Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Open new tab / window in S60 browsers. 2 techn...

Mobile Guru

Open new tab / window in S60 browsers. 2 techniques

Ok, so as far as I know, the last (only?) Nokia phone to support opening new windows/tabs was the 7710, a great handset with a built in Opera browser. The new S60 browser supports multiple windows, but there's no way to ask it open one on demand.. So here's my little work around.. Pay attention there are two parts!!

First of all, there's a web page I've set up:

http://newtab.co.uk/

When you open that page, there is a link that asks the browser to open a new window! Simple!

BUT.. there's a problem..

Say I have nokia.co.uk open in the browser and I want a new window.. how do I do it.. I could go to the link above, but that would loose Nokia.co.uk and replace it with the "open new tab" page.. Not ideal.. But now there's a way to KEEP the current page open and allow you to open a new window

First, the set up!

Visit the link above. Don't select the Open new page link, but instead ask your browser to subscribe to the feed. This is tricky since it is not the same on all phones, but on the N97 you'd select "Options", "Subscribe to feed"

That's it, you're set!

Now, how to use this feature.. 

Let's do a walk through..

Go to a page.. http://www.google.com/ is a good place to start..

Now, lets open a window WITHOUT loosing the google.com page.. 

Open up your web feeds. On the N97, you can select "Options", "Go To", "Web Feeds". Now select the "New Tab" feed, then select the item in the feed "Open New Tab" item.Click on the link and you'll have TWO windows open.. If you toggle between them you'll see the google window remains and the new tab is ready for use!

I've only tested this on an N97, E90 and 5800.. it works for me.. Strangely it works on my 7710 too.. but it's kind of redundant since it already supports multiple windows/tabs!!

Please hit the kudo button if you like, and please let me know if you have any problems or even if you have some suggestions or improvements!

Hope you like..

Nokia, PLEASE support "open new window" and "Open link in new window" I miss those features so bad!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: Open new tab / window in S60 browsers. 2 techniques

I just want to second the poster above. I would also really love to see the 'Open in New Window' feature. While we are at it, how about..

- ability to copy the current page address,

- see the address of the link before I click on it

Please use plain text.
Sage
toxaris

Yea, Copy/Paste. Why isnt that function implemented in Symbian browser and no other browsers like Opera either.
//Daniel Persson

My history: 8210. 7210. 6280. N96. Current: N900.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Fingers crossed that it's something that will be cross-pollinated in from the N900 browser. In that you have a pan/zoom mode and a text-selection mode, which would translate perfectly to S60 V5. For S60 V3 you could impliment the same thing via "caret browsing".
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Sage
adi_vastava

Count my vote also, for both additional tab, copying page address.

Aditya

Please use plain text.
Sage
adi_vastava

Good News Good News,

Tabbed browsing is in with lates Opera Mini

download from m.opera.com/next or at PC use http://www.opera.com/mini/next/

Cheers

Aditya

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vin86

This is a great work around! I will use it with my 5630. (I generally use opera mobile but sometimes the native browser is launched)

Thank you to the author. 

As a suggestion, you could put a simple hits counter on the newtab page. It would be interesting to see how many people have used your technique!

Regards,

Vinny

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

The page should be cached.. this means when you use it, hopefully it is stored in the phone's browser and won't need to download it again..
however:

Since launch:
20913 page loads
2645 unique IP addresses visited the site

Not many, I suppose, 66 hits a day on average.. but I guess that's at least 66 people a day happier :smileyhappy:

I'll see what I can do with a hit counter..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SymbianSimian

Hi, not sure if you still follow this discussion lets try:

I think I have followed your directions but when I try to open "Options", "Go To", "Web Feeds", "New Tab" feed I get a "unknown error", and my phone freeze for a couple of minutes. I have a 5800NE NAM on V50. and have no other apps running. When I open the feed with the "edit" option it has the following in the fields:

Title : New Tab

Address : http://rss.newtab.co.uk/

Auto updates : off

Hope you can help me, this is a must have, can't wait (and I mean that literally) for Nokia to get there act together, currently using the allaboutsymbiannewtab but don't want to have to use the back button,

Laurens

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

On my 5800 UK v5.0.005

1) Open web browser... brings up list of book marks

2) Options -> Go to -> New web page

3) enter www.newtab.co.uk, then press Go to

4) Press arrow icon in bottom-right

5) Options -> Subscribe to web feed

6) Select "New Tab"

That's the set up.. Now to use it

1) Open google.com

2) Select Options -> Go to -> Web feeds

3) Select "New tab" from the feeds list

4) Select "Open new tab" from list

5) Select "Open new tab" from top of web page

Now there are two windows

Try deleting the feed from your phone, then following those steps.. let me know how you get on

Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

You could use digia web browser instead.
Its the same as s60 browser,but supports tabs directly.
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Professor
kman00

We just need to be patient peeple, we should have the new browser hopefully in early next year and it should fix many problems this old browser has so fingers crossed. Nokia knows they can't screw this one up hehe.

Nokia N80
Nokia N82
Nokia N97
Nokia N8 Dark Gray- RM-596
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SymbianSimian

Deleted the old feed, got to step three  from "use it" and got the "unknown error" followed by the freeze, it could be my phone, might try a hard reset, I've been installing and uninstalling pretty heavy (spend a lot of time in hotels so trying to get a setup with tv-out and bluetooth keyboard so I can listen to my tunes and browse the net from my bed). Really appreciate your answer, wont stop trying to make this work!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SymbianSimian

downloaded digia and cuweb, and have opera and skyfire (but with all the iphone and android people I cant get a connection) installed, but I prefer the native app to work the way it should. (Skyfire is the only browser that lets you open grooveshark, iphonesque useragentchanger with native browser is still not working)
Please use plain text.