Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem after p...

Counsellor

Re: Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem after problem...

Hello guys, I am here because I have subscribe to this forum. I am also a N97 user last year. Just remember the moment that I open the box, take my lovely N97 out and power it on... Oops! It crashes. Ok ok, that's normal for a smart phone. In the coming few days, It just keep crashing and dopping calls. Ok ok, it's firmware is still young, may be I can wait 1-2 months to receive firmware update. After two months.... Yeah! Firmware 2.0 is out! and it seems much better than 1.x. Finally, I've it installed on my N97 after 3 months of wait. Old problems were still there. Crashes, dropped calls, keylock problems, weak GPS, unusable speaker phone and software lost in OVI store... All these push me towards iPhone, there are many funcations missing in the iPhone. But Apple is totally different from Nokia, all the funcations in the iPhone works perfectly. Compare with my N97, which crashes randomally and many of the promised features are not working. In the past, Nokia gave people a feeling of quality, good service and confidence. But after N97, everything changes. I won't buy Nokia anymore. Now, I live with iPhone happily. Browse the web, check e-mails, play games, Facebook... Everything just works without problem. I want to tell all of you that The main difference between iPhone and N97. I can spend all the time using my iPhone and shopping for iPhone accessories, but with N97, I spend many time to fix the problems and queueing up in Nokia care center. The ultimate solution to fix your problem: forget about this phone and get another phone
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
derivs

I would like to add my total agreement that the N97 is a load of doggy does. Like many of you I trusted the Nokia name and bought the phone based on that trust. But I won't be buying another Nokia EVER AGAIN.

Every day I use the phone there is another problem. Here is a short list:

Some days the battery dies minutes after showing full charge

The GPS doesn't work

The location finder doesn't work

The phone needs rebooting regularly

The screen alignment thingy that supposedly senses what way you are looking at the screen doesn't work most of the time

All in all its a load of rubbish. Anyone looking at this forum and considering buying the Nokia, all I can say is DON'T!!!!

Please use plain text.
Funman

I have been an anti-apple guy. But thanks to nokia n97 which makes me understand the stability of phone is so important. 

It is okay to release a phone with problem. But at least  try to fix the problem instead of releasing another variant model. I do not have to explain the problems since it has been mentioned multiple times by many users.

I have been using nokia for 10 years now. And currently upgraded to boycott nokia products for life. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

just too bad...Nokia already took our money.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I also want to add my name to the N97 disappointed guys ..

Big expectations followed by lots of problems both hardware and software. Internet slang speaking BIG FAIL. Wasted money and nerves.

DISAPPOINTED 4 LIFE

Lumia 920 OS version: 8.0.10521.155
FW revision number: 3047.0000.1326.2002
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

In my case, I'm disappointed with the device's speed, ram and internal memory, and in particular with the music player (WAY TO SLOW). But in general I'm happy with the phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TonyEnglish

" if they had admitted this early on they could have redesigned the N97 either prior to release or shortly after. As it is now there are over two million N97s so they will never do a recall to fix this"

Read that as almost 2 million future apple customers.  Nokia took the decision to release a product that was far from finished with major design flaws.  It sold on their reputation to people who were prepared to spend a lot of money to have their flagship product.  Well the vast majority of those people will not be buying the next big thing from Nokia.  In the UK that handset was £400.  2,000,000 * £400 is a pretty big revenue stream to lose.

Perhaps nokia bought shares in Apple.  I was anti apple before I got my N97 - not anymore though.  At least they tend to work!

I have just updated my n97 to the latest firmware and now it switches its display to landscape mode all the time when the phone is closed.  Brilliant Nokia - I await the next bug fix to see the back of the bug the last bug fix has created!

Please use plain text.
Funman

"Read that as almost 2 million future apple customers.  Nokia took the decision to release a product that was far from finished with major design flaws.  It sold on their reputation to people who were prepared to spend a lot of money to have their flagship product.  Well the vast majority of those people will not be buying the next big thing from Nokia.  In the UK that handset was £400.  2,000,000 * £400 is a pretty big revenue stream to lose.

Perhaps nokia bought shares in Apple.  I was anti apple before I got my N97 - not anymore though.  At least they tend to work!"

