Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Open letter to Nokia Messaging dev team: imap idle...

Counsellor

Open letter to Nokia Messaging dev team: imap idle is NOT working (72).

Hi,

I would like to ask the developers of Nokia Messaging if they are aware of the fact themailclient in the E72 isn't supporting Imap IDLE anymore.

Before, in the E71 for example, there was indeed a timesetting in the native client BUT this was used when the client got disconnected. for example:client connected > phonecall arrives, client disconnects > phonecall ends > client connects after 5 minutes (or any other timespan accoridng to the settings) and STAYS connected.

Nokia Messaging: if you set it up at 5 minutes it checks every 5 minutes for mail. This is NOT 'idling' on a server. 'Idle' means in this case 'stay connected, just sit there and wait for messages')

the specs on your site CLEARLY state for the E72:

Supported protocols: IMAP4 (with idle), Nokia Messaging, Microsoft ActiveSync, POP3, SMTP

This means that the product that i have bought IS NOT DOING what you promise. I could probably solve with start using Nokia Messaging but this and was never my intention. I just the phone to do what it is supposed to do: imap idle without the use of Nokia Messaging as stated in its specs (as it was before by the way).

WOULD APPRECIATE AN ANSWER!

Called Nokia support in Belgium. No answer from them.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)

Re: Open letter to Nokia Messaging dev team: imap idle is NOT working (72).

Hello,

IMAP Idle does in fact work on the E72 and all other Nokia Messaging supported devices.  It looks like you are using the native protocol (not Nokia Messaging) to synchronize your email.  Are you able to log in to your Nokia Messaging account on http://email.nokia.com?

Thanks,
Jeremiah

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

hello Jeremiah,

Ofcourse i'm using the native protocol! It should work as stated in the specs:

Supported protocols: IMAP4 (with idle), Nokia Messaging, Microsoft ActiveSync, POP3, SMTP

"Imap idle" is written apart from "Nokia Messaging". Our corporate mail simply doesn't allow the use of Nokia Messaging Service's servers! The native client in our e71's did just fine. Are you trying to tell me that a newer phone can do less than it's former model???

If the specs write "Imap COMMA Nokia Messaging..." this means that this has nothing to do wich eachother.

Imap Idle is a system where the client "idles" on the mailserver meaning that the server doesn't kick the client after a while. What Nokia Messaging does is sync/push. That's not imap idle either.

Clearly the phone DOES NOT meet it's specs. It's as simple as that! Therefor it should be fixed!

(i'm talking about +- 25 units wich were bought because of the imap idle capability like the E71)

(I'm not the only one reporting this by the way)

EDIT:

Let's compare it with the specs with a Nokia that really doesn't support imap idle, the N900:

Supported protocols: Mail for Exchange, IMAP, POP3, SMTP

Support for Nokia Messaging service

As you can see: this phone has IMAP but not idle. again this is mentioned appart from the sentence "support for Nokia Messaging."

So the conclusion: the E72 should idle, the N900 not. But in both cases: it has NOTHING to do with Nokia Messaging as a service.

You shouldn't have given the service AND the client thesame name by the way. It's very confusing for some users.

Message Edited by e72u on 18-Dec-2009 08:16 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

hi,

ANd yes: i can perfectly login into email.nokia.com and it also works with my phone. I (we) only don't want/can't use it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Would the E72 users(and i'm addressing especially the companies representatives) be willing to sue the Nokia company for their total neglect and false publicity they have given the Nokia E72 customers, even though this should be a high-performance device?

Thank you and waiting for your reply.

Message Edited by fdiaconeasa on 18-Dec-2009 09:26 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi again,

FYI

I can confirm that the IMAP idle bug still excists in v.22.007 for the E72

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Doke

I am totally furious!

I bought the Nokia E72 especially for that particular fact, so I could have my Emails pushed via IMAP4 Idle, instead of having the device pool them every 5 minutes and drain the battery...

This is not acceptable at all! For that matters, I could have kept an iPhone... At least, they don't lie in there specs...

