Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia n 97

Contributor

Nokia n 97

I have been Nokia fan since the days of nokia 3210, 3310 ...... to Nokia n95 and now recently I had bought N 97. And I agree with all the various posts that this version of nokia is the worst of all. Will never recommend N97 to any one. And 

will be eagerly waiting for  Version 2.0 software and hope that will solve some, if not all, but at least majority of problems.

Can someone please tell me as to how to turn off the Nokia default startup tone when you turn the phone on. As due to work reasons I regularly turn off my N97 and when I try to turn it back on its starts with the default Nokia startup tone which I couldn't tune off after trying hard. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Re: Nokia n 97

I agree with you though I know the nseries devices need a couple of software upgrades to reach to its best. Think about the N95 back in 2007, it was also full of bugs, but they (if not all) were perished as the firmware upgrades continued to release.

Put your phone to silent mode, the phone boots up without the Nokia Tunes.

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

hey can the nokia n97 handle the following codecs

Audio Formats MP3,ACC,ACC+,WAV,RA,AMR,WMA

Video Formats H.263,H.264,MPEG4,3GPP,MP4

n97.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

St3ph3n wrote:

hey can the nokia n97 handle the following codecs

Audio Formats MP3,ACC,ACC+,WAV,RA,AMR,WMA

Video Formats H.263,H.264,MPEG4,3GPP,MP4

Yes, see for yourself here:
http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N97 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I know my reply is littlebit outdated, but what were problems with N 97 with basic firmware. I bought mine just before christmas secondhand with original software used for a week or so and I couldn't find any problems /well kinetic was to make jokes about a it wasn't super super fast/ But i really didn't feel much of a change with new firmware. /I'am not exactly the kind of a geek that runs millions of applications at once and so on but as a work tool N 97 seems to be just fine./ 
IMHO Even if you have white version the black theme looks best :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

In reply to original post, you can't, but you could press power button briefly and scroll down to offline mode, then after meeting do the same but select general !

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
You're right! This phone sucks! I went from the n96 (which I still have) to this piece of **bleep** and except for the fact that the n96 has no touch screen, it beats this phone hands down. Especially for gaming. The games on the n96 are always full screen and beautiful. Out of 15 car racing games, I managed to find 2 half way decent full screen games for the n97. I have almost 30 different on my n96. I was going to sell my n96 but I changed my mind. I'm selling this brick instead.Should have bought the n900.
Message Edited by archangel53 on 26-Jan-2010 04:21 AM
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

yeah so from:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N97/

Video Playback Formats 3GPP formats (H.263), Flash Video, H.264/AVC, MPEG-4, RealVideo 7,8,9/10, WMV 9

I know for a FACT the N97 does not play H.264 - never has, a big lie that page is - just on of the lies that tricked me into buying my phone.  I'll say that it does the h.263 and the real formats - two worst least codecs there is.

Hopefully they will fix that in the next FW - it would be even nicer if they removed that info from their specs page. 

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Sage
ak3_ltw

" Can someone please tell me as to how to turn off the Nokia default startup tone when you turn the phone on. As due to work reasons I regularly turn off my N97 and when I try to turn it back on its starts with the default Nokia startup tone which I couldn't tune off after trying hard "

Hi,

go to your profile and turn off Warning Tones, you will not get that start up tone.

Regards

Akshara

N97 Black India
Attending Nokia Discussion has become new hobby, Thanks to Nokia... for having so many bugs
Please use plain text.
Sage
ak3_ltw

Normally switching off and switching on the smart phones makes battery goes drain fast, so better you go in Offline Mode during meeting and go to your default profile after it (as suggested by Carman)
N97 Black India
Attending Nokia Discussion has become new hobby, Thanks to Nokia... for having so many bugs
Please use plain text.