Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia's preeminence is fading and it is about ...

Advisor
theronstar
Accepted Solution

Nokia's preeminence is fading and it is about to make me throw away a perfectly decent phone

Hello,

I am sure you guys are only tech support guys but I am just writing here in case your senior people have told you anything aboout your business strategy that you could maybe impart upon me.

Back in 2010 I was on the fence between getting an iPhone 4 like the rest of my friends or a Nokia which is the phone brand that I have used since childhood. I remember the hype of the 5110 in my playground back then like it was yesterday. I don't think I've ever been as excited about a mobile phone as I was about that model.

The fence issue for me was that everyone now had an iPhone and were telling me of the innumerable amount of apps you could get. I had a few Android friends also telling me their phone was gonna put pressure on the iPhone let alone Nokia. 

I went with the N8 due to it's superior spec as I had decided I could survive well without the apps those brands were promising.

Fast forwarding a few years later I saw that you have now decided to use Windows as a platform thus further impeding the growth prospects of the Symbian platform I rely upon. Ironically it does not appear that the Windows platform you abandoned us for has made any serious inroads into the mobile OS market.

I have now inevitably got onto this app bandwagon that my friends are constantly talking about except Nokia handsets seem to be on the backburner when developers are deciding which platforms warrant their greatest priority.

Even now I prefer my N8 specs to the current iPhone 5 but I am struggling with usability issues to a point where I am on the brink of ditching this phone.

I don't know if any other customers have raised this issue with you before but I really hope some clear information becomes available before it is too late.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Nokia's preeminence is fading and it is about to make me throw away a perfectly decent phone

The contact us link is where you need to post this beautiful letter

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dradel

Re: Nokia's preeminence is fading and it is about to make me throw away a perfectly decent phone

Nice post theronstar.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theronstar

I followed a link through to the contact us (corporate).

I got a phone call today from a customer support representative in the Philippines, so I guess I should be thankful for that at least.

I never gained anything from the call because he only rehashed what I already knew, "Nokia does not make any more flagship phones with Symbian Software. It now uses Windows."

At least I tried. iPhone here I come.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I have been using my Lumia 920 since it was released, and coming from my old Nokia N8, it has been a total joy to use :smileyhappy:. Each to their own.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

theronstar wrote:
I followed a link through to the contact us (corporate).

I got a phone call today from a customer support representative in the Philippines, so I guess I should be thankful for that at least.

I never gained anything from the call because he only rehashed what I already knew, "Nokia does not make any more flagship phones with Symbian Software. It now uses Windows."

At least I tried. iPhone here I come.

I hope your welcomed in the iphone forums  bye bye.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Perhaps if you could give more infromation about the 'usability issue' you have with yout Nokia N8, the community here could offer help and advice.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theronstar

Is your app store larger than our one?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
theronstar

My friends have tons of apps that I would like to have also.

The developers keep telling me they are 'working' on a Symbian version.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Well, since you are moving to iPhone do you care really?

Symbian is a platform which is comeing to it's end. The 808PV was the last product form Nokia using it and development has ceased with support continuing through 2016 where applicable.

Nokia has officially said goodbye to Symbian which kind of makes your point moot here now doesn't it.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theronstar

I was wondering if Nokia did start work on the Android platform if I could install the software onto this handset.

There is nothing wrong with the physical handset, it's just that I want to be able to do more with it. Or are you saying it'd only ever run Symbian?

I could do without the sarcasm

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Yes, the N8 can only run Symbian and even if Nokia were developing Android it would be for a new generation of phones with much higher specs (CPU speed / Ram) than the 2 year old N8 I'm afraid.
N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
paulheu

Well, I did not bring up the iPhone and moving there.. I love it when people say that because in general they just want more from what they have.

If you like what the iPhone offers then go ahead and get yourself one, no one will fault you for it. iPhones are good solid phones although personally I find the OS to be outdated and the fact that they are designed first and features added as they fit the design after that a wrong approach. But that's just me and it's not saying it's not a good phone.

The N8, as mentioned earlier is still a solid phone, but they are locked down to Symbian unless someone decides to write drivers for it's components so you can install and use Android. Hardware wise I do not see why it would not be possible, but Nokia certainly won't do it as they have officially said goodbye to Symbian.

Maybe someone somewhere will make it work, again technically I see no reason why it can not be done, but it's a lot of work. The only phones that could, and currently sort of do, run android as a fan based project are the N900 and N9. You may want to google that for more information if you like.

---

Click on the blue Star Icon below if my advice has helped you or press the 'Accept As Solution' link if I solved your problem..

Please use plain text.