Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia X3-02, internet issue

reborn018

Nokia X3-02, internet issue

Hi there.

I have the Nokia X3-02, and was hoping to make use of the built in wi-fi to access my home and uni network.  I was spending some time on the internet while connected to the wi-fi and noticed my credit was going down.  It appears to be connecting to my mobile network for the internet despite my preferred access point being marked down as my home network.  Both the G and wifi symbol are up, while on the internet.

I want it so I can just go by through the wifi like I thought it should.

Thanks for the help.

Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Nokia X3-02, internet issue

your home network is your home operator not your wifi

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
reborn018

I'm connecting to my home network by wifi.  My home network is set up as an access point for the wi-fi.

Counsellor
tribuuy

You need to make it ask every time which connection will be used, otherway it will prefer 3g, I had same problem. Go to settings > connectivity > WLAN > Internet conn. > Ask first.
Retroreflection

I am also having the same issue.

Tribuuy, I've done what you said, but I don't get asked which connection to use - the phone automatically connects to the internet via a WAP connection and not my home wifi.

Counsellor
tribuuy

Make sure under settings > connectivity > packet data > pack. data conn. is also selected "When needed", NOT "Always online".
mickrab

I have same problem with phone bought today.  All settings are as suggested, but still no access through wi-fi.  If it's not sorted tonight it's going back tomorrow!

Registered Member
wollongong

Same problem here: set WLAN->Internet Conn. to "Ask first", set Packet data conn. to "When needed", turned off HS packet access. The phone connects to WLAN OK, but doesn't try to use it. It tries GPRS straight away, without asking.

My software is v05.32.

Does WLAN work with this version? Does it require an upgrade already (brand new phone)?

thank you,

Registered Member
wollongong

I should have mentioned:

The software update feature DOES use wifi.

The problem of using GPRS instead of wifi occurs with the WEB BROWSER.

Unlike some other phones, such as the X6, the X3-02 doesn't seem to have any way to tell the web browser to use wifi.

Registered Member
velkyruskycocon

Hi guy, i want to ask you how you configure your acces point . I have x3-02 and i try everything but it doesnt work. Can you help me?

Registered Member
Forestfan

Got one of these for Christmas . Spent yesterday finding out unable to send any kind of music files via Bluetooth .Not happy but technology moves on ( or not in this case . OVI yes , but my own CDs ? . No Nokia !! )

Phones 4 You on why Wi Fi and Network ( which costs ) connects at same time  . I told them I'd done all the suggestions on forums but got the ' Sorry Sir , that doesn't happen around our way sir , it's an O2 problem sir .'

Went to O2 shop today . The guy did his best but basically told me it was Witchcraft the like of which he had never seen before . He told me to go back to Phones 4 You .................

new phone for my birthday please !

Registered Member
onghy

hi..plz try this:

menu-->internet-->web settings-->config. settings --> configuration

i've set the configuration to 'default', and my phone prompt me to select the network connection method

hope this can help

Registered Member
wollongong

thanks for that information onghy. 

it still didn't work for me, but it suggests that the settings may be dependent on the service provider. Maybe the provider can define the meaning of "default", which in my case doesn't ask me before using GPRS.

Another possibility is the software version: I've got V05.32.

Another possibility is the Settings -> Configuration -> Def. config. sett. In my case, there is no choice except "Optus" (the service provider). Maybe there should be another setting available there, and that would be service provider dependent.

Registered Member
onghy

wollongong, forgot to mention, i've update my phone to 5.6

Contributor
ChrisM303

I have the same problem - cannot get the phone to use the WLAN for the internet, instead it insists on using packet data, displaying an H at the top of the screen.

I have tried:

• disabling packet data, it displayed a G instead of an H (presumably using GSM instead of HSDPA)
  • manually connecting to my home WLAN before selecting an internet option
  • Turning "search WLAN" on and off.
  • Deleting my home WLAN from saved WLANs and redefining.

I don't understand the advanced WLAN options, especially the one about Router Handover so have not played with this.

I notice that it is quite weak at picking up wireless networks and reports only two bars on my home network in locations that laptops show maximum strength, also it only detects one other network in the area, whereas laptops usually find several. I am not sure if this is relevant to this problem or a completely different issue.

As described by another poster, Software Update does prompt with a choice including WLAN for connecting to the internet and then seems to use the internet (no G or H is displayed) to ascertain that no update is available.

Nokia definitely need to fix this. A real disappointment, more so because the rest of the phone is A1.

Chris

Counsellor

I had the same problem. I tried to follow these insturctions from the other thread (at least the first part, the second part was not compatible with x3-02) and after that it asked me for the connection. It seems to me that you have the same problem. And appears only in Nokia browser, in Opera mini it asks for the type of conneciton before this action.

"Hello, You can try this, it may work. If you go to Menu - Settings - Configuration - Personal Settings - My Web And follow the steps, you do not need to fill in any details, just activate it. Then go to Menu - Internet - Web Settings - Configuration Settings, then select configuration and change to Personal configuaration. Then the 'account' should say my web. From now the phone will always ask first, as long as you have selected ask first in the connectivity WLAN options and when packet data is set to when needed.

Thank you Charlie Bruinvels ...."

The whole thread is here:

/t5/Xseries/My-X3-02-can-t-connect-to-my-home-wlan/td-p/792808

Counsellor
tribuuy

[ Edited ]

It stopped working for me :smileyfrustrated: This is most stupid phone I ever had I'm starting to hate it. I made software update and it stopped working!!!

edit: I had to delete all personal settings and it asks again which connection I want to use. Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal settings > I deleted all from here and it works.

Contributor
ChrisM303

:smileyhappy: Many thanks miro10h for the post. It sorted my phone.

What a contorted solution though - should be documented in their manual as this is a pretty fundamental use of the phone.

Chris

Registered Member
wollongong

many thanks miro10hr,

that works for me too, with software version 5.32  It was not necessary to update to latest.

Registered Member
alehung79

Hello guys,

What miro10hr says is totally correct, however, there is one step more that you need to do before it works.

After you´ve followed all the steps detailed on miro´s comment, you need to go to:

Menu--->Settings--->Configuration and make sure you hit " Deff. in all apps." to make your "Personal config" available in all your applications. This is the way it worked for me.

I hope it helps.