Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 mini and WIFI - Invalid server name ...

Leodim909

Nokia N97 mini and WIFI - Invalid server name Issue

Hello, 

I wanted to share with you this problem that I have been trying to solve for the last two days.

I just got a brand new Nokia N97 mini...and everything is simply fine, but I can't go online using my home wireless network. Basically the phone says it's connected to my wireless LAN but when I try to open the browser or other software that goes online it says "Invalid Server Name".

My Router is SpeedTouch Thomson ST585 and I have WEP-PSK security active on it. 

I've tried to use two different settings on the phone:

1. Everything is in default setting....in other words automatic.

2. In the advanced settings I've tried to see if it works if I set in the IPv4 settings:

• Ip address: As the one shown on the router web interface
  • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
  • DNS servers: the ones provided by my internet provider or the ip of the router.

Now, all of this trials have failed, I still can't navigate online. That's important the phone says it's connected but i can't navigate. Instead i get this strange message "Invalid Server Name" each time I open the browser under my home wireless LAN.

Then I went to a friend's house and tried to connect with his wireless network.  Everything went smooth and fine. I got connected and started surfing the net.

So Is this SpeedTouch St585 Router the problem or what?

In the Routers section devices I have a list of all the devices connected to the WLAN, but the phone is not listed as active. The Icon is grey and in the details page says not active, even if the phone says it's connected.  Also in the Interface column it says "Uknown Interface" . And that's kind of strange. What is Nokia N97 mini wireless inteface?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: Nokia N97 mini and WIFI - Invalid server name Issue

First of all, reset the Thomson. WEP-PSK?? You mean WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK? Use a WPA passfrase and don't use IP config, use DHCP. Delete the WLAN accesspoint from the N97 and start over. Turn off the power saving in the advance settings of WLAN and turn off WPA2 only mode on the N97.

www.ipstore.us/documentation/user_guides/ST-585v6_UserGuide.pdf

http://www.nokia-asia.com/support/product-support/nokia-n97/guides

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Leodim909

Thank you very much for your help.

I did all that you asked me, but it didn't work. I can connect to the WLAN but I can't navigate, or enter any webpage.I get this crazy message: "Invalid server name"

Still stuck! :smileysad:

Really don't know what to do...

Do you have any other tips?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Leodim909 wrote:

Thank you very much for your help.

I did all that you asked me, but it didn't work. I can connect to the WLAN but I can't navigate, or enter any webpage.I get this crazy message: "Invalid server name"

Still stuck! :smileysad:

Really don't know what to do...

Do you have any other tips?

Remove the memory card if you have one. Clean the privacy data of the browser. Use another browser like Opera. If nothing of the above works, reset the N97. Dial *#7370# 12345 reformat, you'll lose all data. Make a backup first and restore without the settings.

Please use plain text.
cliges

Dear 

I have the same problem of Leodim909 with my new N97 mini!

I tried many solutions (change the configuration parameters of the N97 and WiFi router, use a non-protected WiFi connection, set the IP address on N97, add the MAC address of N97 on the router) but all of them didn't work.

I've also tried your solutions, include *#7370# 12345 reformat, but the problem "Invalid server name" is always there!

Do you have some other idea? 

My WiFi router is the Netgear DG834GT (it's different from Leodim909's one, so that means 

that the problem is not only the router!)

Let us know

Please use plain text.
Leodim909

That's interesting.....indeed I didn't want to reformat everything....is good to know that this last solution didn't work.

And I also think that because I am able to connect to other WLAN's, except my home WLAN, the mystery remains...

I really wish to know what's wrong in this case.

Any other ideas?

P.s. Thank you guys for your time and help! :-)

Please use plain text.
cheetaz

I had this problem as well with my new N97 mini. I tried configuring mg new n97 mini to my home WLAN.. After configuring I got the INVALID SERVER NAME error. But I was able to make it work after reading the discussion here about the DNS..

So just be sure you know the Primary and Secondary DNS Server/Address of your WLAN. You can get it from your ISP or ask them how you can access it. Then Go to

Settings>Connectivity>Destinations> Choose the WLAN Connection with "INVALID SERVER NAME" problem, usually found in Internet or Uncategorised. After clicking the connection, click on Options>Advanced Settings>IPv4 Settings>DNS addresses. Just enter your DNS Primary and Secondary address. Settings>Connectivity>Destinations>Name of the Connection found either in Internet or Uncategorised>Options>Advanced Settings>IPv4>DNS Address> Enter your Primary and Secondary DNS Addresses.

You can actually start from the beginning by making a new Access point Go to

Settings>Connectivity>Destinations>Access Point> Automatically Check for access points just answer no and and Choose WLAN>Enter WLAN network name>Enter WEP Key>Select Network Destination-usually Internet then choose your newly created access point and then Options>Advanced Settings>IPv4>DNS Address> Enter your Primary and Secondary DNS Addresses

Just review all the settings first especially

Network Status= Hidden or Public

WLAN Network Mode= Infrastructure or Ad Hoc

WLAN Security Mode=  Open/WEP/802.1x/WPA/WPA2

Particularly: WLAN security Settings:  

WEP key in use=  #1, #2, #3, #4

Authentication type= Open/Shared

WEP key settings= WEP encryption 64/128 bits     WEP key format= ASCII/Hexadecimal

It worked for me.. Just try and it might work for you guys as well. Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
SHR3451

[ Edited ]

Not working for me I tried everything
Please help another way
Thank you

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

edit post

Personal details removed by a moderator. We kindly ask you not to share your personal contact details or your phone's IMEI number publicly on this forum."