Up! Up! Don't let this thread die. I would like an answer from Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Yes, they MUST fix this because it's in the specs!!!

In fact, the IMAP IDLE works fine, the problem is that the phone doesn't keep the connection open. When the mailbox is connected to the IMAP server (so the circle is green), every change in the mailbox (new or deleted message) is immediatelly pushed to the phone. This means that the IDLE works. They must just fix the issue with the permanent connection.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Doke

@vasilev: exactly what I just posted here:

/t5/Messaging-Email-and-Browsing/Nokia-E72-IMAP-mail-problems/td-p/578790/highlight/false/page/2

Quoting:

Hi!

Thank you very much to the author and creator of this thread... All issues mentionned are also valid in my case...

I bought my E72 especially for IMAP4 Idle feature and it does not work as expected!

It seems like IMAP4 Idle is implemented only partially... It works if the connection is not dropped. Then, the scheduler will check periodically (pull) but won't connect the phone with Idle...

(Connect, drain battery, check mailbox (pull), drain battery, disconnect, drain battery.)

Nokia, please fixe this!

And get your acts together, my country variant Nokia is still with a firmware of Oct 2009!

Please use plain text.
Sage

Yes, it's a known fact, I just wanted to remnid it here. I think this is very important because 99% of the IDLE support is already there. It seems that they intentionaly made it to not work, so we have no other choice except using the Nokia Messaging if we want push mail. So, I don't believe they will make it to work in the next firmwares...:smileymad:

But they must do it because IMAP IDLE is mentioned in the phone specifications and it has nothing to do with Nokia Messaging as they want us to believe :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Hi all!

I'm glad i'm not alone but there never will be enough people complaining about this i'm affraid.

This is what happened in the time between i started this post and now:

After MONTHS of mailing i got an answer from Nokia. The reason why it disconnects after a few minutes it to let the 'new' way of dealing with accespoints (priorities) do it's work. It disconnects to let the phone check if there's a better accespoint in the currently used group. That was the last mail i got from them (few weeks back). I instantly mailed them back:

-this is all very well BUT I HAVE ONLY ONE ACCESPOINT IN THE GROUP I USE SO WHY DOES IT DISCONNECT? THERE IS NO REASON TO CHECK FOR A BETTER ACCESSPOINT AS THERE SIMPLY AREN'T ANY!

-IMPLEMENT IT CORRECTLY: TELL THE USER: "more than one IAP in the used group is NO idle".

- STILL MY OPINION STAYS THESAME: YOU GIVE A REASON WHY IDLE DOES NOT WORK BUT EVEN THEN YOU SELL IT AS AN IMAP IDLE MACHINE WICH IS NOT THE CASE! YOU ARE FOOLING BUYERS!

No answer from them yet. They must be SO stupid if they didn't expect question 1 in my mail!

i tried facebook, twitter... nothing.

Anyway: i bought 25 E72's for my company after using 9500, 9300i, E61, E61i, E71.... but if they wont fix it for the current E72 it will be over for Nokia on our company!!!

greets

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Doke

What is funny there, is that you cannot define destinations in the mailbox settings. You can only define one accesspoint! So no group...

Grrrrrr.

Further follow ups from them?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Same thing is happening with the E52, no IMAP IDLE and after so many months of reporting, no sign of fixing this crucial problem.

Owner of E52 - E as in Experimental.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I noticed IMAP IDLE had been sabotaged since I got my N85 (N95 and E61i supported it as per specification)

Complained to Nokia - they refused to 'understand' what I was saying.

They have *obviously* nobbled IMAP-IDLE support to promote NokiaMessaging - absolutely pathetic!  And the department that puts the specs together obviously hasn't been informed!

I have purchased RoadSync on my E72 to get push from my Google-Apps account.

