Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia update: N8 email

Technical Expert
svi78

Nokia update: N8 email

Hello

First of all thank you to all the Nokia Support Discussion Forum contributors who have posted comments and concerns about the way email has been performing on your Nokia N8.

We do take your feedback seriously and due to the nature of this particular forum thread we escalated your comments in a couple of directions within the organization.

At this point we would like to give you some feedback on the progress we have made on the issues raised in the thread:

1) Push delay with Ovi Mail and Gmail service accounts.

Nokia has implemented server improvements to address the polling interval delay. While we have made significant improvement to the delivery times we recognize that in some instances delays of around 10 minutes are still being experienced. As a result more investigation and improvements are underway.

2) Push not working

This particular issue could be due to use of service through a WAP access point. Nokia’s email service is available to our devices through Internet connections. It uses standard Internet protocols like HTTP and TCP to deliver and reconcile mailboxes. The notification channel, used to push new emails to devices, uses a TCP-based protocol that stays connected all the time, or during the times you’ve configured your device to receive email.

Some operators offer special WAP Internet gateways to connect devices to the Internet. These gateways normally filter out some kinds of traffic, and many are known to filter out or interfere with TCP-based protocols. For this reason, our Messaging service may not work reliably through WAP gateways. On Symbian^3 devices like the N8, the service always uses access points in the device’s Internet “destination.”

If you’re not getting emails pushed to your device, you might want to check and make sure there’s not a WAP access point in your device’s Internet destination. If you’re not sure about that, it’s not often set that way by default, as far as I’ve seen. But if you’re customizing your Internet destination, please take this into account.

3) Deletions not syncing on Ovi Mail

We have implemented a fix to this bug at the service level – emails deleted on the device should now appear as deleted in the Ovi Mail web UI Deleted folder

4) Push email not always working for Hotmail

We have confirmed with our colleagues at Microsoft that Email notifications will not be delivered to the mobile device if the user is signed in as “Online” using any Messenger client.  Notifications will be sent when the user’s status is set to Away, BeRightBack, Offline, etc.  By default, the Messenger desktop client will set the user to “Away” if they are idle for more than 5 minutes.

5) Other Topics:

There had been speculation that a firmware update was required to address the push email issues raised in the forum thread. This is not the case.

We continue tracking tickets on read-marks not syncing on Gmail and Ovi Mail, and we will update this Forum as soon as we more information.

We appreciate your concern and input and continue to work on delivering great email service.

Regards,

The Messaging Email Team at Nokia

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Nokia update: N8 email

Thank you so much for your enlightening feedback. Consedrimg your feedback, i'm still facing problems with hotmail. In many cases, even when i'm not logged in the MSN at all, the push is not working. I have to open the client to start pulling the new mails. In other some cases, i have to select synchroniz to start pulling the emails. In addition to that, it never synchronize the read email, it keeps them as if unread. Please help, all these issues were working perfectly with N97, the old nokia messaging client. Thank you so much in advance.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
FIN_N8

As we all have noticed there seems to be quite a lot of problems with the push e-mail.

I'd like to raise a new(?) question regarding the said push-mail-feature. Does anyone else have problems with sent mail? My problem with sent mail is that it does not get saved to the "sent" folder. Also, sending attachments seems to be failing almost, if not always.

Needless to say these are quite serious problems.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Henker

[ Edited ]

>There had been speculation that a firmware update was required to address the push >email issues raised in the forum thread. This is not the case.

Appreciate the news, but what about IMAP folders ? Once I managed to bypass the auto-setup of an account and access my mail directly (not via Nokia), at last I've been able to *see* my folders - but all of them appear on the phone as empty. I am seriously considering to buy profimail, that application has all the features Nokia should provide in the first place...

Please use plain text.
Sage

I'm raising some other annoying issues regarding this N8 email client, here you are.

Every time I send email from the N8 email client editor and press 'enter' to move the courser to the next line it works fine as I can see that the new line is entered correctly. But when the email is received be the intended recipient, the whole email appears in continuous way, without breaks, i.e... even my signature appears with the main textual body of the sent mail. Here is an example showing how the email is always received:

"Dear -------, Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'll check it out and come back to you ASAP. Kindest Regards, Ahmed Sent from my Nokia N8 phone"

BUT it should be received as the following:

"Dear -------, Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I'll check it out and come back to you ASAP.

Kindest Regards,

Ahmed

Sent from my Nokia N8 phone"

Any tips to have breaks between lines? I noticed that this usually occurs when I reply or forward emails from Hotmail. But when sending them from my Gmail account, no problem. Even when sending NEW mail fro Hotmail, no problem, only when replying or forwarding. So, most probably when using the HTML in the outgoing messages.

