Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N97 not charging

anguyen

Nokia N97 not charging

My Nokia N97 use to be in perfect condition and would charge every time i plug it in. However, lately whenever I plug it in, it charges and then it stops and says "Unplug charger from power supply to save energy" and then it says "Not Charging" and then it charges again and then it doesn't. The light near the charging slot always turn on and off multiple times. I have to play around with the charger and plug it in and out multiple times to get it to work. When it finally starts to charge, it takes extremely long to charge. It used to charge quick but now it take hours. Also, if it is charging, and I accidently touch the phone or the cord, it will immediately stop charging. Then I have to play around with the cord again so it will charge. Please help! What is the problem with my phone and how can I fix it? Thanks so much!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Re: Nokia N97 not charging

Looks like a malfunctioning charger to me. Get yourself a new one.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/power

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Advisor
coreisp

[ Edited ]

I have the exact same problem.

A new charger does not solve the issue.

The problem also occurs on USB. However, the USB connection is left in place even if it stops charging. And when connected to the charger: the phone does notice the charger is still connected. As soon as I pull the plug it immedieately puts up the notice again that I should unplug it for energy savings.

So it does know it is connected, but it simply refuses to charge the battery untill you disconnect and reconnect it multiple times.

This is either:

1.) A software issue

2.) A issue with the battery's internal protection.

I sent a large email to Nokia regarding this issue as this entire N97 is starting to me very angry. Nokia must be laughing very hard about the people paying a ton of money for a product that doesnt even work and will not work for even a year!

Camera slide problems, unlock slide falling off, C: space running low even if you install everything on E: and now the battery that appears to be dead after less than 8 months.

And support or warranty service is nowhere to be found, the nearest Care point only helps ppl that have a business contract with them and the other care points are uber far away. And if you want to send your phone: it can take up to a month or more before it will be repaired!

Great job Nokia.... Your service is extremely bad, and with such a bad service: your phones are way too expensive. You dont care about the clients as soon as they have paid. You dont provide any service at all.

To topic starter:

try to charge your phone on USB. If it charges without issues: get a new charger.

If it gives the same issues: Check your battery or try to find a Care point. Although the care point dont really care about customers.

-edit- "Foul" language replaced.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
coreisp

[ Edited ]

Turns out it is *not* a problem with the charger port and not with the battery or charger either.

It is actually a software bug! (Which then hasnt been fixed since v21!)

What you have to do to fix the issue, and you may not like it, is:

- Delete all software you installed yourself

- Perform a full factory reset (Best method for me was: volcano deathgrip)

- Reinstall the firmware

That should fix the issues. Atleast, it did for me, the phone is charging properly again now... :smileyhappy:

It was recommended by a staff member of the Nokia Care, who refused to look at my phone at first. He said the software is bugged and this happends many times.

Please use plain text.
bono2010

^ hey i have the same problem and im following your steps but when you mean reinstalling the firmware how do u do that? after the hardreset i wasnt able to hook up to the computer or anything im on the latest firmware

Please use plain text.
Advisor
coreisp

After the full reset, just go to Nokia Software Updater and click the Reinstall button.

It may say you have the latest firmware and then prompt you with the option to reinstall if you want to...

Give it a shot :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
timepolice

i am having the exact same problem on my n97 as the thread starter. i have tried out the method suggested by coreisp but it didn't fix anything. my n97 still has trouble charging and it's getting really annoying. can anyone update on this problem please? maybe someone has found a solution to this?

PS: i am thinking of buying a new battery but will wait out to see if it really is the problem. i don't really want to send the unit to nokia since it will take weeks before i can have it back.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
skrinkskrank

Im having the exact same problem, in the last couple of months vive already had to take my n97 to a care point twice and it looks like i will have to take it back again with same problem, so even if your phone is still under warranty and within the area of a care point they take your phone for over a week at a time and theres still no guarantee that your phone will be fixed.  Ive had five nokias over the last ten years and every one other then one (n95) has been in some way faulty, this really is my last nokia phone

Please use plain text.
CCClaudiu

It happened to my Nokia 97 as well and I read many answers on several forums, but the solution I found, which immediately solved the problem, was to push towards the centre, with a small blade, the little prongs in the micro-USB connector on the side of the phone where the end-piece of the charging device is being inserted for charging up the phone. The contact has thus been re-established and my Nokia 97 charges again just fine for the past few weeks...

Please use plain text.
CCClaudiu

My fix described above did not work for much longer and I needed to have the micro-usb port repaired, otherwise my N97 would not charge any more...

Overall I must confess I am seriously disappointed with this phone...

Claudiu

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vicky33

I also have the same problem (doesn't charges well, switches off automatically and hangs up frequently) with my N97 handset and I am very disappointed with this purchase. I have done hard reset and bought it to factory settings with latest software but it didn't help me. I regret this purchase and If there is no other solution for this problem than nokia is going to loose me for definitely. If someone has any solution please help.  