Because, hilariously, they have sabotaged their activesync support to not include google's (which was working perfectly with Nokia Mail for Exchange v2.9 and before)

So, Nokia have broken all the ways you can get free 'push' on your gmail account except the horrible Nokia Messaging!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
zaxxx16

You can write as many Open Letters to Nokia, the Company Doesn't Give a Dam nn!!

[ Edited ]

Hi all I've not been in these forums for a month or so (one has to work to earn a living ;-) but I see the E72 continues to attract criticism of its features and bugs .. infact the list seems to be growing longer by the day.

Early in the year when I first purchased an E72, I wrote some of my frustrations in a coupl eof threads, the main ones were here:

/t5/Eseries-Devices-and/Thinking-of-purchasing-E72/m-p/643668#M62477

In that forum, I've provided a fairly detailed summary of some of the simple features that don't work as they should. Detractors have a habit of suggesting you go over to Nokia or Ovi website or use certain third party apps, etc .... but hey, if you bought a brand new Scandinavian motorcar, would you be happy to have to buy/install additional items just to make it go??

Also, if you look in that thread, you would notice a die-hard Nokia supporter -- who claims he doesn't actually own an E72, yet feels utterly qualified to think its the best thing invented since sliced bread! Interestingly, the same person has been posting in this thread too, criticising the criticisms of the IMAP IDLE.

Nokia has been making numerous false claims in its sales gimmicks - one that I'm pretty sore with is the claim that the E72 is a serious smartphone for business. As e72u has also found out (the hard way), thats far from the truth.

Yet, it is interesting to note that in the midst of all these criticism, comments, reporting here and in various other forums, Nokia has been steadfastly deaf and quiet - there has been absolutely no comments, explaination or clarification (I would not expect an apology) from Nokia or its staff. If I am wrong (or any of the other people complaining on these forums), then the least Nokia's public relations or technical people can do is to clarify. Prove me wrong (I don't mind that; atleast it'll clear my doubts and I'll be able to use the device happily).

As it is, I doubt Nokia will respond. Having become a market leader by sales volume, its also now become a Goliath who is slow to react. True, some of the funky phones now emerging from little startups in the East may be a joke (with their poor English and user interface) but at this rate, it would be maybe just a couple of years before companies line Nokia begin to feel the drop in sales.

I have prophesed, Nokia is not gonna listen, but hundreds of readers to these forums should be warned ... dont believe any of Nokia's marketing hype.

There ought to be laws out there on the use of the term 'smartphone'
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: You can write as many Open Letters to Nokia, the Company Doesn't Give a Dam nn!!

zaxxx16 wrote:

Yet, it is interesting to note that in the midst of all these criticism, comments, reporting here and in various other forums, Nokia has been steadfastly deaf and quiet - there has been absolutely no comments, explaination or clarification (I would not expect an apology) from Nokia or its staff.

Yeah, this part is strange to me too. You know, you can't really call us "enemies of Nokia" because all of us have bought their phones (invested in the company in a way). Before I got my E51 (I got E52 after that), I had HTC Vox (S710) for a long time. You can make any comment you like about that phone, but the fact remains that the basic stuff on that phone - work. On my E52 as most crucial problems I would list: the calls getting disturbed (network issue, on the same places I had perfect network coverage on my E51 and Vox) and this IMAP IDLE issue. This (E52 and E72) are business series phones, and in business the least you expect from your phone is conversations and e-mailing. 

Owner of E52 - E as in Experimental.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: You can write as many Open Letters to Nokia, the Company Doesn't Give a Dam nn!!

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

It is as Zaxxx wrote. Nokia is leading the market (for now!!!!) and as far as i know marketleaders never listen to the small ones (like we are) as they start to get the (false) feeling they became immortal. They're probably reading this (at least the people who are not payed to care) and laughing about it all. All i can do is keep on posting and keep on mailing to any @nokia emailaddress i can find. All i can say is: they're making fun of the user. When you read their TWitter or facebook page. They are SO enthousiast about stupid add-ons like a java chatclient etc. They must be thinking we're ALL kiddies. Also... the fact that the create a java(?) chatclient clearly proves to me that they don't even have the knowledge to make a proper C++ client. Im getting more and more sure about this: the day they left S80 i guess it was thesame day they fired all their good programmers.