Also, another issue Whenever I send email in Arabic, it will be received in a wrong encoding, i.e... In form of question marks "???????" Can these issues be fixed? Very annoying!

Please HELP!!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ian_mac

My N8 is currently refusing to configure a Nokia Messaging email account when there are no emails in the inbox of the target account (as stated in the other closed thread)

It hangs at the "Configuring Mailbox" info box.

If I put a single email into the inbox (via other means) then the account will configure OK, however if I then remove that email so that the inbox is empty the mail client starts hanging again (when doing a full sync)

This is for a GMail account, and connection is over wi-fi.

I also note that the other thread was closed because the issues mentioned in it were addressed.  I was the starter of that thread and I can assure you the issues were not addressed.  I was not talking about delays in mails being retrieved.  I was talking about it not working at all.   Sadly that is still the case.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

I have my doubts that support has done anything, because there is no difference yesterday and today than the previous days.

Push mail just does not work with certain email accounts. I have 2 yahoo accounts, and it works with one, but the other one (which is newly created, and not many messages in the inbox) will not work.

It won't even configure the mailbox unless i have only 1 message in the inbox, and then the push mail just stops working, and even a manual sync doesn't work.

I have no idea why Push mail would work on one older yahoo account, but not work on a newly created yahoo account.

its very frustrating that support cannot resolve this.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Soooo Frustrated!

Again, and if you want to close this thread too go ahead,:

N8 Push email is not working

Please go and dig in your service and find the problem instead closing the thread after it became a well-known problem with the N8 email client!

Check what's wrong with Hotmail, it's not working as a push at all.

Gmail, sometimes works.

BTW, I'm always on WIFI or mobile internet and never on WAP!

Also, I'm always appear offline in the MSN if I'm logged in!

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

I have found with my newly created Yahoo account that if i create a folder, then push mail seems to work as expected.

It was not working at all, then i created a new folder within my yahoo mail, and now push mail seems to be working (for now).

Gonna test it more tonight, and will update back.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
talkenrain

I have to say, I'm very very disappointed after purchasing the N8. Great camera, Nice package, lots of features, but just too many issues.

The email issues list is so long, it angers me to think about listing.  Investing this much time to get the most basic things like email working is just not ok.  I've been thinking seriously about returning the phone, Although I'm a long time Nokia supporter, it's just not worth all the problems. I'd been using my N95 for almost 3 years. It's dated, but was working just fine. There is value in having a tool that works rather the something your constantly wondering if it's really working properly today.

I don't like drawing lines in the sand but I think we all deserve straight answers and the action plan to resolve these issues... WAP? Really?

If we've got something setup wrong, please tell us... Otherwise tell us what's really going on (the whole story), tell us when it will be fixed, give regular updates and maybe you'll keep your true customers.

Phone: Nokia N8-00, Software version: 011.012 2010-09-18 Custom version: 011.012.269.03 2010-09-23 Browser version: 7.2 Flash version:4.0 Java Version: 2.1
Service provider: T-Mobile USA WAP data service only.
Computer: Mac Pro 2 X 2.66Ghz. Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 6GB memory. Mac OS: 10.7.1, Applications: iSync 3.1.2 with N8 isync plugin 2v0, Multimedia Transfer 1.4.2
Please use plain text.
Sage

@henker

I too use the native email client, and I have absolutely no poblems seeing all of my synched folders on gmail..

N86 8mp: RM-485,0590552; Version 20.115 - 6/29/2009. - -- E71-2; RM-357; 0569371; Version 100.07.76 - 6/08/2008.
N8; N900
Please use plain text.
Contributor
skhorchid

[ Edited ]

Yes I noticed this receiving emails takes a long time now, sending with me is ok, I don't get the sent email logs, on my previous E71 I used to receive the mails quick both sending and receiving. It will receive mail after you manually synchronize it but not automatically.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
skhorchid

Back to my Old Nokia E71 till the push mail works again efficiently. :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

[ Edited ]

Far from fixing the problem you're just pretending it doesn't exist.

Push email on the N8 does not work

previously i was annoyed that the problem hadn't been fixed yet. now i am incandescent that it is not being looked into and will never be fixed. unbelievable. 'no there's no problem here, everything is working fine. nothing to see. move on'

for a start NM on the N8 does not connect through the internet destination. or mine doesn't. it connects through the first non wifi APN in the default destination. you should know this if you developed the phone.

