Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia update: N8 email

Sage
smjohns

I am sure they are working on improving this service as it has been up for much debate on these forums so they know it is important to customers. Perhaps any fixes are more complicated that first thought. Anyway if the new release does sort the sync'ing problems then it is a good start and hopefully PR2.0 will provide even more improvements. Not ideal but there you go.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Managed to get around the default email - had to delete the mail box, restart the phone, setup mail again and this time, crucially, decline the Terms and Conditions. This prevents the phone from forcing you into Nokia's push email facility.

At last I was able to set up my POP/SMTP settings manually and now it ALL WORKS PERFECTLY!

What a pity Nokia don't publicise this a bit better - would have saved a load of grief as the email client is a decent bit of software, now i have it set up as I wanted. (And Sent Items works propoerly too!)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreab11

Declining the T&C is a strategy that was proposed hundreds of times in this forum and even Nokia proposes it in the first post of thsi thread. It will NOT fix the push email problem though; are you saying that now you have working push email on your N8, without using MfE? You would be the first N8 user then :smileywink:

Fropm what I experienced and discussed with many many users, by declining the T&C you sometimes can set up a working polling email, not a push one.

I'm amazed at the fact tht I have friends with an E72 and they have push email working just fine, while my expensive N8 is only having push email with MfE and everything else is in IMAP polling, wasting battery and far from the real time experience Nokia advertised.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
davb

Not impressed.

I bought an N8 yesterday, and spent a long time trying to get  push email working before finding this thread.  I must say I find the lack of input from Nokia after the first post to be very poor.

My old phone was a 5230, which worked fine with the Nokia messaging software/account, so I assumed that the N8 would be an upgade not a downgrade.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreab11

I finally found a solution to the Nokia N8 push email issue : I sold my N8.

Sadly enough, this was the only practical strategy for me, after almost five months of Nokia ignoring the issue and doing absolutely nothing for the users that spent 499 euros on their (supposed) best device ever.

This was not my first Nokia (I loved my past models) but it will surely be the last one, no matter the hardware or software they will propose in next months or years : I simply can't accept a company to behave like this.

Honestly, selling the N8 was a true liberation, I love knowing that I won't have to come back to this site everyday and look for a solution or for an official Nokia statement that could help us!

My friends and coworkers with an iPhone and Android devices were laughing at me when I bought an N8. I defended Symbian, I defended the hardware choices Nokia made -- but in the end they were right, the N8 proved to be a buggy device, sluggish, with a terrible browser, ridiculous software updates, a broken push email stuffed into an email client that leaves a lot to desire, with a software platform that is not attractive for most of the professional developers (most of the apps in Ovi Store are badly done ports from other platforms or apps made by hobbists). Even the official Nokia apps for Symbian^3 (IM client and Social, for instance) are sluggish, unresponsive, memory hogs and with an inconsistent GUI, I guess this must mean something.

The only nice software experience coming from the N8 was provided by Opera Mobile and Gravity, everything else was below average, especially for such an high end device.

Let's also be honest about the quality of the camera : I'm a professional illustrator and photographer and I was obviously not expecting N8 to do any miracle, considering the number of pixels, the size of the sensor and other parameters, but at the same time I was hoping for an improvement, quality wise and keeping in mind it is a cameraphone. Well I did comparisons with many 5 and 8 mpx cameras on other devices and I never found an huge quality difference. Nothing that could make me say that N8 is definitely better. Sony Ericssons are having a comparable photo quality, since years.

Bye bye Nokia, thanks for making me waste some months and some money and especially for thrashing my trust in you and my wish of supporting an European company.

NOTE : I hope this post won't be erased by the mod, since I am not being offensive and I am only sharing my usage experience with other users, in a polite and educated way.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
davb

Come on Nokia instead of claimnig a its a WAP gateway issue, get real and sort it out.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
z_ahutd

looks like nokia had resolved the push mail problem.. I have set my ovi mail and hotmail and now it works perfectly.. Email arrive within 5 seconds. Before this, it takes 5 minutes to arrive. Thanks nokia for finally solving this issue.
Please use plain text.
Sage

I'm sorry to say no it's not fixed yet.

I'm on PR.1.2 and still can't sync. the deleted items on hotmail or gmail. Gmail still there is 5 min. delay.  I'm really fed up!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
wal2000

@andreab11

Come one, you sold your N8 because your push email wasn't working on the Nokia client. i hope you'll see what to expect from your Android or iPhone.

Also all you say about the camera is false. I am close to the photography business too and the N8 is clearly one of the best compact camera on the market. It doesn't compare to any other smartphone, not even close. I made test agains reflexes and compact cameras on standard test sheets.
The optics keep the definition of the sensor and is below any compact camera noise.
The sensor is a one half length size of an APS/C sensor and I did the tests and it's close regarding noise.
Furthermore it's very close to any 12MP reflex camera that uses a 28mm equivalent optics.
The quality of the N8 optics are really above average and you get your 12MP at every distance including very close ones. It means you can even use it as a high quality scanner.
There is no mobile with such qualities on market, not even close. The 5MP on the iPhone 4 is close to 3MP in the results. Even the N95 is junk compared to the N8.
Nokia could have sold this smartphone as a high quality compact camera, which happens to be a smartphone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
andreab11

@wal2000 :

I didn't say I bought an iOs or Android device. I actually went back to BlackBerry, which is the best for what I need (that is : staying connected in real time with push email, im clients and telephone).

