Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Poor Battery Life of my Nokia X6 16GB

venuremas59
Accepted Solution

Poor Battery Life of my Nokia X6 16GB

Generally it is claimed X6 16GB standby time is 420 Hrs.  Mine is hardly lasts 120 Hrs.  I dont use much and kept kept all power saving options ON.  Can anybody suggest remedy to improve its battery life ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

120 hours is still very good. The figures most manufacturers quote are usually based on the absolute maximum and on ideal conditions that are rarely re-creatable in real life.

For example to get 420 hours the phone would need to be in a perfect strong signal area, probably outdoors or near a window, not used or moved in any way shape or form and all features such as bluetooth, wi-fi, always on data disabled.

Obviously people like to actually use their phones so the figures quoted are unrealistic.  Things like a low signal or switching between 2G and 3G can cause significant battery drain as does using the screen.

The average normal battery life for a lightly used X6 is around 3-5days (72-120 hours) so yours is behaving normally.

If you are unhappy about the way that nokia quotes it's battery life figures us the "contact us" link near the top of the page to lodge a complaint.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jay_parker

Use the following guidelines to increase your battery life time:

• Features that use Bluetooth technology, or allowing such features to run in the background while using other features, increase the demand on battery power. Turn Bluetooth technology off when you do not need it.
  • Features that use Wireless LAN (WLAN), or allowing such features to run in the background while using other features, increase the demand on battery power. WLAN on your Nokia device switches off when you are not trying to connect, not connected to an access point, or not scanning for available networks. To further reduce battery consumption, you can specify that your device does not scan, or scans less often, for available networks in the background (to turn off scanning, disable Show WLAN availability in Wireless LAN settings).
  • If you have set Packet data connection to When available in connection settings, and there is no packet data coverage (GPRS), the device periodically tries to establish a packet data connection. To prolong the operating time of your device, select Packet data connection > When needed.
  • The Maps application downloads new map information when you scroll to new areas on the map, which increases the demand on battery power. You can prevent the automatic download of new maps.
  • If the signal strength of the cellular network varies much in your area, your device must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power.  If the Network mode is set to dual mode in the network settings, the device searches for the UMTS network. To use only the GSM network, select Network mode > GSM
  • The backlight of the display increases the demand on battery power. In the display settings, you can change the time-out after which the backlight is switched off, and adjust the light sensor that observes lighting conditions and adjusts the display brightness.
  • Leaving applications running in the background increases the demand on battery power. Close application you do not use.

If the battery loses the power fast even though there is no features consuming the power, the battery may be wearing out and you need to replace it with a new one. The battery lifetime is typically around two years in normal use.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Masky

My X6 is connecting to my hse wifi automatically in the background. I did follow your quick guide, but it is still connecting by itself.

How to disable this & set it to connecting to wifi when needed only ?

rgds.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Go to settings>Connectivity>Wireless Lan. Tap on wireless Lan and when the WLAN Wizard opens it should show networks in range. Tap on options>settings and change show WLAN availability to never. I have mine set to never but I can still connect to the network with this setting. Try it and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Masky

Thks baz, that solved t !
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bounceoffawall

internet problem

hey, i have the same problem with my WLAN scanning automatically, ive even put it to never scan and it still does. Also when i want to connect to facebook etc from my WAP it says internet timed out See if i restore my factory setting would any pictures etc be deleted Xx
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
gravityx

i bought my x6 16gb last month, but the battery does not stand for a day even without usage, all the settings are off and even though the phone is seldom used to make call the charge goes down rapidly. after a full charge all the battery blocks are lit up and wait for a day without usage and then the next day when you unlock it there would be just one bar in the battery remaining or the phone would be switched off because of lack of battery charge. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Vernonpolowski

I got my x6 2 months ago all was fine until yesterday.my battery was on 1bar so I charged it no prolem when I went checked it last night back to 1bar I had no apps open everything off so no reason to loose it that quickly. Charged it again and lost power within 6 hours. same again phone now dead What is going on???
Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

You may have a faulty battery. Can you take it to a Nokia Care Point to get the battery checked. Or perhaps the place you bought it from might be able to check it.

Have  you installed a program that might be accessing the internet on a regular basis. eg an email application or some other application that uses the internet. Check all your settings.

Do you have nokia messaging or something similar installed. The more info you can provide the better. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sael

[ Edited ]

I got my X6 16 GB not 10 days ago. Battery time is really lousy. I have FW 21.0.4, the phone came with it, so I don't know how it was on previous versions. I will summarize my day today, which was relatively slow:

I got up this morning and the phone was off, because I left a game running on it and fell asleep so the batt discharged fully. That's ok, I plug the charger in. It charges for 2 hours to the max.

