Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem aft...

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem after problem...

I remember the hubub when the n95 was first released. This was much the same. Then 6-8months later a lot was fixed and then everyone wanted an n95...Then with the 5800 last year as well, flasgship music device...First six months a lot of whiners, then right now a lot of people are loving the 5800. I can vouch for that since in another forum, there are rants about the 5800 as well, but when one guy posted a rant like this to the 5800 urging others to not buy the thing, he got 20 pages worth of replies saying to ignore the first post and buy the thing, all of which from 5800 owners who are now loving their device. Its normal nowadays for devices to be released with a number of bugs, especially from market leaders simply because they have deadlines and designing these kinds of devices needs time, and sometimes the workers have to make do with what they have at the deadline since they do not want to lose their jobs.

Ever since the newer more sophisticated phones started coming out, its been my policy to not buy a model that is less than  6 months old, as obviously it would be buggy due to immature software and bug fixings. Since then, even if I buy phones that have a record of being buggy, I haven't experienced the frustrating situations earlier buyers have been complaining about. The best thing I could tell everyone is to follow the same policy, and you'll be happier with your phones.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.

Let me advice on base of my experience how to make N97 at least partially working. Remarko to above post - I bought unlocked N97 for a FULL price.

1. Hard reset and then move BOINGO from apps folder somewher... Unfortunatelly you can't delete it. NOKIA customer service service confims me that.

2. Make your homepage empty. If you still need smth ob it, definitelly do NOT place their on-line apps or on-line widgets. 

3. Chose storage space for messages, e-mail & etc mass storage memory, NOT phone memory.

4. Do NOT forget close apps after using it.

In my case it makes my N97 partially working.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Definetly the worst Nokia phone i have had! The phone and its features are brilliant. IF THEY WORKED!! I'm on my second phone and though its not as bad as the first im still having problems.

Problems with old one were

• freezing
  • Rebooting
  • Memory Problems
  • E-mail issue

New phones problems:

I have read this everywhere and its happened to me and that is the lense of the camera gets scratched by the cover and itis now useless as a camera.

Charging Issues

I plug in the charger and sometimes it does not register but acknowledges me removing the charger.

Reboot usually fixes this problem

Not enough Memory

Yes we know thatthat we have use the mass memory but most come set as phone memory as default and before you know it its too late, your phone is o messed up because the memory is full that its difficult to fix.

For those unsure what to do follow these instructions and your problems should improve:

got to Messages - Options - Settings - Other - and swap the memory use to mass memory and reboot but it really helps to delete any texts pictures or widgets first rom phone memory.

Widgets on home screen not opening (find this happens usually after a reboot)

Follow the above instructions and switch to phone memory then reboot, once rebooted they should work and you just swap it back to mass memory.  

Writing details ont my calendar and the screen deletes everything that i have wrote and i have to start again, this happens when writing texts too but not as often as the calendar.

Still a problem and haven't worked out how to sort it.

My freind tried to get this phone off the Orange Network and she was told that they would no longer be issuing this phone as it has too many bugs, they said that they had found over 30!! and would release it when their engineers had confidence in the product and at present they dont.

I really do love this phone but its like a girl you are in love with who keeps being unfaithfull to you, how long before you say no more!

Please use plain text.
Sage
princemarvin

Hi all,

I know that most of us, including myself, were totally disappointed with the N97 software bugs & hardware problems.. I totally agree with most of your posts..

However, honestly it's not as bad as you think it is.. There are so many work-arounds on this forum regarding the "C:" Memory & RAM issues, some firmwares fixed some bugs but surely not all.. Some issues will never be solved like the low size of "C:" & RAM & most annoyingly the scratched camera lens. But other things are solved with firmware v12 or will be with v20... The phone is yet at infancy & as some of you mentioned with N95 & 5800XM, things got better with time.. I believe Nokia's mistake was to launch the phone fast to the market to keep pace with competition thinking that bug fixes will come with time.. They simply did not think of us, end users.. The only good thing is that firmware updates are coming faster than it used to be with N95 & 5800XM & this keeps us hoping that bugs & other issues will be fixed with time...

I general, I believe that the N97 is a good phone, not perfect & not a flagship, but to me I currently do not find major issues using v12 firmware..

If you like my post & find it helpful click on the Kudos button... Thanks.. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

You know what??? I paid $870 Canadian in June of 07' for the N95 and now $900 for the N97 in July of 09'. Both times I had to pay a hefty premium to have the phone delievered to Canada. Never, ever again. I am absolutely DISGUSTED with Nokia and this will be the LAST NOKIA I EVER BUY. What does it say about a company that produces a flagship phone that is so buggy that I've had to hard reset it over a dozen times in 3 months because it has become unresponsive. This same thing happened to me with the N95-1 and I got no support from Nokia whatsoever. It took more than half a year for them to "take the phone to it's full potential". Great!!! Now that the technology is 3 years old I can finally USE MY PHONE!??!?! WHAT A DEAL!!! As far as the N97, I try to install Nokia Messaging but the absolutely prehistoric pre-installed email app always seems to over take it somehow.

