Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem aft...

Professor
rasmus

Re: Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem after problem...

Yes, Yes - exaclty.

The Mini also has 'decreased' functionality, so that lets them get away with the same processor etc.   Basically, it sets the tasks performed to match hardware of the phone more realistically - which really highlights how under powered the N97 really is.

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pmorddny

Well so much for the firmware upgrade. My phone is still rebooting randomly, albeit not as often. Also on the positive side, the phone remains on most nights now. Before the upgrade, my phone was in the habit of switching itself off pretty much every night, so I'd wake up and have to turn on the phone. Nice! Eagerly awaiting the next firmware update. I'm hoping that by this time next year, they'll finally have the os sorted out. Of course, many of us will have given up on the phone by then.

Please use plain text.
lienshi

[ Edited ]

NOkIA serioiusly, your management needs to take CUSTOMER SATISFACTION has a first priority now, rather than making buggy phones. I was betrayed when you guys released n900 shortly after n97 (supposed to be flagship) and my n97 still awaits version 2.0 upgrade.

I'm now waiting for new iphone release so that I can get rid of this phone in like 400$ in ebay, you burnt my money nokia, and untill and unless you stick to what I've written above, you'll loose once faithful customer like me. Bye

oh yah and if you think you put in cool features in n900 so that dev community will make more apps sorry to disappoint but serioulsly your management needs to take some customer satisfaction course! i'm not buying n900 maemo even I admit its better than the iphone, you people let us down, still waiting for 6 months to get rid of all the issues, what a joke!

Please use plain text.
mungo1981

I've never in my life been compelled to write anything on one of these forums, but I'm so delighted to find so many kindred spirits united in their disgust at this terrible phone, that I feel I have to join in.

It's 1730 and already today I've had to reboot the phone 7 times... not counting the 2 times it decided to reboot itself.  This is a machine that really cannot handle the amount of technology nokia have tried to build into it.  It is rubbish.  What's more, I can't help but feel that nokia have done a little less than nothing to try and fix the bugs.  Every update seems to make it worse. 

Furthermore, why on earth is there no way to update the software from a macintosh?  This phone gets more infuriating every time I use it and i just can't wait to get myself a blackberry or something else that works.

I WILL NEVER BUY A NOKIA PRODUCT AGAIN

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Link to Facebook Group

Hi guys, please join my facebook group, i hate this phone lets try and get something done about it and stop Nokia from being able to censor our discussions.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Nokia is dead to me. Period.

The slider broke off today in my pocket. I've kept this phone in a case with a screen protector since day one. The phone is 6 months old. I paid more than 700 dollars US from Dell USA to get this phone. I live in Canada and now, I have to provide my own box, pay for my own shipping, ship it out of the US and pick it up in the US. All this would even be acceptable, but I have to pay OUT OF POCKET FOR THE SLIDER, which will be APPROXIMATELY 90-100 dollars. After all the issues I've put up with on the N97, from the terrible performance, to the lens flap that damages the lens, to the dropped calls, this is the straw that broke the camel's back forever.

Nokia should be ashamed of itself, treating its customers this way. This is disgusting. Since 2007 I've owned an N95, which I paid 800 CND for, an N97 which I paid 700 CND for, and an N900 which I paid 520 CND for. I am a power user, and I can't even get any power out of my N97 because it is a poorly designed, underbuilt product. This chipset cannot handle what they promised it would. After this happened to my N97, I'm selling my N900 immediately and I'm never looking back. An iphone feels like a tightjacket, but at least it works and the Genius bar treats you like royalty. The Iphone 3Gs camera is a toy because it doesn't have autofocus (says Nokia's CEO)? YOUR WHOLE PHONE IS A **@*@*@ PAPER WEIGHT! Shame on you nokia! I'm shorting your stock, and I'm telling all my friends to never buy a Nokia ever again.

You are without a doubt, the worst corporation I've ever had the fortune of consuming from.

I wish you (the company, not the people) all the worst, and I sincerely hope you continue to lose market share as the world will be better off without you.

Vladimir Kobiljski 

Please use plain text.
nadirlalla

i agree with everyone that thinks the flagship nokia is the worst. It should of been called "flagsh*t". I hate this phone and will never get another nokia by choice. My n97 has the latest software and now any function that requires the loudspeakers does not work. It is stuck on headphone mode for the past week and no solution woks

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well my one is great and i love it

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
grahamef123

Disaster of a phone - no coverage anywhere

every other phone full bars on same network ( vodafone ireland ) - NOTHING ON N97

Its going back to the shop today !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Henbroon78

I can second what the guy said above. But just to add a fault is tht at times you cannot answer calls and is really doin my head in.

I am currently on my second N97 on the 3 network and the replacement phone I received was refurbished. I just want it to work.

Stuart

Fife

Scotland

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Qundomumbo

I Have the same problems as mentioned. I am definitely disappointed in Nokia. I can't update to the firmware needed and I use my phone for business. I ended up spending about US$700.00 for this phone and it hasn't worked. I will comment that when it does work it is actually a good phone but with the amount of system crashes and phone actually refusing to charge and switch on is not good from a business prospective. I've lost a lot of business due to this phones failure to provide the services it was built for. I pray Nokia can solve my problem. Apparently I'm not the only one faced with this problem.

Please help Nokia! let me feel like I haven't been taken advantage of and robbed blind of my money.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Spot on.

I keep up with these forums to try to find fixes for the continual problems my N97 has.  The fact that I don't need to look up my login details is testament to how often I log on and how bad this phone is.  I too will never buy a Nokia again.  It seems the leap from phone, which they did very well, to smartphone was just too much for them to handle. 

