Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: PC suite problem

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

PC suite problem

The Nokia pc suite does not recognize my phone. Can someone help me explain why please?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Please elaborate. More details, like what model is your phone, PC Suite version, did you select PC suite on your phone? Does your PC detect the phone at all? What error message are you getting?

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nadine_O

I too am having problems with my N97 Mini not connecting to PC suite, I have connected via usb, selected PC Suite, tried all manner of combinations to try to allow connection (plug in first, open PC Suite first etc) and have searched extensively for suggestions on forums and other internet resources.

There are no error codes, PC Suite states that the phone is connected in an incompatible manner, the phone is set to PC Suite mode.

It is only 2 weeks old and did originally connect to PC Suite.

In line with the advice from the store I purchased it from I have updated all software for PC and Phone.

I have reached the end of my technical knowledge, please help!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Download PC Suite Cleaner 7.1.1

Run it to clean all instances of Nokia PC Suite in your System (make sure you dont have OVi installed). Reboot your system then download the latest PC Suite and install.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Okay sorry about that.
Model is Nokia N86, I have the latest version of Ovi and yes, PC suite is detected.
It seems that there is an issue with the phone because no noise is made when the cable is connected to the phone. The phone doesnt ask what type of connection it should make it (as it use to do)
So the PC does not detect the phone.
BUT, if I changed the connection to Mass Storage, the PC automactically detects the phone...and as soon as I switch it back to PC storage the PC asks as if I disconnected the connection.

Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

livethinme, On the phone check under Settings/Connectivity/USB/Ask on connection and see if it says yes of no. If no it will not ask the type of USB connection the next time you connect your phone. You probably for the time being, until the dust is settled, want yes.

As for the PC not finding the phone in PC Suite mode. In the PC Suite under Settings/Manage Connections make sure that USB cable is selected. But you probably already have. 

Make sure furthermore (using task manager) that a process ServiceLayer (C:/Program Files/PC Connectivity Solution/ServiceLayer.exe) is running. I believe this the part that actually connects to the USB port. But I see that it will start along with starting the suite.

In mass storage mode the phone is just a transparent USB hub and card reader that works without PC-, Ovi-, or dinner Suite. For instance on a suite-less GNU-Linux workstation.

Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

and ah, one other thing. For the PC Suite to "find" the attached telephone could take a while. A while meaning not idly sit and wait but more like the go over to house bar, fix your self a drink, flick on the TV, take in a movie sort of wait. Patience, young grasshopper. Not sure what it does all this time. I seems not to matter to first open PC suite and than attach the phone or the other way around. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Uhm, your phone drivers may still be installing. Takes like around 5-10min (could be more) depending on phone and PC speeds.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Guys its working now!...I dont know how it happened, I just connected it..and now it works...very strange. But thanks!

Please use plain text.