I can not believe, at all, that Nokia seems to think that it will be able to take on Apple with this "lets charge the first wave of users a 1000 dollars for our 'flagship' phone and then have them give us feedback so we can make it a funcational phone". This is why windows uses testers for free... And MS is not even that moral of a company. Not only is Symbian not user friendly, at all, but all of the reasons to buy the N97 are COMPLETELY NEGATED BY THE FACT THAT THEY ALWAYS SEEM TO BREAK DOWN WHEN YOU NEED THEM!!!!!! Push email, can't get Nokia Messaging running. Facebook app, unresponsive. GPS, barely enough ram to run with all other apps shut down.

The point is, if you buy a Mercedes, it does not break down 5 times a month. Nokia is done, forever. I foresee massive problems with the N900 and I bet I'll be right. The only way this could be acceptable is if I were a beta tester. And I am, but I'm not a willing one at all, and I paid for a phone that I did not recieve. I received the shell of this phone and a lie. Nokia

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Funny thing I saw on the net. I'm not sure if it would apply to everyone here though. It concerns buying unlocked/unbranded phones. All the while I thought buying unlocked/unbranded phones was the way to go to avoid bugs. Then I learned that there are some stores who sell the phones for the premium price for that particular region but actually got them for cheaper from a supplier other than the ones designated for their country. For example, a European store wants to sell the n97, but the Nokia factory in Hungary sells the units more expensively than the factory in Malaysia does, so the store orders in bulk from Malaysia, which has in fact different software settings not really intended for Europe (language packs for example). Then the store people flashes some patch into the phone software to install the language packs and other stuff. Consumers then buy unknowingly, and when they install software, or update firmwares, some issues happen which may lead to various problems on their phones.

This likely does not apply to those bought from nokia showrooms that are having problems, but still this does say there are risks buying unlocked phones.

http://techyoddsandends.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-language-has-disappeared-from-my.html

@vkob87- Nokia isn't the only one with this problem. Samsung, the second biggest mobile producer had severe issues with the Omnia HD upon release just like the n97. The recently released SE Satio which on paper is better than the n97, has issues. An SE fanboy confirmed it to me that it was even worse than the 5800's (In terms of responsiveness, speed and feel, all this on something running at 600mhz procs), and he ended up buying his first non SE phone (an Omnia HD, lol). And if you'll see, all of those are flagship models. So what are you going to do now? Go Moto?? Apparently Apple is the only one with less issues (there was the exploding Iphone issue with a number of people injured in europe and NAM), but then the company which is around as big as Nokia has only like 3 phones to care for unlike the nokia lineup with what, 20 models? Crying out like this isn't going to get you anywhere saying Nokia is done for because of such **bleep** support when the rest of the competition has the same thing going for them. It's just that there are more Nokia users than that of other companies, that's why issues with their phones are more apparent.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Ok then I guess I'll just buy the Iphone. The most restrictive phone ever, but at least it DOES WHAT IT PROMISES TO DO. Nothing more, nothing less. Considering that people who buy the N97 are willing to spend so much on a phone, Nokia is going to lose their most important customers.

Once again, since you didn't get it the first time. I don't care what samsung or SE or w/e is doing with their phones. I did not, and will never again, pay so much money to a beta tester. This isn't something I want to have and can afford to have it off for a few days while it gets fixed or while I'm spending ALL DAY TRYING TO FIX IT!!! Cellphoens are now indispensable and they have to work. HAVE TO WORK. No serious business person will ever own a phone thats this buggy. Ever, ever every. I'm getting a blackberry or an Iphone next time and I'm leaving Nokia forever because they betray my loyalty.