You are right, we are the high end users that actually pay a premium price for a good phone. Since they are going to risk their reputation then we should give them what they want. Let's see whether they will regret chasing the high end and ex-loyal nokia users away like us. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Hi folks, well I've frequented these forums over the last year or so, trying to sort out various problems with my N97. But last month I sold it to Mazuma mobile after making the decision to get an iPhone 4, which arrives tomorrow.

I had been willing to wait and see what v30 firmware brought to the phone, but after spending some time with my girlfriends iPhone 4, I suddenly realised, whatever v30 brings, it won't make the N97 even half the phone the iPhone is, let alone the great selection of Android phones now out there.

I loved my N95, but my N97 was a complete joke. The adverts for the phone were misleading showing graphical nuances that just didn't exist in the finished (or rather unfinished) product.

One big reason I stayed with the N97 was because of the near free (and now completely free) Nokia Maps, but ever since V3 that has been a complete mess as well. Features like 'add address from contacts' removed etc which made the software largely a pain to use. When I look at the TomTom iPhone app, is seems painfully clear that it's worth paying £60 to get a GPS system that makes your life easy.

But alas, never an Apple fanboy, infact quite the opposite, I've always been a critic of Apple, but it's not Apple which has won me over, it's Nokia which has pushed me over.

Frankly, I'm not interest in what the N8 or the upcoming QWERTY version looks like, I will never touch Nokia again after the N97 and Apple just got another iPhone user.

I felt very strongly about writing this message, as I want Nokia to read it. I feel cheated, taken for a ride and screwed over each and every time they've released a firmware update for the N97. Hopes dashed each time.

Oh, and by the way, in the end, I actually went through 4 different N97 handsets. The first just died. The second was because the GPS didn't work. The third was again because of the same GPS issues, and the fourth was as a result of the camera lens self harming.

Thanks for everyone's support and help over the last year.

And I'll hopefully see you all over at the Apple iPhone forums.

Jon

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mikemases

Trust me Nokia don't read anything its users say! I e-mailed them asking whether they plan to continue supporting the n97 phone, and whether we can expect any updates beyond v22.

I didn't really expect an answer from them, I only expected to get to get a response along the lines of "We don't know", or "We don't talk about these unless they're offical." Instead what I got was far more insulting! Just some RIDICULOUS generic response how to use the software updater to keep my phone up to date! I made it very clear that my phone had the latest version, and that I was not concerned at all about the update process itself. Just whether Nokia planned to keep maintaining the phone for the forseeable future.

That's beyond avoiding the question, its just taking us for idiots!

Come on Nokia! Stop messing us around like this! We're not stupid, and we know when we're getting jerked about! Stop acting as if this is acceptable!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Adding insult-to-injury...we still keep getting emails and text messages about "Get more out of your N97!"

You know, I'd like to know what BRAND and MODEL cell phone the people at Nokia use every day.  I bet most of them use Blackberrys, iPhones or Androids!

Please use plain text.
Professor
mccoy1

they might use nokia phones but not smartphones:smileyhappy:. More over if one is not exposed to the world, one won't know that better things exist.
Please use plain text.
Sydney_ICON

I am also a user of N97 ,3 weeks ago...and it made me feel so bad and disgusted about the this...most of the applications are not working properly...It was a nice phone designed model but the software itself and some of the application are not working properly..My money were used in a wrong choice of phone....thanx to NOKIA anyway...hope that before they launch or market a new model, they should know what are the negative effect to the users and they must know how to solve all of that before giving it out to the market...hope that NOKIA would rather think of some ways how to ease the pain of the user in having this phone N97...:smileymad: smileymad: smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
k00sh

I want to add my name to the growing number of frustrated N97 users that have now decided never again to purchase a Nokia phone.

Even now, after the latest software updates, and with barely any applications, or other memory using functions active, the damn thing crashes on regular basis. To be tied into an 18 month contract with a phone that essentially does not work and costs as much as it does, it is nothing less than criminal.

It's only sad that the little justice we feel that we can get is to vent on this pointless forum.

I have a suggestion....that may actually get this problem noticed...howabout somebody starts a website called something like www.givingawaymycrappyN97.com and we literally give our N97s away, we don't ask for money as that would clearly assign some sort of positive value to this glorified paperweight. We simply ask for a reason, and pick the best (or worst) one.

