Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Non functional touch screen on Nokia N97 mini

Contributor
AndreiTV

Non functional touch screen on Nokia N97 mini

Hey everyone,

I'd really appreciate someone's help. I wanted to apply a new clear coat on my phone and after putting on the coat and the battery back in the phone, the touch screen will not work almost at all. There is no selection happening on the interface where I touch and the phone cannot be used.

Could someone give me some clue on what might be wrong with the phone?

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

[ Edited ]

Did you apply a screen protector to it? - If it stopped working after you applied it, I would peel it off and check if that solves it.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Hi, I've had a couple of screen  protectors on my N97 and not had a problem with the screen functioning, all I can suggest is to remove it and see if the screen function returns (it may be too thick to allow sensors to work ). On the downside it is possible you applied too much pressure on the screen when fitting the cover, or used too much water when applying it, and have damaged the phone or screen !!

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndreiTV

I've already peeled off all of the clear-coat that was applied. Nothing has changed. Surprisingly though, the phone says it wants to apply a software update but I cannot use the touch screen or the keypad to make the proper selections.

The coating was something like this: http://www.clear-coat.com/ (it was supposed to be good and cost much more than **bleep** protectors). It is applied by spraying the coat and then carefully applying it to the cell phone. I made sure that no droplets of the spray got anywhere away to damage the phone as I kept a paper towel very close by. Don't think there's any water damage but maybe a connector was loosened in the process?...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

As mr. wheelman was mentioning, I was thinking about pressure damage... - Did you apply much pressure to the screen when fitting it?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndreiTV

To be honest, I can't say no or yes. I was using the little rubber piece to pull out the water from underneath the foil.

Is it possible to fix the screen somehow?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Hmm, hard to know what's the actuall problem. It could be damaged by fluid, damaged by pressure, a connector has gotten loose or something else. If you think that it might have been fluid causing it, you should look at the pool of knowledge section. - There's what to do if youre phone has suffered from whater damage. - But I don't know for sure how the sticky fluid affects the hardware in your phone.

If the screen is still damaged, I think you will have to take it to a Nokia care point, but there's a slight chance it could be a fault caused by you - and in that case it will not be covered by warranty. - If the care point discovers so, I would contact the screen protector maker...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndreiTV

Do you know of any such care centers in California, general San Francisco area? When I went to open the data plan at T-Mobile, they had barely heard of the phone so I'm not sure they can help.

I was looking at Nokia's US website and their repair facility is located in Alabama and they didn't list any other centers that you could get some information/diagnosis from.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, sorry. I'm located in europe, so I have no clue other than what the nokia page tells me/you, but it might be that you have to send it away if you can't get it to work again. Maybe you should contact Nokia by mail or phone first?

If the phone is brand new, I would have taken it back to the store and you might be lucky by getting a new one or make them get it repaired...

But as I mentioned, it might be a damage caused by you and if that's the case - the warranty is voided which would mean that 1. you have to pay for the repair or 2. Nokia won't repair it.

But it could might as well be a issue which are covered by warranty. - If it's not, - It will depend of what info you give them, and what they are able to see them selves if you catch my drift...

Have you pulled out the battery for at least 5 mins? - You might wanna try leaving the phone without battery, simcard, memorycard and back cover over night (in dry normal room temp) and check if you can get it to work again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
AndreiTV

I actually purchased it while it in Europe over Christmas and at the time it wasn't available in the US... Returning it or sending it for repairs is quite a bummer.

One last question. Should the buttons on the lower side of the screen be working? The green and red buttons used for calling and accessing the contact list...

They don't seem to be behaving well either and sometimes the screen does respond for only a few seconds and goes back to being unresponsive... Not sure what the damage is....

Please use plain text.
samsontan234

Re: Try drying up the N97 mini screen

As many on elsewhere have reported many times the humidity or dust trapped between the screen protector and screen could be a problem. I do not know what fluid the clear-coat uses but your best bet will be to try:

First rub the palm to heat it up and flatly cover the screen (which you have removed the screen protector) to warm it a while. Then try touching screen see if it reacts. If it does, you might perhaps try :

2nd you a hair dryer to blow dry it. See if it can help.

I hope it helps because I have an N97 mini and I think it is a very good phone: more functional than iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nitatori

Re: Try drying up the N97 mini screen

trust me tht dont work .... =[

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lfcmc

I am facing the same problem. Have you solved yours?
Please use plain text.