About the problem itself: in the mean time i tried EVERY single combination of settings as some claim it stays connected on some specefic connections. No luck at all. It's simply NOT working while they claim the phone is capable, PERIOD

for the readers who start reading this posting: this is NOT about Nokia Messaging SERVICE but about the new client who's also called Nokia Messaging and making a DIRECT connection to a mailserver!!!!! (in the mails i got from nokia it seems it is even for them confusing, VERY funny. You send them a mail full of techstuff and you get an answer you should goto email.nokia.com. like you are talking to a bot or something)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
zaxxx16

Buy Simple Nokia Phones; Stay Away from Advanced Nokia Phones

[ Edited ]

We are far from being Nokia enemies. If anything, we are giving them free feedback. In corporate circles, concerned companies pay millions of bucks to the likes of Pricewaterhouse, etc to do strategic consulting, ie to tell them what really is right or wrong with their company, products, etc. In the new millenium, the internet and tools such as forums provide similar service, only at a fraction of the cost and a damningly honest one too!

My take on the matter is this: sure Nokia staff are reading these forums and laughing at us 'idiots'. The 'noise-makers' are few and far between. Nokia also has their die-hard fans (some people have never used any of the advanced features on their phones so would know little) as well as their own 'plants' (ppl who are Nokia employees tasked with dropping feel-good stories in various threads. I've done enough corporate consulting to know this ;-)

The same person who was supporting Nokia in this thread also had an extended argument with me in the afore-mentioned thread. Some people think someone having 300 odd contacts is a power-user (I have in excess of 1,300 contacts, 90% current and active). Some people questioned my desired to be able to snooze an alarm for a user defined period (that Nokia lover accused me for wanting "more bells & whistles than Fort Knox").

The last example is something simple that can implemented. My Palm circa 2003 had that feature. Say if an alarm sounds for a set event, but you are still in a meeting/busy, wouldn't it be gud to be able to snooze the alarm for a specified period, say 40 mins? At the moment, the E72 only lets you set ONE global snooze period which applies for all alarms.

The way I see it Nokia with its so-called business series of devices have 2 probs - (1) it has many bugs and high-end features that do no work as promoted / advertised, and (2) it lacks many simple features that cheaper/older phones have. Can't be too difficult for those Finns to decipher this, can it??

And what would happen to Nokia? Well, I think its getting so big headed in recent times that its alienating a lot of serious / old-time fans. In todays market, there is great variety of choice. If one is to get buggy and ill-designed products anyway then why pay premium dollars for a Finnish lemon when you can settle for a similar lemon (and at times with almost enuff bells & whistles to challenge Fort Knox) from say China, at a fraction of the price. And to think that many of these Chinese clones today ship with dual SIM capability as well as a (fuzzy no doubt) TV monitor!

My advice to folks out there, please do buy a Nokia if you are in the market for a cheap, no-frills phone to be used as a spare phone or on those mountain camping trips when a gud flashlight is required. But if you are looking for a serious BIZNESS SMARTPHONE, the E72 is definately not it. Still love you, darling!

There ought to be laws out there on the use of the term 'smartphone'
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Buy Simple Nokia Phones; Stay Away from Advanced Nokia Phones

Hi,

Just a quick posting to let you all know that in the latest FW of the E72 (031.023) Imap IDLE is still NOT working. After reporting this everywhere (here, nmfeedback@nokia.com, twitter, facebook...) my boss is getting SO tired of this that he is contacting a lawyer this week to see if it is doable to sue Nokia allthough we have to find somebody who is specialized in international consumer-rights. Probably it will be more expensive than buying another 27 phones but still....

Please use plain text.
gopia

Re: Buy Simple Nokia Phones; Stay Away from Advanced Nokia Phones

Would REALLY appreciate IMAP idle without having to use Nokia Messaging on my e52.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.