Kind regards

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
di850

N97Mini-- Invalid Server Name--  I have been trying for 6 days, many phone calls but no luck.

I also have a Thomson ST585 router, connects etc but as soon as you start browsing you get Invalid Server Name.

Nokia does not seem to have an answer, 2 laptops and 2 Iphones work well on the same router but this N97 Mini does not.

It works well in other WiFi spots.

HELP- Anyone with any solution to this?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
di850

Thomson STP585 Router

I too followed all the instructions still "Invalid Server Name"

Still lost, Anyone please....

Please use plain text.
emmskii

Hi everyone,

I've been checking the forum here for the same issue - I have just bought a Nokia N97 mini and setup the wifi settings the same as I had them on my previous phone, a Nokia N95.  The wifi appeared to connect but I got the message "Invalid Server Name" when I tried the web browser.  I knew that my wifi setup at home (cable broadband into a wifi router) wasn't the issue or necessarily the settings on the Nokia N97, as it had worked fine with my N95 previously.

Then I saw a suggestion regarding a different model phone to change from WEP to 802.1x in the access point settings.  Once I tried that it worked straight away!!  Yay!!  It's been driving me batty trying to figure it out.

Hope this info helps.  Below are the settings I have for my access point:

I created the access point by --> Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Destinations > Access Point (Add new Access Point).  Then chose WLAN and entered the info for the wifi. 

The final settings I had are:

Data Bearer: WLAN

WLAN network name: (my network SSID)

Network status:  Hidden

WLAN network mode:  Infrastructure

WLAN security mode:  802.1x

WLAN security settings:  WPA/WPA2=EAP

Feel free to ask any questions, good luck!

Emmskii :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Please check your web suffix.

It located under browser-->options-->settings-->General-->web suffixes and keep appropriate web suffixes.

I got this problem when connected to internet through packet data,then I kept only "Com" in the web suffix and it worked. Please try.

Regards,

Sivabalan K

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mukulm79

hi i am having same poblem (invalid server name) with my n79 mini i am using nokis siemens networks wifi modem for my bsnl connection please how to solve this problem i hav tried setiing ip address in my mobile please tell me how to find correct ip config of modem 1600 configurations please help me

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

[ Edited ]

The best option you have is to reset modem and N97 mini. Dial *#7370# 12345 reformat, you'll lose all data. Make a backup first and restore without the settings. Do not use IPv4 configuration. Use DHCP.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ihaveasolution

hey i too faced the same problem but with my Xm 5800.....it was all working fine untill i downloaded opera on my phone n forgot about it........n was using the default browser.........may be some programs are conflicting with ur default browser...........had the problem fr about a week then accidently saw opera on my mobile.........clicked on it n it worked..........exited n then opened default browser...same annoyin msg 'invalid server name'..........so tried uninstalling opera to c if any difference.......yup default browser worked........

but neways i have reinstalled opera cos its better

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dacoffee

i got mine to work......not the phone it was router, i made address data base or range the same thing at the end of the day but made it larger it was XXX.XXX.XXX.5 then made it 100. so its an IP confict....remember this when you first introduced you wireless card with router it was only able to see and not connect so its program in the phone has an expiring address or ip...lol 1 hour and worked it out.

Please use plain text.
swordfish16

I was able to solve this issue after struggling for a Day.

I bought by N97 Mini four days back. I was able to add the Wifi connection as an access point but i was getting the Invalid Server issue. I tried all the options on this thread none worked until i saw somewhere of entering the IP details instead of keeping the default settings for the wifi on the phone. My router is Linkysys and i have a WPA security on it and i didnot change anything on the router to make it work. Below are my settings on the phone

Before that if you have a computer which access the Wifi router then open the command and type IPCONFIG to get the IP, Subnet mask, Default gateway details

Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Destinations > Internet

1. Add New Access Point (your Wifi)

2. Change the prioirty to one if it is not. (Options > Organize > Change Priority)

3. Edit the Wifi Added and go to Advance settings

4. Select the IPv4 settings and add an IP within the range set on the router and not same as the one on your computer(s)

5. Enter the Subnet mask, Default gateway which can be found from the IPCONFIG command.

6. Enter the DNS 1 and 2 . (This can be found when you open your router administration website from the web browser.

Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Wi-Fi

1. Select your wi-fi connection and goto options > settings

2.  Show Wi-Fi Availability : Yes

3. Scan for Networks: Select any range

4. Internet Connectivity Test: Run automatically.

Hope this helps others fix their problems. This is a great phone and i started loving it.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MADDYYYY

Thanks swordfish16, it worked for me after 3 months.. splly point 4 which says to use a diff IP range....

Thanks a ton !!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
maljr2001

It's the "POWER SAVING MODE" by the wifi software that has a glitch! Disable it and you'll be surfing the web like a true PC.

menu > settings > connectivity > WLAN > settings > options > advanced settings..... then disable the "power saving mode"

Please use plain text.