Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N96 First Impressions - Everything I love an...

Advisor

Re: Nokia N96 First Impressions - Everything I love and hate.

i need to reduce the 'bass' in the main phone ear-speaker cause i cant make out what my friends are saying at times. Not even sure if this is firmware related. I think i'll just sell and call it quits on nokias. a 900 dollar phone with the reception of a 10 dollar one is all i got.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

for the people that said that the upgrade made their device worse, back up your data and hard reset the phone, *#7370#, then perfom the upgrade again and see if it works better. if it works well i would manually reinstall all my data again
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Wow. I am a bit nervous. I was just about to dump my N82 and get the N96 but for the most part, my N82 out performs the N96. I will continue to run with the N82 as my work phone and use my iPhone as my all about phone. Please keep those reviews coming in. Thanks for the info.

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

26-Sep-2008 10:59 PM
gdigenis wrote:
for the people that said that the upgrade made their device worse, back up your data and hard reset the phone, *#7370#, then perfom the upgrade again and see if it works better. if it works well i would manually reinstall all my data again

Which are you recommending, hard reset (3-finger salute) or *#7370# (soft reset)? Or both?

In the past I've noticed that a simple revert to factory defaults *#7780# has solved many instabilities that have arisen straight after a firmware upgrade, on both S40 and S60 phones.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I've tried that, doesn't work.

Done nothing.

In fact, all it did was lock me out of the transformer movie included and I now get a 'No key' message.

It really annoys me.

Another problem is, the n96 groups certain settings.

So the internet locks in my network's wap setting in, and doesn't ask me what I want to use.

The problem is, my network has two, one for mobile browsing, one for app and internet usage.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Are you guys for real? Or you are just kidding with us. From what I hear is that, N96 is a dissapointment.

N95-1 has been around for more than a year, N95-2 has been around for about a year, we have V30 software already with N95. What I mean is that N96 should be much more than what I am hearing here. It should be well refined and all set.

From what I hear here, It sounds like N96 is like a "brand new technology" just came out.

Nokia Guys why don't you test these devices well enough before you release them?

Just unbelievable!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

took mine back to the shop and after much arguing convinced them to replace it. They handed me a new cell but i knew better than to just walk out without testing it, whether it was new or not. Upon testing, the quality of the ear speaker on the newer cell was even worse than my own. A friend had brought along a really old nokia 6210 and we made the seller listen to the reception quality of the older 6210 which was at least twice as clear as the n96's.

this is just way too pathetic. after a whole year, these guys just come up with a larger version of the n81 with the features of the previous n95 8 gb and instead of at improving it the slightest, it turns out having more problems.

I'll just switch the xperia.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Check to see if 3D sounds are turned on and if so turn them off as this fixed my problem
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Love: e-mail sync with outlook (without 3rd party software).
N95-3; n95-1
Please use plain text.
Advisor

@therev, does not work.

Another few things that annoy me. If you add more than 20 people to a text message it FORCES you to send it as an MMS. Because it includes the name list in the size of the message (which is so stupid).

Additionally, there is a HUGE glitch that I just discovered.

If you are sending a text, to lets say 21 people.
As the phone is starting to change from SMS to MMS mode, quickly press send. Everyone receives their text message HOWEVER it shows up as coming from the first person on the list as the sender.

That is so weird.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hate: Slow unresponsive texting. I could always text quickly and it would register on my N95 8GB. This you have to text slow for it to recognise what your pressing. Right pain! Also needs to be a be a bit quicker, things take to long to open. So far not seeing huge improvements from the N95 8GB.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I hate looking for the Calendar all the time..the texting IS slow...and the font too small!!! I really wish there was a way to increase the supposedly "large" font...sigh...and you can't insert a phone number either...(in your text)?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Ahh the texting is really getting on my nerves. I contacted nokia but as of yet, not a reply!
Ahh well i will see how it goes, if its that bad i believe vodafone offer a 14 day exchange or refund..
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'm tired of this auto conversion.

BY the way, I discovered that the HASH button replaces the 'Pencil' buttons function for copying and pasting.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

N96 performing generally not as good as N95 8GB was really to be expected. If you guys who had a N95 8GB and switched to N96, you must not have documented yourself at all before buying. There were numerous reviews before the launch of the N96 explaining the to-be-expected downgrade in general performance with enough technical argumentations. Many reviewers states N95 8GB owners would better stick to their device and not move to N96 unless they would *absolutely* need the DVB-H extention.
So you were warned....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Where are these reviews?

On engadget, AAS, Mobile-Review, they ALL state that it's a great phone apparantly.

Also Nokia stated that they used a weaker processor and removed the 3d graphics chip BECAUSE Nokia said the phone was now more efficient.

However let's all assume from now on that the N97 will be worse than the n96, and the N94-16gb will be better than the n95.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi,

My software version is v10.065. I understand the newest version is v11.018. However when I check for updates via my phone or by NSU, I am told there are no new updates...

Am I being daft?

Cheers,
Dave
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
maybe there isn't has any update for ur product code yet.

Message Edited by angelpoli on 02-Oct-2008 12:55 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

It could be a couple of days/weeks before the the update is rolled out for all product codes so be patient. Mine is still stuck at V10 as well, hopefully not for much longer.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you (both) for your help.

Dave.
Please use plain text.