Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 cover defect: Scratched the back cam...

Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Nokia N97 cover defect: Scratched the back camera lens:(

[ Edited ]

fishfingers wrote:

Psycomania, you talk like a corporation boy, are you in the pay of Nokia?

LOL :smileyvery-happy: Like that hasn't been said before :smileyvery-happy:

I simply talk like someone who lives in the real world, knows how things work and knows how this forum works. 

It's well known that nokia's support in many countries sucks, especially in the UK, but the sad truth is that you hear the same stories reading almost any other major manufacturers official forum.  

Message Edited by psychomania on 12-Aug-2009 05:28 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

fishfingers wrote:

But as they don't want to then it is time to tick the maximum publicity box and start emailing links to the national press, gadget and mobile web sites, magazines and tv shows, if they don't want to silence us with a fault free product then lets all shout about it being the piece of rushed out junk that it is.

Finally someone has come up with the idea that I have been waiting for. This is the thing to do. One thing you should never forget: document things, document things, document things, document things.  

Show the KUDOS button some love.... Hit that bad boy.... It don't hurt....

Apple iPhone 5,
Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Mini, Nikon D4

Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

I support Sapporobaby in this one. Seems that somebody doesn't really understand what you've been trying to say, or actually saying. 
Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Agreed, if people really want to make a difference they need to get the media involved.  I'm not talking about obscure blogs, sites or forums but the real mainstream media.

For example UK users with this fault could contact BBC's watchdog which should be back on TV soon. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

Not once have I ever said that there are no valid complaints in this thread, but what is the end game? That Nokia will cry mea culpa and admit fault? Ain't never in a blazillion years going to happen. Once again, as long as there are no N97 deaths, Nokia will not issue a recall or admit fault. Only when the E90's keyboard issue hit mainstream media did Nokia come out to say that they have a SMALL amount of phones that require service. Then they subsequently replaced phones as customers brought them in. This is the same type of issue. 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

You could always start with an online petition. Just a thought. I have seen quite many of these gain traction. They key is to be fact based and filter out the: "Nokia sucks" types that will surely frequent the petition and offer nothing.

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Sage

sapporobaby wrote:
Not once have I ever said that there are no valid complaints in this thread, but what is the end game? That Nokia will cry mea culpa and admit fault? Ain't never in a blazillion years going to happen. Once again, as long as there are no N97 deaths, Nokia will not issue a recall or admit fault. Only when the E90's keyboard issue hit mainstream media did Nokia come out to say that they have a SMALL amount of phones that require service. Then they subsequently replaced phones as customers brought them in. This is the same type of issue. 
What is the end game?  Are you being deliberately obtuse?!  
The end game is a lens cover design that does not scratch the lens!  If one was available for fitment tomorrow, this thread would die.
I am on my third (yes 3) lens cover and scratches are still appearing.  Even if I had to pay my own money, up to a sum of £20-30 to buy a new cover, I would.
All we want is a fix.  I don't want them to beg for forgiveness, or recall every N97.  Just get a fixed cover design out, and allow their customers to get the issue resolved.  

Please use plain text.
Sage

The end game should be to change company policy, just because they schedule a launch date does not mean the product is ready, the N97 is a gleaming example of this, UK launch June 26th, Firmware update released July 1st, with over 100 bug fixes.

What does this tell us, it tells us that Nokia was working on 100 bugs before the UK launch and knowingly launched a defective product with over 100 known problems, and that was before users found out about the duff GPS, the scratching camera lens cover and whited out pictures (probably a miss timed flash)

If we let them get away with it they will do it time and again, its time they tested things properly before releasing them, so we would have to wait a month or two more, would it not have been worth it? 

Please use plain text.

i contacted the BBC watchdog program.

my second nokia n97 (made in china) has started to scratches on the lens cover between the lens and flash.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

My mistake for not being clear. When I asked what is the end game I was referring to this thread, not the ultimate fix for your phones. This is truly the end game. 

As for Nokia changing their policy. Get real. Not gonna happen. Apple is no better, Sony Ericsson is worse in that they will not fix the problem ever, and so on. The best you and everyone else can hope for is that Nokia will silently recall the phones via local dealers.

The idea about contacting a consumer protection agency is spot on. I would make copies of this thread or point them in this direction and show the amount of customer dissatisfaction. 

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I emailed watchdog a couple of weeks ago. not had any response though...

*sigh*

I'm thinking that rather than use Nokia Don't Give A Flying F*** Care, I might just start sending my phone back to Nokia every time the lens scratches itself again...

Here's the Nokia freepost return form: -

http://www.nokia.co.uk/NOKIA_UK_23/EUROPE_NOKIA_COM_3/Get_Support/Repair/freepost_forms/Freepost-ret...

