Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Orange Customers Refused Updates (N80) ??

Counsellor

when I contacted Orange about my N80, they said they cant send me a replacement phone I even have Orange care and contacted them just 2 days after my phone arrived! Orange are most likely to just send out a replacement phone with exactly the same firmware "they are aware with the problem but have left it to Nokia to deal with it as its not their problem" thats what an Orange executive told me when I phoned them up last time, and they would only be able to send a second handset out to me if I cancelled the current contract with them pay an other £40 for the handset itself and then set up a new contract with them. What a hassle! I'm hoping to switch over to Vodafone hopefully they will have the latest firmware on their handsets I have contacted Vodafone to ask them what version they have and also contacted Karim to see what he has to say about it.
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]
Well, personally I'm getting to the stage where Nokia don't reply, and Orange only want to send me another handset which sufferes the exact same issues. I've only ever had an Orange contract, and only had Nokia's!

Sorry, but based on specs alone it says it should last, in standby, as long as any other Nokia does.

Surely N80 customers have a case for trade descriptions act?

Maybe we should all head over to http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog and bombard them with emails so this issue gets publisised and resolved!

Message Edited by getsurfers on 05-Jun-2006
09:51 PM

Orange Handsets : Nokia 51 > NK702 (6130) > 6210 > 6310i (silver)> 7210i > 6230 > 6230i (silver) > N80 (silver) > N95-1
T-Mobile: N96
Please use plain text.

well i'm waiting for it to come this morning but based on your comments i dont hold out much hope for this one actually working... the battery life i can deal with because i can charge every day at work but jus things like freezing up are driving me insane
Please use plain text.
Professor
bigguy

Could somebody please tell me what they're doing for the phones to freeze? I've experienced all the problems as other people on here but since upgrading the firmware: version 3.0614.0.3 I seem to have a lot less problems, btw, I am on the Orange network but I have never spoken to Orange themselves about this just Nokia service centre and for information, it doesn't matter what network you are on, if you are experiencing problems you are entitled to a firmware upgrade under warranty, free of charge, but note, they will not give you a free upgrade if there is nothing wrong with your phone just because you fancy the most up to date firmware.
Please use plain text.

well i have received my replacement and it is firmware 3.0614.0.3 although i think this is the same as previous version but so far seems to be running ok.
in response to above post.. the phone froze up at random points. things like changing a theme maybe or trying to access the gallery were times it often did it to me
Please use plain text.
Sage

Browsing the web, opening the gallery, playing videos, opening images it would just freeze on opening..... for 15 mins until I turned it off, erm and sometimes taking photos.
Please use plain text.
Professor
bigguy

I've had problems but never to that degree, I wonder if there are a number of faulty handsets out there.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

06-Jun-2006
12:47 PM
bigguy wrote:
I wonder if there are a number of faulty handsets out there.

lololol, i think there have been less than 10 people on the boards here complaining that the N80 is defective :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Ya my new n80 under o2 network came this morning :smileyhappy: the first thing i noticed was this handset has the version v3.0617.0.6 and my handset from orange had v3.0614.0.3

This is where i get lost because i have know idea if this is the update or not, maybe someone on here knows? :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

The phone is bound to have bugs its a new phone, but i cant help thinking if the phone was left with the setting from nokia then there wouldn't be half as many problem...

still there are things that nokia could look into and improve apone.

I can't really give a review of the new phone as i've only had it an hour or so, but so far so good i guess... lol :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Haha lisa76 you lucky dab, wish I had my N80 :smileysad:. Your probably be messing around with it all day now :d. If you see any faults with your new O2 N80 will you report them on here? Vodafone emailed me and said "I am happy to tell that we have the latest updated version of Nokia N80 with the software level of 3.0164.0.3" isnt this the firmware version that Orange have and has lots of bugs in it?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

well that is the version which is on my orange n80... i have no idea about the handset that came this morning as i said it v3.0617.0.6 i'm guessing this is an update as it has 03-05-2006 RM-92 nokia n80 (01)
but like i said i dont know so maybe someone on here does? :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

just to let you know

I had the firmware on my Orange N80 updated last week to 617.6 and since then haven't had many problems - even the orangeinternet access has resolved itself so not connecting to net everytime i switch on, and think it has only crashed about once since then
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

that's great to hear walkerx, i'm pleased orange did that for you, all they did with me was to disconnect my gprs from my phone....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Got friend to take it to a repair shop, while I was at work