Message Edited by vkob87 on 13-Oct-2009 05:47 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

[ Edited ]

It seems we both did not get each others post very well. From the tone of your post I might have misinterpreted a bit. However you misinterpreted what I said as well. I did not mean to imply anything other than the fact that Every "flagship" phone out there has its issues. Even blackberry with their windows mobile software has issues. Its almost a fact of everyday life that anyone buying a new model from any brand in the end becomes a beta tester of sorts. The Omnia users, the Satio users, the Iphone users even. That's why there are firmware updates. Otherwise, if the phone was perfect from the onset, why bother with updates if there are no bugs to fix or features to add?

i'm not saying that Nokia is so great, or that the phone is great, or Nokia sucks or the phone sucks. What I'm trying to say is that to get a wider perspective. Yes phones are meant to works as they should, but then again the designers aren't the ones assembling the phones, Nokia also aren't the ones who build the parts and pieces of their phones. Things happen in the building and shipping process that the companies have no control over.  I've yet to hear of ANY smartphone that has had no problems upon the outset. Best thing is to do to be not a beta tester is to simply not buy a new release model. SImple as that. Buy a model (I'm not talking about Nokia exclusively. Applies to any brand) that has had at least one major firmware update. Any model that's about at least 6months old fits the bill. For example, the biggest n97 firmware is coming (rumored release) tomorrow, and its also less than 6months old. I bought my phones when their models were all older than 6 months and they all were free of the problems everybody else seems to complain about. Of course if you are indeed going for the Iphone its different, since as I said, they have a small lineup.

The situation why the Iphone seems so great from a bug point of view is the size of the company and their portfolio. It like this, lets say for example that Apple has 100 development employees who must take care of a lineup of 4 laptops, 1 desktop, 1 phone and the different ipods. Then Nokia has also 100 employees for development to take care of what? a lineup of 40 odd devices? 

So I'm leaving you with a choice of going for the Iphone, or going for a unit that's 6 months old and does everything you'd expect it to do.^_^ 

EDIT: please note that English is not my first language since I am an Asian. Its possible that you may misinterpret what I'm trying to say again. peace...^_^

Message Edited by chanchan05 on 13-Oct-2009 07:19 AM
Please use plain text.

i have n 5800 and a siemens cx65, siemens is my primary phone, i have it for a 5 years, NEVER NERVER any problems for 5 years, amazing!

new complicated technology makes thing bug-e.

i would newer use something (for important, primary stuff) before trying it for a months. 

SEMENS RULES! 

Please use plain text.

I have mostly had Nokia phones, and always been happy with them. But the N97 has changed all that, and actually so much that I'm leaving Nokia for good. I have never had, or even heard of, any phone with so many problems. The list of bugs is so long I won't even bother listing it out, but this is it for me. After several service attempts I am now expecting my money back this week, and are now getting a HTC Hero instead. From what I'm reading here in the forum and around the net, a lot of people are also looking elsewhere.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

I got to say that I am quite happy with my n97 device. Never had any trouble with it really. Had a few freezes right after buying it, but i did this.

Hard reset by using the hardwarebuttons (not *#7380# or what it was again. The buttonreset gives you more space on C:!!!

Then i Updated the FW, or in your cases you might reinstall it, then do another hard reset of your phone - and ready to use. It solved mye problems. Remeber you will delete almost everything, so you should backup your contacts etc...

Try that first. It might not fixe it if you have some hardware issues, but i fixed my phone. Had it since end of july - no problems.

Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

i guess it was *#7370#
Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I feel Nokia should be ashamed of themselves for allowing a useless phone like the N97 to be launched. If they had balls they wouyld recall the phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Have Nokia any pride? I don't think so. What was once a leading cell phone manufacturer they have now been over taken by others. They are releasing phone that are not properly tested then expect the clients to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Why can't we buy somethibng that works first time. Perhaps Nokia should stick to selling tyres.
Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

Good GOD!!!!! What a bunch of whiners!!! First of all, its a common sense to do some research before buying a phone!!!! So many people on here are saying all the bad things they can about Nokia, well guess what, Nokia don't care what you say here, I mean yeah, they should have worked another year on this phone and done some things differently but you know what, its too late, phone is out and if you don't like what you got, sell the damn thing and go get yourself and stupid Iphone.

I had my N97 for about 3 months and I'm even happier with it after the FW 2.0. Before buying the phone I did my research and honestly I knew its not a great phone but I've always enjoyed Nokia phones and decided to get the phone, took me a bit to get use to it but was definitely worth it. I only paid $550 lol because I was patient, now for those geniuses that paid $800 for it, well all I can say is its your own damn fault lol you could have waited and seen how the phone is and waited for the price to drop then bought it. so stop **bleep**. Like others mentioned, phones like N95 or the 5800 weren't good at first but Nokia fixed the problems. I'm sure with the next FW upgrade things going to be even better for N97 and whoever doesn't like their N97 well please sell it so we don't have to hear your **bleep** anymore lol.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I bought a Nokia n97 in oct 2009 and ever since it has been a
nightmare experience with the phone. The phone is one of the worst
products Nokia has made. Most programs give a memory full warning and
are very slow. Nokia updated the firmware and it did fix some issues
but the memory issues continued. I had to download opera 10 browser
bcoz the native nokia browser would not load a lot of websites
properly and would crash.

