Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Ovi Maps 3.3 and Compass Enabled Phones.

Counsellor
cjdelphi
Accepted Solution

Ovi Maps 3.3 and Compass Enabled Phones.

I made the mistake of *upgrading* on the 6710.....

Bug 1. IT makes a horrible beeping noise after a while, sounds distorted.

Bug 2. Maybe not a bug, but how do you put in an address to someones house?... Still wondering probably awakwardly 

now.

Compass Support on Ovi Maps 3.3 where has it gone?.... 6210, 6710, N97, and all the other Navigator Editions with compass support, it's gone vanished, now i have issues tracking down the old version to install.

btw. i spent 25 minutes on the phone to nokia care, and it took me 12 calls to get through after the first 3 telephone numbers i got given has been disconnected.

been a lousy day for me dealing with Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

Hi, assuming you mean the new version with navigation, if you select my location, there should be a couple of little cogs in bottom left corner, next to that is a little circle with an arrow on it, tap circle it should go red, move phone in figure of 8 for about 10 secs to caliberate and turn red to green, compass now works. To find a place  use search bottom right. Don't know about noise, but just discovered old version of maps still on my phone so deleted and seems quicker now and gained space on C.

Good Luck

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cjdelphi

Re: Ovi Maps 3.03 and Compass Enabled Phones.

I mean the very latest version which is supposedly "free", the one released yesterday... I can't click on the compass, because it's not a touch sensitive phone. 

V 3.03

V3 has the option to enable/disable compass, the new one, 3.03 has no compass... the distorted beep noise happens when you tell it to actually go somewhere, either by foot or by car, now by foot, the compass should kick in, but there is absolutely no compass support.

I'm going to install 3.0 again when i find it. Nokia's website actually stated the nokia 6710 as being compatible, what a lie.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Not sure if this might work in your case, but I found out the solution to the same problem for my E72 with the new Ovi Maps 3.03.

Press '5' (not sure what's the equivalent for touchscreen versions though) to turn on the compass (press 5 again to turn it off).  Now press '0' to get to "My Position'.  Calibration your phone by waving the phone. The compass indicator should turn from white->red->yellow-green and should now be working.

Press '9' to see the keypad shortcuts when in map mode. 

========

Kindly press "Kudos" button if you find this helpful. :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cjdelphi

5 did the trick it enables the compas (nice undocumented feature too i bet lol)

anyway, for your next trick, enter in an address to go to, when it starts to navigate, listen to the beep noises, they become distorted, i have a feeling it's got something to do with the text to speech engine module i downloaded (uk maps text to speech voice) maybe the two are related, i really could not be bothered after spending 30minutes just on call waiting to nokia yesterday and another 20 minutes telling them all the problems.

E72 might be my next choice, very similar in spec to the 6710 but hopefully with less problems  they being.

1. dust gets under the screen

2. when recording a video it will reboot on you every now and then

3. the zoom bar zooms in and out when it gets warm (luckily the E72 does not have it)

but other than that they share the same CPU, same compas, same wifi/gps, the only things that are really different are the style, the E72 lacks video out and the 6710 has the video out, both record VGA 30fps..

But please tell me, does the E72 have many issues if i'm forced to get a new handset, how does the E72 stand?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cjdelphi

Sorry 15fps @ vga
Please use plain text.

What was the solution to Bug No.2?  I haven't figured out how to enter a street address as a destination in the upgraded software.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
EskeRahn

[ Edited ]

Talking about odd features and keyboard short cuts...

On the "N97 mini" The '5'  (or T) reacts somewhat different!