Orange contacted me after about 5 days regarding the problems I was having with the phone (same as most people on here) - told them it was sorted after getting it into a repair shop - also explained that it looked to be an issue with all n80's supplied by orange and that the firmwares should be updated to fix the problems

I saved all information to memory card and was able to restore from that so had not much setting up to do when got it back

since then i think it's crashed once but probably because of me

if you get the bugs of the phone it works very well, even battery life is now increasing and can leave on all day without it needing charging. I charge it automatically every night anyway as I did with my K750 as use the alarm feature
Please use plain text.

Just for the record Lisa, Orange haven't taken over wanadoo - they have "merged". . . . both companies are owned by France Telecom and it was a business decision to bring the mobile and broadband services together under one branding.
I had the same problem with 2 nokia phones i've owned due to the orange homescreen/software and the bottom line is that other points of sale (e.g carphone warehouse) can provide generic handsets with original factory settings, hence the slightly higher price you would pay.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

hi kingchunk, thanks for clearing up the whole orange and wanadoo issue in regards to taking over and merging, and it being a business decision to bring the mobile and broadband services together under one branding.
this branding being orange :smileywink: and before that freeserve "merged" it's sister company wanadoo did it not?, call it what you will orange are wanadoo now, and well if it means cheeper broadband i'm all for it :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

and an up date on the new n80 I got this morning i likey :smileyhappy: i likey very much :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: went straite on the wifi at home fist time no mucking around for ages, to get it to work, i'm still playing around with it, and comparing it to the orange handset I had, so will keep people updated.... :smileywink::smileywink:
Please use plain text.

Coolio - glad it's going well. I really like the look of the Nseries phones but after reading all these posts i think i'll stick to my trusty carrier pidgeon lol!!

as an afterthought . . . i think you'll find that wanadoo is now orange, not the other way round lol (picky picky)
Please use plain text.

I went to my local Nokia service centre today for them to update my N80 firmware to the latest v3.0617 (03/05/2006) When I got home with the phone I saw that it still had the previous firmware v3.0614(11.04.2006)! When I phoned them back they said that they believed they had loaded the latest firmware (he even quoted the latest version number without a prompt from me). When I told him my phone still had the latter firmware he said it was probably because Orange had still not cleared it for use on their network. As soon as the software had seen it was an Orange phone it would have loaded the 3.0614 firmware. He seemed to think that Orange were playing a waiting game until Nokia released their last update once all the bugs were cleared. Then they would 'authorise' the firmware. So don't hold your breath!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I was told by Orange that firmware would be updated via sim updates whenever possible and that any visits to CPW Services centres had to be pre-authorised with Orange to avoid invalidating your warranty.
Please use plain text.
Sage

05-Jun-2006
11:53 AM
crea2k wrote:
Got friend to take it to a repair shop, while I was at work

Orange contacted me after about 5 days regarding the problems I was having with the phone (same as most people on here) - told them it was sorted after getting it into a repair shop - also explained that it looked to be an issue with all n80's supplied by orange and that the firmwares should be updated to fix the problems

I saved all information to memory card and was able to restore from that so had not much setting up to do when got it back

since then i think it's crashed once but probably because of me

if you get the bugs of the phone it works very well, even battery life is now increasing and can leave on all day without it needing charging. I charge it automatically every night anyway as I did with my K750 as use the alarm feature quote>

Do you have the nokia firmware now or the orange hashed up version ?.
Please use plain text.