Then is Dec nokia updated the ovi store, and that made my life hell.
After updating the ovi store my phone rebooted and it started freezing
up at the "NOKIA" startup logo. pulling out the battery and restarting
did not help.

Then i called nokia and nokia gave me a ups shipping label to send the
phone to a repair center. I was without a phone for 4-5 days and Nokia
was fast to fix the phone and send it back in 5 working days.

Once i got the phone back i noticed the "mail for exchange" was
missing, i used mail for exchange to back up my contacts to google. I
could not find "mail for exchange" on the ovi store. Then i tried to
find it on there website but with no luck. Then i called nokia and
they helped me download the Mfe clinet for N97, only after hanging up
the call did i find out that the version was incompatible with the
phone. Then i called nokia support again asking where i can find the
correct version, they could not solve my issue and asked me to switch
off the phone for half an hour and then try to install it (clearly the
tech support agent wanted to get off my call). But i insisted the it
would not help, they she said she would be escalating the call for
tech 2 support and i would be getting a call back. But that never
happened.

After a day after above call, the phone started to restart randomly.
It would restart when i tried to take a picture, some times when i
tried to unlock the keypad or when it was connected to the computer.

And again i called the tech support, the tech support agent tried to
help me and suggested i reset the phone to factory default. But that
did not help the mail for exchange issue or the random restart issue,
he tried to contact tech 2 support only to find out they were busy. He
promised i would get a call from tech 2 support. After the end of next
day still no call from nokia.

So i called tech support again, this time the agent walked to the tech
2 guys cubical and came back and assured me that i was put on the
highest priority and would be getting a call within 24 hours. Its been
more that 24 hours and i have not got any call from nokia. Neither the
mail for exchange issue or the random restart issue has been fixed.

So far i have spent nearly 2 to 3 hours with tech support and still no
fix for my issues.

I have had a lot of nokia phones before, started with 3310, n70, n73,
n79, n95 and e71. All very very good phones, but the N97 is a
nightmare.

Think 100 times before buying a nokia. I think nokia is one of the worst smart phone makers.
Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

I just love it how people say Nokia is one of the worse phones ever!! Seriously, yeah N97 might not be one of Nokias best phones but they've had plenty of good phones, so dude, I'm sorry about your situation, it has to be a hardware issue, maybe you need to send it in so they send you a new one, I've been happy with my N97 so are many other people. Every phone is going to have problems, Nokia made a big mistake by bragging about this phone and now its biting them in the **bleep** lol if they just released it, there wouldn't be as much huss :smileytongue: well if would have been better if they were patient and took there time but again, too late for that huh!!

Anyways send your phone in and get a knew one or do a hard reset, I sure haven't had any problem with OVI and I have downloaded my mail for exchange on ovi with no problems. If you manage your phone memory and C drive right, you shouldn't have any restarting problems. Anyways, sorry to hear about your problem but don't **bleep**ing accuse Nokia of being the worse phone just caz N97 has problems... Send it back DUDE!!! get a new one and then sell it and get something else and then you can start **bleep** about that phone's problems lol. No phone is perfect..

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i had the nokia e71 and it was a great phone. But the N97 is the worst phone, much older phones like the g1 perform better than the n97. A product says what the company is. Based on that i am blaming nokia. When i spend $470 in a country where u get the DROID and the iphone for $200 of less, the product better be gud. 

I already sent the phone once, how many more time should i send the phone. i am so much dependent on the phone for my day to day work, and if the phone needs to be sent again and again to nokia, it sucks. When i bought the phone i knew for sure it would have minor issues. but the issues are really BAD. This is not even production quality. How the hell this phone passed the QC speaks what kind of quality control Nokia has today. And the team designing these phones probably doesn't care about the customers. 

I have already stopped a lot of my friends from buying the E72 and n900 by telling my great experience with Nokia, i will continue doing this social work and save the ppl from the horrible Nokia experience. 

The only way nokia can fix this by giving me a phone that just works. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

One more thing, i forgot to tell. I am geeky enough to work around issues with the phone. but because of this bad experience i have decided to drive the tech support cost for nokia up by calling them for every small or any issue i encounter. This is going to be my happy hour of the day.

Until they get me a working phone, i will not stop.  

Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

Understand your problem with N97, but why stopped them from getting an E72, that phone is even better than E71, just because you hate N97 doesn't mean you have to tell everyone not to get any other nokia phone, now that stupid. Oh and well you can always buy a phone online(a non nokia phone so hopefully you don't have to deal with lots of problems that "all" the nokia phones have) then when it arrives, use it that way you can send your nokia N97 in for a new one and then you can sell it.
Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Please use plain text.