Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia e72 firmware update

cnlifeasitis

Nokia e72 firmware update

Hiya

Im having a few random issues with my phone for example the space button jamming and some infrequent and odd behaviour.

I'm hoping that a firmware update would help sort most of this out but my phone keeps freezing and blanking out whilst attempting to update. 

• I have the latest versions of PC Suite on my computer and my phone
  • I have the latest software
  • I am attempting to update from version 21.024 (current) to 31.023 (update)
  • During the update process, the phone freezes and the only way I can get the phone back alive and working is to take the battery out and re-insert.

I've put together a  video screencast of the process here: http://www.cnlifeasitis.com/filestore/nokia_e72.swf

Its a new phone and I would be hugely grateful for any help. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Nokia e72 firmware update

Phone does go blank during update and will start again once FW update is complete. I am bit unsure about updating using PC Suite rather I would download Nokia Software Update Tool and update it via this tool. I tried two days back and it worked perfectly.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

cnlifeasitis wrote:

Hiya

Im having a few random issues with my phone for example the space button jamming and some infrequent and odd behaviour.

I'm hoping that a firmware update would help sort most of this out but my phone keeps freezing and blanking out whilst attempting to update. 

• I have the latest versions of PC Suite on my computer and my phone
  • I have the latest software
  • I am attempting to update from version 21.024 (current) to 31.023 (update)
  • During the update process, the phone freezes and the only way I can get the phone back alive and working is to take the battery out and re-insert.

I've put together a  video screencast of the process here: http://www.cnlifeasitis.com/filestore/nokia_e72.swf

Its a new phone and I would be hugely grateful for any help. 

I had the impression that you were using your PC (keyboard strokes) during the update. So, don't use the PC nor the E72 while updating. Make sure your E72 is in general (online) mode. Remove the memory card.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

Nokia Software UpdateHiya

Thanks for the quick responses.

@svenks

Whilst it is attempting to update, the phone does go blank  but the Software Updater will display a message saying that it has 'lost connection with the device' (or some sort of message to that extent).

Also sorry for the confusion re PC Suite.  I was just stating that I have everything up to date. I use the Software Updater which I have in my START > NOKIA > Nokia Software Updater > Nokia Software Updater

@hadimassa

I've tried it without the SD card and there was no difference - it still freezes and 'loses the connection'.

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

[ Edited ]

Oke, then reset the E72. Dial *#7370# 12345 reformat, you'll lose all data. Make a backup first and restore without the settings after the update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
FastTortoise

My E72 was bricked when trying to update the firmware. Nothing would work. Had to send it to Nokia service center and waited for almost 4 weeks before I got it again. They chngaed the engine so I have a new IMEI. Really dissapointed with NOKIA PC software that caused this. I had updated successfully before but my 2nd attempt to update the FW bricked my phone.
Salvation entails eternal power which will make every tyrant weep.
Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

Thanks for the feedback.

Before reformatting it, I wanted to check: would I be able reapply a backup of my phone with all its settings by using the PC Suite backup I create?

I've got a lot of settings stored for all my various emails etc and Its going to be troublesome to have to go back and reconfigure everything.

Please use plain text.
Sage
kokeropie

Try to disable Firewall and Antivirus during the update and see if those that cause the problem.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

cnlifeasitis wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Before reformatting it, I wanted to check: would I be able reapply a backup of my phone with all its settings by using the PC Suite backup I create?

I've got a lot of settings stored for all my various emails etc and Its going to be troublesome to have to go back and reconfigure everything.

Replacing the settings might cause the same problems.

Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

I tried all the suggestions from disabling firewalls to restoring to factory settings and then trying to update it - but with no success.

The phone loses connection with the PC the moment it goes blank and PC Suite keeps asking to turn the phone off and back on again and basically try again.

Think I'm gonna give up - or perhaps take the phone in store and take it out on the shop staff.

Please use plain text.

Does this reset apply to E71x?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

cnlifeasitis wrote:

I tried all the suggestions from disabling firewalls to restoring to factory settings and then trying to update it - but with no success.

The phone loses connection with the PC the moment it goes blank and PC Suite keeps asking to turn the phone off and back on again and basically try again.

Think I'm gonna give up - or perhaps take the phone in store and take it out on the shop staff.

I guess you're right about bringing the E72 in for service even though I'm not really sure if it's the device or NSU. As a last resort, you could try Ovi Suite.

Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

I tried doing it via Ovi Suite but it appears to direct me back to the same NSU that the PC Suite directs me to.

Its frustrating that I am spending more time on the phone than my own business.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

cnlifeasitis wrote:

I tried doing it via Ovi Suite but it appears to direct me back to the same NSU that the PC Suite directs me to.

Its frustrating that I am spending more time on the phone than my own business.

You're absolutely right. It's frustrating. If NSU is the culprit I suggest the following: Uninstall all Nokia related software and drivers with Revo and clean the registry with Ccleaner. Reboot and reinstall PC Suite and NSU with admin rights. Reboot the PC and start PC Suite to update the E72. Turn off AV software during update and keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-pc-suite

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
TheG

The firmware update on my E72 didn't work with Ovi suite. I installed NSU - this worked but took ages - I can't recall exactly how long but I thought it was stuck/bricked but let it be. Eventually (possibly half an hour) it updated using NSU.

I've flashed many devices over the years - PCs/Phones/DVD Recorders - never had to wait that long.....

Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

I ended up resetting it to Factory Settings and then put my latest backup on my phone to try and restore it back to normal and just move on.

The problem now is that the phone doesnt work the same way.  Its really clunky and takes much longer to do the tasks and access the programs which it once did so quickly.

I'm on a business contract with T-mobile uk and the best thing they say I can do is to get a replacement one sent out to me.  The problem here is that the e72  I bought was boxed new and was only a few months ago - if I send it back, theres a chance I will get a refurbed one.

And to think - I was perfectly happy with my ugly albeit super reliable Nokia e61.

I may try the Revo suggestion - love that program.

Please use plain text.
Nemric

Hie,

I had the same problem during update to 31.023 firmware. I used a othe pc to get it work.

On my first pc (the one that failed to update, it's a tower with usb 2 pci adapter that's not able to give enough power to start a 3 1/2 usb powered drive) I use 2 Usb cable (one after the other), first from pc to desktop, and the very little nokia one to connect the E72.

On the second pc, a old laptop with usb 1, only with the little nokia usb cable ... and it works.

I don't know the reason, but you can always try another usb connection, another usb cable lenght, or another PC ... it looks like a power problem, perhaps to send boot order to the phone.

As information, on the pc that failed, save and restore works fine, file transfert to, anything but firmware update. I use NSU and pc suite like a good end user, nothing else that minimum requirements.

Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

HURRAH!!!

I got it to update!  Thank you to everyone for all your suggestions.

It could have been a number of things but I got it to work first time:

• On my netbook
  • Connecting the phone direct with the short cable
  • Turning off the keylock function
I have a feeling it may be because I had the keylock on - but either way, it works now and I hope the post is useful for anyone having problems.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Good for you. Case closed?

Please use plain text.
cnlifeasitis

Indeed.

Please use plain text.