It's like you think we're making it up. my phone is connected through the Vodafone 'contract internet APN,' the same one as my N97 was when it worked, the mail delivery works fine if you set it to 15 minutes, just not if you set it to Push. and that's an APN issue? Pull the other one.

even if it were an APN issue, it may not be your fault, but it is certainly your problem. blaming the users is ridiculous. as is the idea that you've waited 2 months to feed back on this. I've been using NM since i had my N95-2 and all of a sudden i don't know how to use it. pleases elaborate. tell me what kind of voodoo will get it working for me

you should remember that many of us N8 owners were also owners of the N97, and as such nokia is very much on it's last chance.

i'm beside myself that after two months of complaining not only is the fix not developed, it is not being developed and you do not acknowledge it exists. How about you look at your stats and see what percentage of your N8 users are successfully using push v 15 minute? then tell me if there is a problem.

unbelievable.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

[ Edited ]

My push email setup with my newly created yahoo email address will only work when there is one email in the inbox, once i get several emails in my inbox, PUSH mail fails to work.

Once i have several emails in my yahoo inbox push mail fails to push the mail to my cell phone, and even a manual sync fails to update anything.

I would think that it would at least work with Nokia's own Ovi mail account, but this fails too.

Nokia, you should be able to easily reprodcue this, to correctly identify where the problem is.

Please help

thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage

@flagpole

I do agree with every word you wrote.

What really drives me crazy is they said it’s not a FW issue which simply means that the problem won’t be solved and we have to accept the current situation. Exactly as they did with the N97, remember the ringtone issue, which is very basic task that any device in the world can handle very easily, they kept telling it’s a resources issue and all of a sudden, they issued a fixing FW.  Please NOKIA if you can’t figure out the problem seek external technical support and don’t keep denying the problem.

You should NOW officially address the problem and let your loyal customers know your intention regarding such an intolerable problem.

Flagpole a well-deserved kudos!

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

I am having the exact same problem with Ovi mail as Yahoo mail.

If I have more than one email in my inbox, Push mail is broken and I cannot even sync.

So, obviously the problem is not with Yahoo mail, because Ovi mail behaves the same

The issue appears to be with the Nokia push mail servers, or the N8 push mail software/config itself, and if that is the case, i doubt we will see any fix soon.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

[ Edited ]

Ok another update here..

I have done some more testing with Yahoo mail, and If i send one email at a time to my yahoo account, it is getting pushed to my N8 fine.

Its when i get a batch of emails, i would say at least 3 or more, then Push mail cannot handle it, and it just stops working completely at that point.

i was able to send 1 email every 30 seconds to my yahoo account, and each email was showing up instantly on my N8 via Push mail.

Then i sent a batch of 5 emails to my yahoo acount at once, and nothing was pushed to my N8, and even when i went into the N8 Yahoo account settings, and did a manual sync, it could not find and update my email.

Nokia.. Please!!!  i have basically done the troublshooting for you now.

Based on the information I have just given you, can you please get this addressed.

Its clear to me now that the N8 push email client gets hung when there are multiple emails (which have not yet been synced) in the source email account inbox when its trying to either setup a new mailbox on the phone or push mail down to an exisiting mailbox or when trying to manual sync.

thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

[ Edited ]

the very definition of a fault is when something doesn't work for your customers.

it's all well and good proclaiming that everything is ok, but when your customers can't use something that means there is a fault it's the definition. every other manufacturer can manage it.

your explanation thus far in no way explains why email works fine when set to 15 minutes but not when set to push. as something of a rebuttal to your wap based apn theory attached is a picture of the connection my phone is using for NM. you'll see that tcp and http are fine.

it's worth mentioning that there are many many other faults too. it just doesn't seem worth going in to detail until the bog one is fixed.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

[ Edited ]

svi78 wrote:

Hello

2) Push not working

This particular issue could be due to use of service through a WAP access point. Nokia’s email service is available to our devices through Internet connections. It uses standard Internet protocols like HTTP and TCP to deliver and reconcile mailboxes. The notification channel, used to push new emails to devices, uses a TCP-based protocol that stays connected all the time, or during the times you’ve configured your device to receive email.

Some operators offer special WAP Internet gateways to connect devices to the Internet. These gateways normally filter out some kinds of traffic, and many are known to filter out or interfere with TCP-based protocols. For this reason, our Messaging service may not work reliably through WAP gateways. On Symbian^3 devices like the N8, the service always uses access points in the device’s Internet “destination.”

If you’re not getting emails pushed to your device, you might want to check and make sure there’s not a WAP access point in your device’s Internet destination. If you’re not sure about that, it’s not often set that way by default, as far as I’ve seen. But if you’re customizing your Internet destination, please take this into account.

I am a little unclear here.. I am on AT&T network in the US.

When I go into my connection settings, network destinations i see this..

Internet:

2 access point (my wifi, and AT&T Internet)

WAP Services:

1 access Point (AT&T Medianet)

When I take a look at my AT&T internet connection settings, I see the access point name as wap.cingular.

Are you saying this is what is causing the problem? and exactly what do i need to do if so?

thanks

Please use plain text.