Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Phone switched off and won't boot again

Sage
LarsErik

Phone switched off and won't boot again

My N8 with Belle update suddenly switched itself off. And when I start it again the "progress dots" animates for a while, then stops. This happends 3 times, and then the phone switches off again. Have tried resetting by holding down the power button until 3 vibrations. Didn't help. Any idea? Why is this happening (have used Belle for a while now without any reboot).
--
Lars-Erik Østerud - http://www.osterud.name/nokia.html
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Try starting your phone with the sim card and memory card removed and see if that helps. Also make sure the battery isn't flat. If holding the power button reboot does not help the only other option you can try is to hard reset the phone. However, this means you will lose everything on your phone unless you have a previous backup. 

To hard rreset your phone, press and hold “Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key” and press power button until your phone vibrates.

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

Hard resetting doesn't apeal to be right know. Then I will have to pay for lots of my apps even one more time :-( I have no memory card (only the build in one that can't be removed). What could cause such a crash? I guess the problem that made it switch off the first time is the same that makes it shutdown at the end of the boot process.
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

You should be able to reinstall all the paid apps from Ovi Store. 

Crashes can be caused by anything, hardware fault, data corruption, faulty sim etc. etc. So it would be pure speculation at this stage.

You could try your local Nokia Care Point but one of of the first thing they try is the hard reset so you will lose your data anyway. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

Well. I have reset my phone once before (unstable). And upgraded to Belle. Both times I had to reinstall apps. And each time some app stated that "maximum number of download reached". And I had to pay again (you can only download apps 3 or 4 times I think). But the main question is why it shut down and got into this endless reboot loop. If it is the Belle upgrade (never happend before) then what? If I hard reset the phone, will it revert to the initial OS? Or will it reinstall as clean Belle? Or Anna?
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

The hard reset will not roll back firmware updates so your phone will remain on Belle. The Hard Reset should result in a clean Belle. You mentioned reboot loop. Did you check the sim?

Regarding reinstalling apps from Ovi Store. You can contact Nokia Care if you have problems.

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

Removed SIM. No change. Doesn't even get to the animated Nokia screen (the handshake). It displays white NOKIA on black screen. Then the five dots that are animated. After a long while they freeze a while. Then the screen blinks. And the animated dots start over (guess it's trying once more). This happends 3 times. Then nothing (phone shuts down). I have a clock-alarm every morning. Wonder what happends tomorrow. Clock alarms should work when phone is switched off right? And ask if you want to turn it on?
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The alarm normally works even when the phone is powered off. Unfortunately sounds like your only option are the hard reset or the care point

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

WIll the hard reset wipe both C: and E: drives on the phone? (the Belle upgrade only wiped C: as far as I know). If it wipes E: I have to download all maps and restore all my images and music too :-( Why does things like this happend :-( Arrggg. Why did I install that Belle update. Only had trouble after that :-(
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Only wipes the c: drive. 

Unfortunately unforeseen things do happen during updates which is why you are reminded to backup your data beforehand. 

Mind you, personally I usually hard reset and reformat my phones just before updating anyway. I believe this is the only way to get a very clean update.

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

But the backup is no use anyway. It doesn't backup applications on c: drive. And not paid/licensed application on the e: drive either. (imagine a PC backup that doesn't backup "Program Files" :-) I just afraid that this will happend again (I sat up a whole night to reinstall things after the Belle update, and now it seems like I get another sleepless nigth, never happend with "Anna").
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

LarsErik wrote:
WIll the hard reset wipe both C: and E: drives on the phone?

If you are talking about a 3 key depressed power on "hard reset" it will delete all user data from C:\ & E:\ including wallpapers, media & maps provided with device. Nokia Care Point can always restore media content although may charge for this, as you are warned not to carry this out upon Symbian S^3 device and entails installing about 1.3GB of files to device.

You can download paid applications a total of 10 times from Nokia Store although applications bought in the past have a horrid habit of being pulled from the store by developers!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

Could you detail that a bit more? Exacly what do I have to reinstall in addition to all the apps, maps, images and music files? Are there parts of the operating system that is not reinstalled? Are these parts downloadable, or will I get into some problems? How can the Nokia care center charge me for this? My phone is still under warranty here in Norway, and I have upgraded as Nokia told us. So I don't think this is my fault. Anyway, what can cause a phone to crash and shutdown suddenly? I sat there looking at the first start-screen and it suddenly shut down! A good OS should have some protection against that ("last known good config" etc). To make sure it was able to boot up again after such an error. And on top of that the E: drive N8 is not a card. So you can't take it out and read/write it on a card reader. (and USB mass storage mode is not available until the phone starts).
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@LarsErik

Here is appropriate Nokia resource for formatting device:http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/n8-00/faq#06

Historically hard reset upon Symbian S^3 can cause issues with launching Nokia Store although should now be resolved. I am sure that only Care Point obligation is to provide working device and if you have deleted Belle "wallpapers" for example I doubt that this is covered and map user data can easily be re-downloaded by user anyway.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Oops! My mistake. The hard reset does wipe the E: but not the F: drive. I absentmindedly forgot the N8 has both mass storage and memory card.

The hard reset will return the phone to its out of the box state. A backup, if there is one, can be used to restore data. I presume you did backup your phone as advised before updating. You should be able to use the same backup now.

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

But in the thread at the top Nokia warns about the "hard reset" saying that several things will be lost (like Maps, Store and preinstalled widgets). Is this tru for Belle too? If it is and I try the "hard reset" and then have to go to Nokia service anyone to installed something then my warranty is gone right? Should I then let the Nokia service center do the "hard reset" so they can restore things? I do have backup from before updating to Belle (both a manual and the automatic one).
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Hard reset does not invalidate your warranty but if you are more uncomfortable doing it yourself then a Nokia Care Point would be your best bet. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

But what is erase that I cannot restore myself doing a "hard reset"? If the clock widget and the e-mail widget is gone I have a huge problem. All other things can be reinstalled, but I don't now anywhere to download those. But still the mail thing I'm afraid of is - will this happend again all the time (phone not booting). If I'm going to live "in fear" of my phone suddenly switching off and not booting again, then :-( Is there any way to boot the phone in something like "safe mode"? There's got to be a reason why it crashes just before asking for the PIN-code.
--
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

The hard reset will return the phone to its out of the box state. Any widgets which are part of Belle will remain. Any widgets you installed yourself will be lost but you should be able to download and reinstall them from the same source as previously. 

There is no "safe mode" in symbian. It probably did crash for a reason but it is impossible to tell what the reason might be. Most care points will probably not bother finding out either. They will probably just reset or reflash your phone. If that does not work then it is probably hardware.

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

Now I tried holding "Vol Down + Camera + Menu + Power". First I got one vibration and the "Nokia" logo appeared". Kept pressing and then I got 3 vibrations. Same that happends when I hold down just the "Power" button for 8 secs. And it still doesn't boot. What am I doing wrong? Should I only hold them to the first vibration, or the the 3 vibrations? Should the phone be on or off (trying to boot) when holding the buttons? Or????
--
Please use plain text.