Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Phone dialing itself

Contributor

Phone dialing itself

Hello,

I am using 5800 XM. I just found out that my cell phone is dialing itself out in data type. It dials in the sequence of 22, 922 and 822. I notice it because it was making the same sound as if i dial to a number that is unreachable. When i check the call log, and thats how i found out the string of the data call. My cell phone did that whole string of data calls for three times. Anyone knows what causes that? Is it possible virus?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Re: Phone dialing itself

You have no virus because there are virtually no viruses for the S60 platform, and you'd have to have allowed one to be activated if one did turn up - they can't install themselves without your consent as they can in Windows.

Firstly, could it be as simple as you don't have the automatic lock on so the screen is being touched?

Otherwise, check Packet Data settings under Connectivity - make sure that your packet data connection is set to 'when needed' rather than 'when available'.

Also check if any apps are running in the background - hold down the menu key and a list of running apps will be shown, perhaps a piece of software that you are using is accessing the internet?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have not seen the self dialing behaviour since i posted this question. Anyway, i went back home and check every settings you have mentioned and make sure everything is ok. I'll keep my eye on this behaviour.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

Have same problem, on nokia 6500slide, when my phone is connected to computer via bluetooth, it dials these numbers (22 922 822).

i use pc suit 7.1.18.0

phone is nokia 6500s-1 v09.60 21-11-08 RM-240

Message Edited by panzer21 on 14-Apr-2009 10:31 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

If it's happening when it's connected to a PC by bluetooth, then the PC is probably trying to create a dial-up internet connection through the phone. Check the bluetooth settings on your PC.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Oh yes, i was connected to the PC with bluetooth.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Anyone have a resolution for this problem? I´ve searched all the related settings that have to do with dialup settings via nokia/bluetooth, but cant find any referrence to the numbers 22, 822, or 922. When I remove the nokia from the dial up devices, the problem seems to go away, but when I start the computer again Vista automatically installs the nokia bluetooth modem again and the problem comes back. Very annoying.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

It's a problem on the PC's end. Those codes tell the phone to use a packet data connection instead of a real dial-up modem connection. You need to set up your PC not to automatically dial out to that connection.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi and thanks for Your advice. Too bad there is no such setting, as "allow automatic connection" or such. Cannot find any setting, that either enables or disables the use of the connection. The laptop / Vista seems to know what´s best for me and doesn´t allow me to choose myself.

The connection is located in "network connections" named "Nokia 7390 Bluetooth modem (OTA)" and going thru it´s properties does not give a choice to use or not to use, only how to use. Now I´ve randomly changed some settings in the connection, we´ll see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

I'll play around with my own Vista machine tonight, then, and see if I can find a setting to disable the Bluetooth connection or stop Windows using it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

In your phone's bluetooth settings there's probably something that designates the computer as an authorized, paired device.

Revoke that authorization or delete the pairing altogether. OK, you'll be asked if you want to authorize the connection each time but at least the phone won't be dialling out and racking up a bill.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi and thanks for Your post. The issue here is, that I do want the laptop and Nokia to communicat via bluetooth, the calendar etc. are automatically syncronized and so on. I want these two to communicate, but don´t want the phone dialing automatically.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

In that case you need to go into the laptop's internet settings (available through the control panel) and tell it not to dial out automatically if no network connection is available.

I don't use Windows myself so I can't be more specific than that.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi and thanks again for Your advice. I´ve allready adressed to this in my earlier post. The problem, actually, is exactly that I can´t find a way to disable the automatic dilaling from the settings =)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I just fired up my partner's laptop (but running XP not Vista). On XP this is what you need to do - maybe it'll be similar on Vista.

Go into the control panel and into your Internet options.

Click on the "Connections" tab. You'll see a list of DUNs defined. Below that list there are radio buttons trhat define the machine's behaviour if it needs a network connection and none is available. Select "Never dial a connection". From now on, if you need to connect to the internet you dial up manually first.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i try your solution but i already configured to not dialing...

Do someone found a solve to this nag problem ????

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi, I have the same issue with my 5800 phone. I had it on XP, then moved to Win7 and the issue remained.

Anyone know how to solve?

thx a lot, Alex

Please use plain text.
JosDi

[ Edited ]

Thanks, we had the same problem on a Nokia 6300 with Bluetooth connection dialing spontaneously the numbers 22 822 922

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Ghost618

Hi JosDi,

We have edited your post. It is unwise to post personal information such as full name, mobile/telephone number(s), IMEI, e-mail address here in the discussion board.

Please be also advised that posting of links not related to Nokia is forbidden here in the discussion board.

Have a nice day ahead!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
astrit

Did you try to remove your device from Dial-up networking service tab, by right clicking on Bluetooth icon on system tray and selecting Open Bluetooth Settings?

Please use plain text.