Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Outgoing VoIP calls not available on E52??

Counsellor

Outgoing VoIP calls not available on E52??

According to a post in a thread available in symbianfreak.com's forum, VoIP is available on E52, as you can install a third party VoIP provider's software to the phone and receive calls, however you cannot call someone. Is that true?? It sounded weird to me. Perhaps it could be a firmware issue which would be fixed, I suppose, eventually. Or may be there is a problem with the third party VoIP provider's software. Although the owner of the post did not disclose the name of the provider, it sounded a bit weird to me that a VoIP software compatible with E52 is currently available by a VoIP provider. For instance my VoIP provider, truphone, does not at least for the time being provide support to E52. This niether has suprised me, because as I said the phone has been very recently released, nor concerns me, because I know that truphone will eventually provide support for E52.

The post reads as follows:

"I got my e52, not happy! nokia has removed the internet call feature! i can register to my voip provider, i can receive voip calls (by this i mean i click on test call on my voip provider's website, they call me and i receive the call), but i can't make outward calls"

It is available in the below link:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=504952

Can someone who owns E52 give feedback regarding E52's VoIP capabilities? Although truphone's website does not currently provide support for E52, I will really appreciate if you can try to install lastest truphone software to your E52 and try making an internet call. In fact, any feedback stating that you can initate internet calls with E52 regardless of whichever provider would be sufficient.

PS. As far as I understand, the owner of the post of can make internet calls via Wi-Fi but not via 3G. So I will appreciate if you can give feedback regarding E52's VoIP capabilities through (i) Wi-Fi; and (ii) 3G networks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, I am another user of the E52. They have a feature to download 3 VoIP provider settings that are somehow tied with Nokia. When I used my VoIP provider's OTA config message to try to configure my phone to use their service, it does not work. I cannot even register to my provider even with the settings in place. I have also not been able to receive calls.

I am only using WiFi for VoIP calls.

I am still waiting for my provider to get back to me on how to properly configure the E52.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

So you could register to your VoIP provider, receive and initiate internet calls with your previous Nokia phones??

It appears that your problem is not related with your network provider and its possible restrictions on the usage of VoIP, as you have stated that you use your VoIP only via Wi-Fi and not via your network provider. Right?

BTW, do you use truphone?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi
you better uninstall VOIP SW you got and install "Fring".
Fring is a SW including SKYPE, ICQ MSN messenger,SIP and more.
after installing Fring you'll be able to contact thru SKYPE.
I did it a week ago and it worked perfectly
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, I had no problems using voip with the E51. I don't use truphone. I only subscribe to Pfingo.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

juda,

I have used Fring before. Found that the voice quality lags when compared to pfingo. I mainly use Fring for skype and msn.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Please do not digress. The issue here is the usabiliy of VoIP in Nokia E52, and not which VoIP provider is better.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Check the site:  www.freenetcalls.yolasite.com

For FREE/CHEAP  VoIP calls from mobile.

Work from anywhere

Call from anywhere to anywhere. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seron

I agree with mg428. Please stay OT and give feedback, if you can, on whether VOIP works with the built-in software with either WiFi or 3G.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi

Not sure if this is off topic, but I'm also trying to install the VOIP applications on my Nokia E52. However, the handset is not included in the list of compatible handsets. 

How can I proceed? Is there a different phone model that is compatible with the Nokia E52?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I use MobiVoiper. www.mobivoiper.com. www.mobivoiper.ca

Here is free calls to USA and Canada.

CLI is available.  Free test calls. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

mg428, have you tried installing SIP_Voip Settings manager like http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/d476061e-90ca-42e9-b3ea-1a852f3808ec/SIP_VoIP_Settin... ?

I installed 3.x on my brand new E52 and I can use voip to make and receive calls with 3rd party Voip prodiver.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seron

That's very good news!

Could you please inform us of which provider you're using, and what settings you made in the Nokia VOIP settings software to enable it, and also if it works for you over both WiFi and 3G network. Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am using www.euteliavoip.com. I followed their italian documentation for an E61. Basically it is like the screencast nokia made (sorry i can't find the url).

I tried WiFi and AFAIK it works quite good, never tried 3G voip.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I don't own E52 and in fact never saw in person. Nonetheless I am interested in the applicability of VoIP in E52 because this would be a deal-breaker for me if I can't use VoIP.

Do you have a chance to try VoIP on your E52 through your local 3G network in order to understand whether it works with 3G? Because, from what I understand from the thread in symbianfreak, it works fine through WiFi but not 3G.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

AFAIK any S60 Nokia phone that has an 2.x or 3.x VoIP client, can make calls thru UMTS/HSDPA.

There are some issues:

- It's not available easily. You MUST download and install "SIP VoIP Settings", choose a profile, and enable "Allow VoIP over WCDMA"in Profile options.

