Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N97 software update 2.0

Counsellor

Fring used to be good... but now there are a lot of break up in the voice... 

I use Nimbuzz now, and it works like a charm !  

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have an advert for you Nokia:

NOKIA N97... Dis-Connecting People. :-)

I hope that cheered some people up while we wait.

Nokia N97 - Dis-connecting People :-)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Newerton

The firmware v.20 is today, or never?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Probably never. Another big fat lie I suspect!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

What is it with everyone screaming about the update not yet being available? We were told that it would be released in October unless there were problems with it that would set it back a while.

Grow up, everyone. Don't throw your N97s out of the pram just yet.

With the negative reactions in here because a pre-announced firmware version hasn't yet been released and you all want it NOW wah wah wah, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the last time Nokia pre-announces an update.

Talk about killing the golden goose!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

If you bought an expensive car would you not want it to actualy work when you want to drive it and not breakdown as your on your way to work? I've had this thing for months now and it still dosen't work right. I work at sea and I need my phone to actualy WORK, I dont have any other options here I expect to get at least some use out of my devices!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Guys... I have some 'authentic' news. My source is within Nokia.

If you bought a mini or an 32g n97 today it would have V20 on it... The reason it's not been rolled out to existing customers yet is because there is a bug either in the previous fw or NSU that is causing phones with v10,11,12 to brick... Not all just some. Nokia are commiting vast resources to sorting the issue.

I hope this cools the fires somewhat since I have done Nokia's job for them.

Guys, lets just be patient... Better a working fw 20 than a visit to a service center and being without the phone for ages... I am begining to fall in love with my Fail-97... Quirks and all... I don't see many people who have one on the London underground. I have started to smirk everytime I see those white I-phod headphones. How 'unique' everybody has an I-phod. lol 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Jargon

Sounds logical, does this have anything to do with the recent NSU update or just a coincidence? Must be one hell of an update after all if its causing so much trouble!
After 4 N97's, this one works (sort of)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

joelang wrote:
If you bought an expensive car would you not want it to actualy work when you want to drive it and not breakdown as your on your way to work? I've had this thing for months now and it still dosen't work right.

Yes, I would. And I'd take it into a garage pronto instead if moaning about it "for months now".

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The issue is the garage cant fix it!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
As I said I work at sea so I dont have the option of sending the phone to Nokia every time it goes down. I would have to hand it in then buy another phone to use while Im away and then pick the thing up when I get back home weeks later. Useless!
Message Edited by joelang on 26-Oct-2009 12:06 PM
Message Edited by joelang on 26-Oct-2009 12:12 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I agree with Joelang.

This firmware update (2.0) will hopefully bring the N97 to the state it needed to be in when it was first launced (like the N97 mini). Until it is released, N97 users have a substandard product which wasn't as advertised, and this is ignoring the GPS aerial and camera lens cover design flaws.

For £500, it should just work, and work well. If it doesn't Nokia should fix it immediatey, not 4 months later. To continue with the expensive car analogy, you wouldn't tolerate the dealer saying to you "you'll have to wait 4 months to get this fixed".

So we have every right to be angry, frustrated and impatient. Not just at the poor state of our product, but at Nokia's incapability of getting organised enough so it can set and meet firmware release dates. We're all waiting around for it clueless to when exactly it will appear, simply because Nokia knew if it announced to the public a specific release date, it doesn't have the ability or basic corporate stategy to meet it and therefore they would make themselves look like the incompetent idiots they really are.

When you rush a "flagship" product out the door before it's ready, at the very least you should make sure you have a very good tranparent update system so the consumers they use as beta testers have some idea of when they can expect to recieve the product they paid for.

...and grschinon, with respect, Nokia killed the golden goose by releasing it before it was ready!

...and what's the point in taking your car to the garage when they don't have the ability to fix it for you? They say they will fix it, but they can't tell you when! Yeah, I'm sure you would accept that!

Message Edited by jonkeys on 26-Oct-2009 12:10 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Indeed Jonkeys!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

I've never heard of the problem with NSU casuing N97s to brick, but there was an issue with OTA updates from V11 to higher versions. Thre was an extra software component needed to make the OTA update work right:

• Go to Menu > Applications > SW Update.
  • Unselect Phone software.
  • Select Install Before Phone Software.
  • Select Options > Start update.
  • After the update is successfully completed, select Phone software.
  • Select Options > Start update.
  •  

Once this is done you should be able to update OTA, so if there is an issue with phones being bricked during an update with NSU, you should be able to get the update by the FOTA method and avoid that happening.

Please use plain text.
    Employee
    jauhis

B9099 wrote:

Guys... I have some 'authentic' news. My source is within Nokia.

If you bought a mini or an 32g n97 today it would have V20 on it... The reason it's not been rolled out to existing customers yet is because there is a bug either in the previous fw or NSU that is causing phones with v10,11,12 to brick... Not all just some. Nokia are commiting vast resources to sorting the issue.

Hi B9099,

Either you or your source have the facts wrong.

Nokia will provide PR2.0 as soon as it has been approved. Once approved, it will go to NSU, factories, service network and FOTA, in this order.

The estimate of end of October is still valid.

Please use plain text.
    Counsellor
    Jargon

Haha pwned
    After 4 N97's, this one works (sort of)
    Please use plain text.
    Counsellor

@Mccbleue

Just relaying what I have been told. Don't shoot the messenger.

I am not in the business of spreading rumours.

Please use plain text.
    Counsellor

In response to PWNED...

The result speaks for itself... You guys in Espoo need to get on to the UK operations about giving customers false information.

I will be calling back and making a formal complaint.

Please use plain text.
    Sage
    dchewitt

Thanks for the input Jauhis, hopefully this will settle things down for a bit.

I am happy even if it arrives at midnight on the 31.10.09!

Current Devices:
    N900, N97, 5800 & iPhone.
    nukea - we will get the perfect device in the end (but not this year!)
    Please use plain text.
    Counsellor

[ Edited ]

"I am not in the business of spreading rumours."

You might not but Nokia sure are!

Skype, V2.0 firmware, Xpressprint to name a few lol  

Message Edited by joelang on 26-Oct-2009 12:19 PM
    Message Edited by joelang on 26-Oct-2009 12:19 PM
    Please use plain text.