I have my opinion on Nokia N8 camera, and I'm sorry you think it is "false". I recently bought a Pentax H90 (75 euros compact) for keeping it in pocket and it outdoes the N8 in terms of video (HD) and image quality. I therefore repeat all I said earlier, which I think was pretty rational and unbiased :

"Let's also be honest about the quality of the camera : I'm a professional illustrator and photographer and I was obviously not expecting N8 to do any miracle, considering the number of pixels, the size of the sensor and other parameters, but at the same time I was hoping for an improvement, quality wise and keeping in mind it is a camera phone. Well I did comparisons with many 5 and 8 mpx cameras on other devices and I never found an huge quality difference. Nothing that could make me say that N8 is definitely better. Sony Ericssons are having a comparable photo quality, since years."

What I am saying is not that N8 camera sucks. It isn't a bad camera if we keep in mind it is inside of a phone. I am saying that it is not that great as Nokia shouted. The N8 is just a slightly above average camera phone that was marketed as an high class camera.

Whatever, I respect your opinion if you think differently, and I hope you are enjoying your N8.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Rewes

Well, well, well... It seems that the things have improved! Ovi mail is now instant and my imap account has "only" a 2-3 minute delay. Though, I hope it would also be instant it's still a huge improvement.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Petucky

as this push email service worked on my 5800XM without any issue for years (using Nokia Messaging service) and I am not able to get my C7 to do the same, I've decided to go little bit deeper into problem.

There logs from my email provider (gmail in this case) to see who connects to my account:

And maybe it is a coincidence, but every time U.S. IP connected, it found a new mail a sent to a device, but this was never case for U.K. servers.

Is there anyone from Nokia Messaging service who has the power to raise this issue further?

IMAPUnited States (64.57.242.92)2:34 pm (0 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited States (64.57.242.94)2:34 pm (0 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited Kingdom (131.228.18.93)2:25 pm (8 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited Kingdom (131.228.18.3)2:24 pm (9 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited States (64.57.242.91)2:23 pm (10 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited States (64.57.242.93)2:22 pm (12 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited Kingdom (131.228.18.77)2:10 pm (23 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited Kingdom (131.228.18.63)1:55 pm (38 minutes ago)
IMAPUnited Kingdom (131.228.18.101)

1:40 pm (53 minutes ago)

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
svi78

@Petucky,

Thank you for valuable feedback..

There was some issue on Nokia Messaging service using Gmail few hours ago. I am not sure if you have affected as well or if you have another issue. Could you test again?

Could you send a private message to my mailbox on this dicsusson forum? I need your IMEI and your email address,  We are not allowed to post a such kind of personal info to this public forum.

Please use plain text.
Sunny110

Pls i need free internet radio setting 4 nokia n96
Please use plain text.
Contributor
DiegoValec

[ Edited ]

@svi78

Are you serious? Have you not read that Nokia Messaging DOESN'T WORK for Gmail nor any other email service on Symbian^3 devices? Only Yahoo and Ovi has been working fine for the last few weeks, delivering email messages almost instantly.

This problem exists since the release of the N8 more than 6 months ago, it has been pointed out hundreds of times but obviously you guys are still on denial. If only 1 person (who does not work for Nokia) using a Symbian^3 device tells me the push mail system works perfectly for him/her I could believe that you don't see the problem, but all the people I know who uses these devices are having push mail issues.

As I've said before Nokia has disappointed me with this neverending problem. This is just too much, if the next firmware release doesn't fix this I will sell my N8, buy any other smartphone from any other company and forget Nokia exists.

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

we all just given up on this now?
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
davb

I think people are maybe just getting used to the fact it doesn't work properly, and a lack of solution from Nokia.

Mine works on and off - sometimes I get mail after a few minutes, sometimes I don't.  If I go into the mail (any account) it seems to 'wake up' and mail arrives to all accounts

Hopefully PR2 will sort it out.......

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

it would be nice if PR2.0 fixed it, but i don't have much hope.

i think it's server side. :smileysad:

i've noticed in the past with nokia that once they get a problem like this it doesn't go until they overhaul everything.

i'm pretty much not expecting it to ever be fixed. and i wouldn't expect it to be fixed on the the next series of phones either if it were not for the fact that they are moving to WP7
There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SubzeroAmir

I can confirm from personal experience that the gmail push is fixed on Symbian Anna.

I use E6 and N8 using symbian Anna beta version, and both pushed my gmail instantly. I no longer use mfe to sync my gmail.
Please use plain text.
rch_rch

Hello all

I have another issue with nokia n8 email:

All works fine, until I changed my email setting to use SSL certificate.

Outgoing emails are ok sent, but I am not able to receive any email, simply the connection cannot be established ....

IMAP (on my own domain)

SSL port 993

SMTP

TLS port 587

On my old phone this is working, on N8 not.

If I remove the SSL and use plain setup, it is working....

Certificated was sotred in phone successfully.... but not while accessing inbox, rather tan by sending email (which works)

Any help appreciated

p.s. with gmail, this is working, but there was no certificate requested and stored to phone

Please use plain text.