- It's very unstable. RTP (protocol used in VoIP talking) is very sensitive to latency and doesn't tolerate packet loss easily, so if you're experiencing any (yes, any) packet loss, the voice degrades A LOT.

- You NEED to configure the vocoder.  By default, VoIP Client uses AMR, and then A-law/µ-law.  AMR is not widely supported in the VoIP PBX (for example, Asterisk doesn't support it), and *-law doesn't use compression at all.  VoIP client support other vocoders with less bandwidth.

- It's EXCELLENT in WLAN.  In my opinion, it's the best WLAN VoIP client I ever seen. I had a D-LINK DPH-541 WiFi phone, and this phone made me too much headaches.

There are third-party VoIP solutions.  I'm in doubt if could recommend it because all of the forces the voice traffic pass thru own servers. This is the case of Fring and Nimbuzz.  If you have WiFi in your office and you use any of them instead of using the native VoIP, all the traffic goes to Fring or Nimbuzz servers, and returns back to your server.  That's stupid. But... there's a reason why they had it: all of them works without problems in WCDMA (UMTS/HSDPA), and still works in EDGE networks!  They work because the Nimbuzz/Fring servers interfaces directly with your VoIP PBX via a reliable network.  Meanwhile, the connection between your phone and the Nimbuzz server is "cleaned" (using any vocoders/proprietary techniques), so the conversation is more stable.

I tried using Fring and native VoIP thru WCDMA.  I have an Asterisk running in a 1500/512 DSL connection, while the phone was in a UMTS/HSDPA unstable network.  Using the native VoIP it's impossible to maintain a conversation.  Instead, the Fring call, although had a noticeable delay (perhaps 400-500ms) the conversation was almost clean and understandable.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie to Nokia (but not to VOIP) and just got a new E52 yesterday. This thread confused me for hours. I thought it was saying SIP calls weren't going to work on the E52. Actually voip does work its just very consfusing to setup for beginners.

So I thought I'd post a couple of tips for others. 

First tip is, before doing anything you must have your Sip Profile in CtrlPanel->Settings->Connection->Sip Settings change from "Not registered" to "Registered" or else nothing will work. You don't need to install anything to do this. Just keep playing with the settings, check the password. I turned the phone on and off a few times as well. I use callcentric.com (they are great) and they had a good doc that helped me even though its for the E90. Eventually it says "Registered". 

Second tip, now you need to download Sip VOIP Settings 3.x. This app gives you an extra option in CtrlPanel->Net Settings called "Advanced VOIP settings". Use this to create a "VOIP service" and connect it to your SIP Profile. Then you can receive incoming calls AND make outgoing Internet calls from the address book.

Sorry, I haven't tried over 3G yet either, this is for Wifi.

Damon.
Message Edited by damonrand on 01-Sep-2009 08:04 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seron

I got some very interesting info from Guru who's active in the Whirlpool forum (link below). He's got voip working on his E52 both for incomming and outgoing call. For incomming he even has a dial-up number that's redirected to his voip line, so that it's possible to call him from any phone. In other words, it's working perfectly, for him, with no 3rd party software.

Now the instructions I got from him (which may overlap somewhat with some of the above posts):

1. Download SIP Voip Settings Tool(version 3.x from the dropdown) from Nokia.

2. Secondly there will be a new application called advanced voip settings in the net settings.

3. I think you know how to configure SIP Profiles in Nokia.

4. Once you are done configuring SIP Profiles then goto the advanced voip settings and add the SIP profile as a new service.

5. Once you have done all that then open up contacts and press the left navigation key..u will see the SIP service you configured. then there is an option to enable the service. Once you enable that you are done.

6. Now you should be able to make internet calls from e52.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seron

[ Edited ]

the Whirlpool E52 thread: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1196513&p=-1#bottom

Nokia SIP settings software: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/d476061e-90ca-42e9-b3ea-1a852f3808ec/SIP_VoIP_Settin...

Message Edited by seron on 01-Sep-2009 10:41 AM
Message Edited by seron on 01-Sep-2009 10:42 AM
Please use plain text.

e52 + sip is painful but in the end it works (for me with sipgate.de)

prerequisites: working wifi connection, no blocked ports (e.g. 5060)

the more easy part: sip over wifi

de: /Menü/Systemstrg./Netzeinst./Download -> sipgate

~en: /menu/system-settings/network-settings/download -> sipgate

activate by setting your credentials, now it should work

the more tricky part: sip over umts/3g

3g isn't activated for sip by default, trying it you get some 'authentication failure)

you have to enable sip over 3g by setting AWCDMA to ON

but... where? you have to download and install "SIP VoIP Settings"

/Menü/Systemstrg./Netzeinst./Advanced_VoIP_settings -> VoIP_services -> Sipgate -> Profile settings -> AWCDMA = On

have fun

Please use plain text.