The scratched lens ruins photos, the ovi suite is a joke, you can't move apps from the tiny little main memory to other drives, videos are stop-start, email system is cumbersome, the home screen is appalling, you can't cut-and-paste from web pages, etc etc etc.  It's all been said before.

The N8 might be the best phone in the world and it might very well address all these problems.  It could make it's own beer for all I care - I'm not even going to read the specs because Nokia has poisoned me as a customer.

As soon as the the new financial year comes around and I get a new budget, I'm binning this phone and getting something that actually works.  Normally I give my old phones to friends and family but I'd be too embarrased to give them this disgraceful product.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
somejimmyguy

Well I can say with a straight face that I love my N97.

To be fair though, it's the first smartphone I've owned and my last device was the 6085 lol.

I use it just about every way possible and apart from the odd lock up it's fine, my work friends get lock ups too, (N95 and 5800).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Me too!!

I have now had my N97 almost from day one (a year ago now) and can honestly say that I have been more than happy with it. No scratced lens covering, no repairs needed etc. Yes, there have been a few lock-ups, especially when trying to run too many applications at once.( I have about 80 applications installed and they all run fine separately). The free Nokia navigation is spot on and by using the Skyfire browser I can use the internet to the full (including flash videos, etc.). The BBC iplayer app is also a must for me.I have also installed the latest SPB Mobile Shell which gives a great looking UI. I have around 30mb free memory which seems to be more than enough. I have been looking around for a possible upgrade, but can't find anythying I'd rather have at this stage. My only gripe with Nokia is over their strange firmware upgrade policy, and also with Nokia music - but that's another story (not an N97 problem!)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
amechicc

[ Edited ]

Says who ... I love my device the trusty Nokia N97 ... just like a loved the 6600, and the N95 :smileyhappy:

And I'm still with my N97 until the next flagship ...

check out /t5/Nseries-Devices-and-S60/My-Next-Nseries-or-Nokia-Smartphone/td-p/701841

Ecclesiastes 3
Black Lumia RM-821 1232.5957.1308.0001
Please use plain text.
Contributor

First I would like to state that i am not the kind of newb that can be led around with a cube of sugar. I’ve had almost all of Nokia's flagships and also a good amount of normal daily usage phones.

<p>

Yes. Nokia n97 is just about the worst phone i have ever bought from Nokia.

In terms of looks aesthetics and ergonomics i won't enter because form and function is ones personal choice...in the present case… apparently some dysfunctional ones choice but a choice none the less...

<p>

now onto the new firmware?...well what NEW firmware...because in my opinion it's as if Nokia is the first cell phone or mobile computer company that attempts to reach the old with the new...it's like they "Nokia" try to copy the functions of the iphone. I mean, seriously? ...on this n97 “flagship” you, the user, can't run more than two applications without the phone screaming for ram and space in the palms of your hands...to be compared with 95 or other N division phones...is...well..."is a bit like going up and punching somebody's sainted mother".

<p>

The lags, the lack of memory in c, the stupidly small ram and processor, the UI borrowed from a brick, etc etc etc etc etc and last but not least the cream of this rotten pie the fact that after all this lack of functionality Nokia comes and shoves down our throat applications that can't be deleted "must" be bought and that take the already cramped c:/... and turn it into a small 2 by 2 bathroom behind a dusty bar. And for the poor you that tries the fix given by so many here to use OVI’s move it to the other memory,… tuff luck it’s not actually doing squat the c:/private is still there, still clogging up your phone into an expensive brick.

<p>

My rant could go on for ever…but I have realized one thing over the course of these 9+ years that I’ve been supporting Nokia...Nokia doesn’t support u...(not anymore).

<p>

As a p.s. to u the ever so helpful moderator or ever so helpful user don’t bother telling me what could be fixed. I’ve seen it all, done it all and tried it all. This phone is a waste of my good time and money.

<p>

This year’s end will bring the n8 and perhaps the last phone I will ever buy from Nokia the company that defiantly illustrates the expression "good cop gone bad" in the best possible way.

<p>

Yours truly a sucker and a fool,…

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kevcfc

This is the first time I've ever been compelled to write about a mobile phone. The N97 must be the most unreliable piece of junk I've ever owned. Nokia were always a leader in this sector imho but it will be a long, long long time before I purchase another. I bought this on the strength of the WHICH website, which rated it higher then the iphone 3g. Perhaps if the phone behaved like it was supposed to it might be, but randomly switching off, crashing, refusing to answer calls, refusing to make calls, slider button exiting stage left after only a few months, battery not being able to decide whether it wants to last 12, 24 or 36 hrs regardless of whether apps are running or not.

Just a piece of junk that was rushed out to compete with the iphone from what I can see.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

As a good follow up on the matter even nokia admits that n97 is a disaster. It's just a matter of reading between the lines. Instead of " the phone absolutely met the company's goals for sales volume and revenue" one should read "we took all the money we wanted to take by selling polished sh*t..."

a most interesting page :http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/23/nokia-vp-n97-taught-company-some-tough-lessons/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

not sure if anyone has/have this happen to their N97 before?? it's switching itself off after I'd unplug from the charger.  If I am lucky, the phone would not go dead for sometime...unable to boot up(switching the power button on), and with many tries by removing/reinsert the battery in hope I can switch the phone back on again.

look like this N97 of mine is about to go dead....even with the latest nam firmware.

Please use plain text.