It's around 10 AM now and I use some WiFi for about 20 minutes to get some infos via Opera Mobile 10.0. I shut down everything. Next, around 1 PM I use GPS & Garmin XT 5 to find a specific address and to calculate a route, but no traveling . That was 10 minutes tops. Again, I shut down all the apps. 2 SMS received, 2 sent. 1 voice call, ~3 minutes. 30-40 minutes of waiting, so i fire up Gears (game). 3 times Wifi searching/sniffing, no connections made. Now it's 11 PM, battery is down to one bar, 14% acc. to Device Status. That's almost a full 1320 mAh battery drained in 14-15 hours.

My settings: screen illumination is at the lowest possible setting: 3G is offline, GSM only, signal strength is excellent, mostly 100%: no running apps in the bckgrnd: BT is off, Wlan is off (when not using it). As I said, the phone is 10 days old, life counter was zeros-only (this can be changed, sure, but I highly doubt the store dabble in such stuff). A firend of mine has a 5800XM for almost 2 years now, which is basically the same phone (apart from capacitive screen, camera res and integrated memory) and his battery lasts far better, always has.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Are you sure you have closed all apps and that bthey are not still running in the background. You can doe this by pressing and holding the menu button. A menu will pop up showing a list off all open applications. Are you sure BT, wifi and your maps application (including Garmin XT 5) are closed as these are battery drainers. In the settings>connectivity make sure bluetooth and wifi are off. Also check that your games are closed down properly. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
bazyeo

Further to my above post go to the post by jay_parker (3rd post on this topic) and folow the instructions on that post.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sael

[ Edited ]

I don't wish to repeat myself. I said everything was shut down after the use and it was. I checked with RAMblow for running apps, which I also shut down afterwards, not just hid it. I believe I also wrote in my previous post that I didn't leave no BT or WLAN or GPS running in the background or anything else for that matter. This was just basic, vital OS daemons running for the most part of the day with the lowest screen illumination setting. I do have well over 2 years of exp. with Symbian 9.x and I didn't rush to the board with this issue. In 10 days, the phone had 15 charges, at minimum.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tarini185

i got my x6 16 gb one week back n it battery life is very poor, it doesnt even stand for 24 hrs, my previous n 73 had awesome battery life.. i ve reduced back light, close up all applications on time, but still it doesnt come up to expectations as 420 hrs. feel terrible.. any suggestions.dpo help

Please use plain text.
Sage
chandana99

@tarini185

cheers

PS: if this information  is helpfull please click white star on green background

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

tarini185 wrote:

i got my x6 16 gb one week back n it battery life is very poor, it doesnt even stand for 24 hrs, my previous n 73 had awesome battery life.. i ve reduced back light, close up all applications on time, but still it doesnt come up to expectations as 420 hrs. feel terrible.. any suggestions.dpo help

Even after following all the suggestions you will never be even close to 420hrs. Pl. read psychomania's post (second from top..) .. Its similar to what the Automobile Manufacturer's say about the milage.. You can never achieve that in day to day driving...

Also note that the battery genarally stabilizes after 6 to 8 chargings. So even after that many chargings your battery lasts about 24 hrs. only ( which is a bit low with normal usage.) I suggest you to take it to the Nokia Care..

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bprasenjit30

my new nokia x6 battery doesn't last for even 5hrs while i listen to music which i guess is supposed be 32 hrs and while it is connected via gprs that gets down to 3-4hrs  what should i do please suggest

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
DJTown96

venuremas59 wrote:

Generally it is claimed X6 16GB standby time is 420 Hrs.  Mine is hardly lasts 120 Hrs.  I dont use much and kept kept all power saving options ON.  Can anybody suggest remedy to improve its battery life ?

I have bad battery problems too especially today my battery emptied with nothing running in about 6 hours so I am now trying ending the packet data connection and keeping it off, you can end the connection by holding the call end button it might work so you might want to try it

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
moiz_01

[ Edited ]

heyy..
Thanks alot for your help.
but i am having problem with jus one of the given solutions.
my network mode either shows UMTS or dual. it doesnt show GSM.
how is that so? :smileyfrustrated:
can u please guide me. 
my email address : 
Moderators note:
"We would like to inform you that we have removed your e-mail address as it is inappropriate to publish personal contact information on a public web forum." 
Please use plain text.