Should make it into a few papers/forums and will give this problem the exposure it deserves.

What do you reckon?

In case it's not bloomin obvious.....I really hate this phone....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
angelbabiie

My husband brought the n97 mini and the 1st handset on 1/10/10 he was given was a "dead phone' it wouldnt turn on at all!!

Had it swapped last Friday & now only realising the stupid camera is defective, it will only take pictures of a black screen! wth? and also when it did take picture, the folder comes up with photo corrupted...

the phone aslso randomly freezes up as well

mine you its only the 2nd week since he's had the phone.

does anyone know if theres anyway to fix the camera problem? .

Nokia has really let him down this time, our last nokia phone 6300 was an excellent phone with no problems at all.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I feel that I really must again put the 'other side' of the picture re. the N97.

I've had my phone for over 16 months now and, largely speaking, it has been great. I have not suffered from any of the problems many people seem to have had. I use it all the time for calls, taking photos and video, playing music, radio, TV (iplayer etc.) and to play various games as well as internet access, Facebook, Twitter, Mobbler etc. I currently have about 90 apps. installed which all work as expected, and multi-tasking works well.. Friends always seem impressed by the quality of the pictures and the mapping applications (Google and OVI maps) as well as the interface.. I use the SPB Mobile Shell which provides a really impressive, slick interface which is highly configurable.

I am not currently tied to a contract, and have looked around for a possible 'upgrade' but have rejected other offerings as I don't want Apple's walled garden approach and many Android phones seem to have problems of one kind or another, and, while the N97 is performing so well, I have stayed with it. I am considering moving to a Nokia N8 for the camera, the HDMI output and USB-on-the-go features, but I do like having a physical qwerty keyboard like the N97 so am not too sure.

So, the N97 CAN be a great phone - mine was made in Finland, so I wonder whether some batches made elsewhere were not so good. It is certainly NOT, IMHO 'the worst phone ever'.

Al

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

It's just become normal to reset the phone a couple of times a day. i don't even mind anymore.

i think i have Stockholm syndrome.

certainly the worst phone i've ever had.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

the problem is not the market share that nokia have lost. though that is a problem obviously. It's not the percentage of revenue, which is actually quite high. it's the percentage of profits, which is down at like 15%.

nokia make their money bringing high end features to affordable handsets. the high end phones are like R&D that's why they don't care.
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

sorry to sound weird here BUT, you sound like one those 60's salesmen and by that allow me to not take your word for granted.

the n97 is a failure in all but construction and even there, there are things that could of had been easely corected with the proper mindset, wich nokia seems to lack when it comes to making phones these days.

let me tell you what a real n97 is like since yours seems to come from the fairy tails of the northen territories.

it's a **bleep** phone with a **bleep** system, rushed, showed out on the market to "counter-act" the iphone back in the day.

as for the origin? well let me tell you this, mine is made in finland and bought in finland.

up untlil some months ago i had to battle, scream, maim and push and shove to make this phone work and that was at the bare necesities since i only want internet and music im not that interested in the "talking aspects" and other "facilities" nokia showed down our throats knowing oh so well the phone can't handle such abuse-and yet they did it- and don't battle me on this since nokia's own ppl admited n97 to be a failure.

now on to the finer aspects of life.

i have made a good phone out of this **bleep** n97. how?

i hacked it. i hacked it so much it bearelly resembles the original os. and im proud of it.

now im using this phone so much that my opera mini 4.0 (simple and effective) has literally burned the menu bar permanently into the screen. im using this phone with a vengeance i wan't to see it die one day when ill finally replace it with a worthy phone, and you can be sure it won't be a nokia.

zie end

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
flawlesalex

Re: LORe: Nokia N97 is the worst phone ever. Problem after problem...

ANY PHONE FOR 100 EURO DOES THAT JOB YOU PUNK **bleep** SALMIAKI!!! HOW ABOUT YOU PAY FOR S-KLASSE AND YOU GET IT PACKED WITH A-KLASSE ENGINE,INTERIOR AND GEARBOX??!! ARE..GO EAT POTATOES,SALMIAKI AND SAUSSAGES!!! THATS WHAT YOU CAN DO BEST...

Please use plain text.