Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N96 Screen Problem

Nokia N96 Screen Problem

Hello all...need some help if possible!

I've had a Nokia N96 for about a year now, all has been fine and dandy with it until recent.

The screen started to freeze occasionally when trying to read a message but worked okay if I removed the battery and turned it back on again.

Earlier today I went to read a message and the screen went completely blank, not even the white screen, no lights nothing, apart from the key lights. I removed the battery as usual and turned it back on again, which it vibrated and made the welcome noise, but the screen was still blank, no white screen.

I have tried charging the phone, waited 20 mins with the battery out, removed sim card and still nothing, just a blank screen as though the phone isn't on!

Help would be much appreciated as im stuck of ideas!

Thanks guys!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
illinjah

Re: Nokia N96 Screen Problem

[ Edited ]

That sounds pretty odd...

Maybe a reinstall of the firmware will do the trick.

You can update your phone using the NSU:

Nokia Software Updater

All you need for this is a internet connection and a data cable for your phone!

Make sure you backup your data before! :smileyhappy:

Let us know if this led to anything... 

Message Edited by illinjah on 28-Dec-2009 09:55 AM
By clicking the "Kudos!" or the "Solution?" button on the right you can say "Thank You" and you´ll show the author and others that the post is useful.

The day we stop improving is the day we stop being good.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

that is really weird mine done exactlly the same on the 27th dec, working fine went blank screen can turn on or off OK able to sync with PC Suite but blank screen. just a coincident????? looks like a job for Mulder and Scully !!
Please use plain text.
joechots

. could you let me know if Re: Nokia N96 Screen Problem

Hi

I have got the same problem with my N96, could please tell me if you got if fixed and how..

Thanx

ametcalfe21 wrote:

Hello all...need some help if possible!

I've had a Nokia N96 for about a year now, all has been fine and dandy with it until recent.

The screen started to freeze occasionally when trying to read a message but worked okay if I removed the battery and turned it back on again.

Earlier today I went to read a message and the screen went completely blank, not even the white screen, no lights nothing, apart from the key lights. I removed the battery as usual and turned it back on again, which it vibrated and made the welcome noise, but the screen was still blank, no white screen.

I have tried charging the phone, waited 20 mins with the battery out, removed sim card and still nothing, just a blank screen as though the phone isn't on!

Help would be much appreciated as im stuck of ideas!

Thanks guys!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Cannon86

Re: . could you let me know if Re: Nokia N96 Screen Problem

Has any one had any luck fixing this issue yet? My N96 has this problem as well.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

Probably a software issue.

You could start by updating the firmware if there is an update available. If not then you could try resetting your phone.

To check for updates, make sure you backup your phone first, then type *#0000# followed by Options>Check for updates.

You will need to go online to do the above so make sure you are within range of your wifi if you do not have a data bundle.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
diablo_4386

I have the exact same problem, mobile turns on, can make and receive calls but no screen or lights on keypad.

Resetting the phone or firmware upgrade didn't solve the problem :smileysad:
Please use plain text.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

It appears myself and others have had the same problems outlined in the OP, as for myself it was even an intermittent problem before it became a seriously problem as described, but no solutions.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sam_j

hi there reading you post that you wrote about reset the nokia n96 becaus ethe screen went blank. ive now got the same problem the only thing is i cant see the screen to do anyof this..?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sam_j

hi there was reading your post about the n96 nokia screen blanked out well mine has done the same thing it was in my poscket i checked the time put it bk. came out the post office to make call and it was blank did you manage to solve this. i cant even update it because i have bno screen..?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
iain39

My N96 has done the same - the screen is blank and the phone can't be used.  All these suggestions of upgrading the firmware are not helpful because i can't see the screen!  There must be a hardware problem somewhere; how does one get the attention of Nokia on this site? 

The standard answer form the phone shops is a sad shake of the head and "well, I've neve rheard of this before..".  If you persevere, the final resort is to track down a harrassed backroom engineer - by consulting each and every one of the other sales staff in turn to find his location - who finally emerges with a look on his face that says, "I have three seconds for you, make it quick," and gives you his opinion - a sad shake of the head.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Jampe

iain39,

Sorry to hear about the issue but welcome to the forum! Please try the solution given in this thread by 

Hope you get the best solution for you!

If the answer solves your issue, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION button so other users can benefit from it as well. Giving a kudos (the white star) if my answer has helped will be appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

[ Edited ]

Hi iain39,

I believe it is a hardware problem not a software problem. If you are able to switch on the phone and the device vibrates and there is nokia tune sound or upon switching the phone wait for it to load and connect it to Nokia Suite or Pc Suite and the phone is detected and shown as connected to the computer but the screen is still blank then the flex cable must be broken or damaged and go to your nearest Nokia Care Center for repair.

You can also have a look at this thread and see the attachments provided by zarzonis at the start of the thread and it will show an image of a damaged flex cable and that is the cause

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.