Visit Daves N97 Freeware Collection - http://www.davecozens.com/n97
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Petition available at http://www.petitiononline.com/N97lens/petition.html

D

Visit Daves N97 Freeware Collection - http://www.davecozens.com/n97
Please use plain text.
Sage

Sapporobaby, Nokia  agents replaced E90 just when customers made "big noise"  other wise the just reject that there is a problem.

This is when change in the designed can be seen by eye...

What you expect in N97 when its all much less clear?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sapporobaby

[ Edited ]

e90n95 wrote:

Sapporobaby, Nokia  agents replaced E90 just when customers made "big noise"  other wise the just reject that there is a problem.

This is when change in the designed can be seen by eye...

What you expect in N97 when its all much less clear?

I think I mentioned this. You are telling me what I already said, so what is your point?
Message Edited by sapporobaby on 13-Aug-2009 05:12 PM

Apple iPhone 5,

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ace02

Very disappointed!!!!!!!!

Had the phone just over 3 weeks and the camera lens is scratched. Perfectly straight lines which backs up what other users have been saying about the poorly designed cover. I have been ensuring that the phone has been dust free, clean and cased as i had waited a long time for it. A team of secret service agents could not have done a better job. My last phone a nokia lasted over two years with hardly a mark on it and other nokia phones prior to that have been passed on and used without any defects for even longer.

Some stores have stopped stocking them due to software problems but mine has been fine except for this pathetic camera lens cover. The 5mp camera was a significant factor in deciding to purchase this phone

How has such a basic flaw been overlooked?

Mine is going back and will keep going back until i get no scratches. The lens cover is not fit for its purpose. A design flaw or manufacturing flaw, call it what you like. The users of the phone and forum have every right to put their theories forward as to how this situation arose. In the long run, it will benefit Nokia  and ultimately its loyal but slowly diminishing customer base from the lessons learned.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jmoulding

Have Posted this website on digitalspy so more uk users may see

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chrispyweener

It's things like this that will push people away from Nokia permanently.  They, like many other manufacturers depend on consumer loyalty a great deal but there is a limit to peoples tolerance of under par products.  Win Mo put me off HTC phones (at least until they get away from their horrible resistive screens and Win Mo 6.5 / 7 appears properly) and now I'm very reluctant to buy another Nokia after 2 bad experiences on the trot.  The N95 I bought was brilliant, and once I'd sorted the wobbly slider with the sticky tape fix it was rock solid, if a little dated.  It's replacement, the N85 had things the N95 didn't like USB charging, AMOLED screen, better flash etc but the slider was terribly loose and can't be fixed as it's a sealed unit.  Also the front panel for the buttons (not the numerical keypad) is held on by double sided tape from the factory.  This goes soft and the panel peeled off.  Finally the battery cover was also loose and creaked all the time.  In essence it all felt like utter rubbish and very cheap.  Shame it wasn't cheap to buy.

Sticking to brand loyalty I gave Nokia another go after reading that the build quality on the 97 had been sorted, almost to E series standards.  Slider wise this is true - it's quite good (although needs 2 hinges on both sides not just one on the right) but the camera housing as a whole has not been thought through properly with left hand side  flash white out and self inflicted scratches from the cover.  A creaky battery cover and non-functional GPS were the final straws - it got sent back, but not after the people from Nokia care were rude to me on the phone, asking why I'd bought it if there were so many problems with it.  Unbelievable.

Decided to give Samsung a go instead now with the i8910 Omnia HD.  Nokia loyalists slate them for their product support which I now find amusing after sampling Nokia's 'dedication' to build quality and support first hand who are no better in my opinion.  Others may have had better experience but as is the way with forums, you don't tend to hear of such things often.

Nokia N85 and Samsung i8910 HD
Did have White N97and N95-1
Please use plain text.
Contributor

chrispyweener wrote:

Slider wise this is true - it's quite good (although needs 2 hinges on both sides not just one on the right)

Apart from the camera, that is my second biggest problem with the phone, when open the right hand side doesnt feel anywhere near as solid as it should. Half the time when opening it feels the screen will fly off, that woblyness when open doesn't ease the worries. And its not like i open it too hard, everyone i see opens it way faster, i just think it would have been good if they made the thing slow down a bit in the last couple of mm when opening, and that second hinge is definately something that is dearly missed. Also I dont know about your phones, but mine had back-light leaks on the top edge of the keyboard, not cool. Right now i just want my phone back from service...you can get nokia sports tracker for it:smileyhappy: (although you have to google it, not on the official site yet)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i just got my my n97 and it has a really smooth slider. i looked under it and the bottom of the lense cover is blue plastic. it doesn't look like the same as these pictures. does that mean i have a fixed one?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

sorry mine scratched and is blue
Please use plain text.