• The T/B goes into 3D-mode, and changes the Tilt-angle.
  • The F/H rotates the map (when the compass is calibrated/activated, this doesn't really make sense)
  • The Arrow-keys move the map
  • Th U/J zooms in/out
  • Shift-key/BackSpace also zooms in/out
  • Space-key center map on current position
  • Enter-key gives short menu, similar to clicking the map.
(Creative use of the shift-key...)
Message Edited by EskeRahn on 26-Jan-2010 12:26 PM
Message Edited by EskeRahn on 26-Jan-2010 12:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
lilhaiti

For the entering address issue.  I have a 5800 so I don't know if there is any difference in the touch screen version and the non-touch versions, but I usually enter addresses into the Search under "Set Destination".  This usually works for me, but it would be nice to have a dedicated "Enter Address" feature.   
Please use plain text.
Contributor
warwick27au

can anyone get the search feature to work OFFLINE? I have the latest ovi 3.3 maps, downloaded the specific map for Australia, latest firmware on the phone, nothing! useless the previous version of maps worked fine offline

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
EskeRahn

[ Edited ]

Reply to warwick27au:

Well it works fine for me.

In the menu: Tab the settings wrench>Internet>Connection>Offline

The try the "Find places"

Both name-search and browse catergories works just fine.

Are you SURE that you have actually downloaded the needed maps, ons not just the application?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
warwick27au

i think i have, i used map loader and downloaded, how can i tell?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
EskeRahn

Huh... I'm not quite sure.

But I THINK you can find it reflected under

\cities\diskcache\ClientIndex

(at first disk attached as "mass storage" to a pc)

Here I have a number of european countries as three letter abreviations (GBR, FRA... et cetera)

(The title of the directory, and the fact that each country-dir contains three files named "City.*" indicates that this are not the actual maps, but city-information, but I think you cant have one without the other, so this should give the information, I guess)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
EskeRahn

PS

....You might try to simply remove all maps with "Delete maps from storage" button, and try to reload them.

Actualy the map loader itself recommends to remove all maps before downloading new ones.

It is rather odd, that the map-loader doesn't display the currently installed maps and voices.

I do not know, if there are any way to delete specific maps (or voices) once loaded.

The voices can be checked in the maps application though, they appear with a phone icon next to them if they are installed. But with no delete/unload option...

:-)

Please use plain text.
Sage

Not sure how to delete maps and voice guidance files. However, if you use Ovi Suite's built-in Map Loader, it does show the maps that you've already previously downloaded onto the phone. I think the stand-alone Nokia Map Loader doesn't have this feature though, which is why I often use Ovi Suite's built-in Map Loader to loads maps instead of the stand-alone Nokia Map Loader (which is also used by Nokia PC Suite, I think)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
zoro06

when i use the stanalone nokia map loader, it asks me to delete old maps if they were old , it happened to me twice

-you can show appreciation to my posts if it helped or useful by pressing the green Kudo star beside my post that hepled :smileyhappy:
-if my answer was the solution , so click accept as solution button
Started From Nokia 3310 , Now with Nokia N97 v.22.0.110 + N900 PR1.2
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
EskeRahn

[ Edited ]

Just tried to deinstall the old versions of the control software and install OVI suite instead.

And yes, you can see what maps and voices are installed. And as far as I can find, you can't uninstall partwise.

I tried the "delete all", and it took REMARKABLE long time?!?!?!?! (over 15 min)

Please note in this version you MUST use drag and drop to take a whole region to the phone, or you can select and click download  one country at a time. The standard way to select multiple items on a list with Shift and Ctrl is NOT supported. So if I want say half of Europe, I must take each country one at a time, and that is a SLOW proccess!! Even a small country like Denmark took MINUTES to put on the phone!! :-(  So I took all Europe... then at least it can download it unattended....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
EskeRahn

Please note a minor bug / an oddity:

If you install a country within a region (e.g. Europe), and then install the whole region afterwards, it will NOT detect this and overwrite the single country, but will have it double, so to save space, make sure not to make this mistake.

Please use plain text.
Baw737

I was originally disappointed with V3.3 when upgrading from 3.01 but the one thing I have been unable to do is get it to use Imperial units instead of Metric, even though Imperial is selected in Menu>Settings>Settings>>General>Positioning>Notation preferences>Measurement system.

Is there any other way to change it?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

reply to baw737

after you clicked map

press option -> setting -> maps -> system of measurement

hope that would help.

Please use plain text.