Please use plain text.
Jzion

[ Edited ]

An Unsatisfied Customer here too..

USB is not connecting properly, charger is okay and phone says CHARGING but even when i unplug the wall charger after an hour it say BATTERY LOW..

means it doesnt charging at all.

and as everyone says.. wOh... it cost fantastic..:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I am getting very annoyed with this. My phone just occasionally works perfectly, charging from whatever computer I am sitting near, but often switches to "Not charging". If I don't notice, it then proceeds to run its battery flat - causing the phone to switch off and connect to the computer in Mass Storage mode. This disturbs the setting for which memory to use for messages. I have to restart with the SIM out to put it right. It has a full charge after this has happened, though. I need a fix - not a "fix for now" - for this.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Loganix

I've had my N97 in for service of the horrible USB-port that get's damaged so very easy. Ever since i have been very keen on handling the port with alot of care when i plug-in a usb cable. A couple of days ago i connected my phone to my computer for the daily dose of battery juice when i as usual get the menu of different connection types to choose from, "Charging" ... Then a beep indicating a problem followed with the message "Not charging". I wasn't that very surprised
and thought for myself, yet another issue of the N97 streak of problems to be challenged with. Don't get me wrong, i love my phone ... or at least hate it as much as i love it, or were it the other way? Nevertheless, I've tried a couple of things so far and from what i found so far, this problem only appear when the battery is almost depleted or fully depleted. The phone charges fine with my tabletop charger, so i do not belive the usb port is damaged, i have not tried my wall socket usb adapter yet. So, when i charge the phone to a couple of bars or more and then have it connected to my pc the charging works fine.

Can it be a battery issue, maybe some cells of the battery are so off the grid that the connection via the pc is to
weak to jumpstart a usual charging?

Can it be the cord? I'm gonna find another usb cable and try it out.

Software issue or a bug? If nothing works i will probably do a full format and try to re-installing software to see if this helps.

Yes, i'm a carebear :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
userbillion

i encountered the same issue as described above

One work around is to power off the phone and then connect the charger in non active mode

it charges to completion without issue.

This is not acceptable for some as we need to still recieve call during charging

This prove that it is not hardware issue , not the USB connector issue

I believe there is a "bug" in the software preventing charging to continue.

Please use plain text.
Pendazano

How do you perform a volcano death grip? My phone has the same problem, when I insert the charger it just changes the theme to the default one but does not charge, when I connect it to the computer it reads it as a "Unrecognized Usb) HELO:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am having the same problem, I have bought a new battery thinking that might solve the problem. It didn't

As this is a Nokia forum, why is the no input from them for a solution, surely they monitor it !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JackoGTX

So, I see i'm not the only one with those strange N97 problems..

The phone is charging and stop charging as he wishes..

every time i want to charge my phone a war is starting.

I need to stay near the phone and disconnect and reconnect the charger every few minutes

when the phone stops charging.

This is Just one of many issues i have with the phone, and this is what i can say for sure:

Nokia, after about 10 cell-phones i bought from you over the years i have to say goodbye.

It was good while it last..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

About a month ago, my phone stopped charging unless there was pressure on the connector to hold it pressed back in the charging socket, and sometimes at an angle too. Otherwise, it was fine!

About a week ago, although the white charging light would sometimes come on, the screen would not change from black. I could press the on/off button and the phone would vibrate, but nothing would appear on the screen.

Today, after (unintentionally) leaving it plugged in, and apparently not charging, for several days, the phone unexpectedly beeped, and the screen came on showing the Nokia logo on a white background and then shows one bar of charge (so, not showing as charging). It no longer vibrates when I press the on/off button.

I have repeated this as follows:

- hold connector at an angle: white charging light shows

- after several minutes, it beeps, the charging light goes off, and the screen comes on, as above

- the charging light then flashes a few times, and switches off again

- however much I press or wiggle the connector the charging light will not come back on

- after a while the screen dims, but if a wiggle the connector it becomes bright again (still just showing the logo and one bar

- after a bit longer, it switches off, and I can repeat the whole process

I have tried a USB connection, but it is no different (and does not register on the PC at all).

Any ideas???

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jojosung

My N97 just developed the same problem this weekend. I contacted Nokia for support, basically, since the phone is out of warranty.

I am on my own. They won't even take the phone back to look at it.

In fact, they suggest I sent the phone to some third party (none nokia) repair center.

I have this in an email from them, if anyone want me to forward it to you.

I think I am done with Nokia now :smileysad:

I've purchase numberous nokia for me and my family:

E71, N95, E51, N97, N8 <- These are some of the newer one... and will be our last purchases from Nokia.

Please use plain text.