Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: OVI SYNC PROBLEMS

Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: Post your ANN. bugs here

glad to be of help :smileyhappy: and happy to hear that this worked out for you. be well, rad. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Contributor

28 pages of bugs tells me the best thing I ever did was to return the N97.

My inital thought process was to bypass the iPhone and get the N97, that was the worse move I ever made.  Apple may not be perfect ( far from it ), but reports suggest the iPhone is light years ahead of the N97 in the bug and working states.

At least you can get a signal to talk to people.

In 6 months time the N97 will be on version 99 software and in the bargain box at Tescos ( next to the out of date meat ).

Please use plain text.
Sage

It's not. Your mind is the only thing that leads you to believe that the iPhone is better which, if you spend sometime with one, it's not. I had posted on here a review of the so-called 'new' Iphone and it was so lame it was pathetic. The only thing that is has going for it is how it looks- the screen is so much clearer and brighter than the N97 and, the integration of the entire phone and apps is very well done. But, that's where it stops. All those ads on TV- that's nothing but BS. When you can't even get a MMS message due to Apple not allowing images to display in the MMS message, you have to enter a hexadecimal number into a web site to view the image. Five steps later you can see the pic someone sent you. My brother has one and all MMS messages are missed as he can't bother with that system. It's a PITA. Secondly, that device - even the new one is not w/o issue. When I went in to try one and compared it to my N97, it's screen locked up when rotating. Also, their keyboard sucks. They didn't even include a period in the qwerty for Christ sakes. You either have to go to another sub menu, or you have to double tap the space bar just to enter in punctuation marks. It's a damn joke man. ALl that does is slow the work flow down.

When you need to take a pic, it's ten clicks just to take it, and more to email it. It's slow, and a pain to work with. Plus, when I need it on the desk in front of me so I can see it while I am working, It doesn't sit flat due to the curved back and, the screen has no tilt up menu. Never mind trying to type on it while it is on the desk- forget about it.

Now, you talk about bad call quality - well, the iPhone is the KING of dropped calls due to some **bleep** up there who put the cheapest radio and antenna in that thing. My N97 is so much better at pulling in signal reception than any iPhone user that I know of. Tons of dropped calls, freezing browser- safari that is. Oh, speaking of S4, I did a simple test of my N97 to S4 using Opera mini. I input the same web address and hit enter into both devices and Opera pulled the site in faster. Here's the kicker, I am not running in 3G mode as I am on T-mo and they don't support 3G but rather GSM only so, chalk that up to another lame TV add.

GO and use an iPhone. Spend time using it like I did and compare the two side by side for workflow- the N97 burries it. Do you know what? They keep Safari running at all times along with other apps just to make them open faster. THen people wonder why their bat life sucks. Speaking of that, that damn thing only has around 4-5 hours talk time vs. what we get. THat's not a lot. They advertise way longer than that- in fact, they advertise that they get 10 hours- same as the N97. Just to compete on paper. But, real world tests show that it doesn't come anywhere near that. It's all a bunch of BS with the iPhone. Plus, some apps can't be used as it's locked out at the app store. Then, you have another issue where you have to run it on AT&T unless your jailbreak and hack it to run on another network which, lots of folks do just that. The plan, the contract and the device suck- period. It's a huge rip-off. Like I said, it only looks good- that's about it. Wait till you try one out for hours on end and go to make a call while trying to surf- good luck.

Talk about working states- here's one for you to think about. I was at a company Christmas party and this gal had one. She told me it locked up on her while receiving an incoming call. She was on a call, got another, hit the other call and it froze up. For days it was like this she said. She took it to the store and they could not reset it as it was hung up that bad and, since the bat is NOT removable, they told her she would have to let it drain down and then recharge and it should be ok! Who wants to deal with that? NO phone vs. pulling a battery out to reset it? Come on, that is a joke and **bleep** me off that they keep the thing active at all times. Oh, speaking of that, here's another one: Apple has a kill switch, that, if your caught hacking it, they can simply SHUT YOU OFF over the air - OTA- dead. That's it. THey control what you do with your device- not you. You want to hack it to run other apps that they DON"T allow- forget it. Unless your really into it and remove the killswitch scripts. But, you have to know what your doing in order to do so. IT's all about complete control- use their device, on their expensive plans, use their apps and only the apps that they approve of vs. the one that YOU, the end user prefers to use is all about control of how you use their device. It's not really - your device but, their iPhone at that point. THen, last but not least- here's the really topper of them all: half of those features DO NOT work on other network towers other than AT&T> so, if your roaming or using a shared network, good luck getting Mobile me to get your emails- or surf the web for directions when your lost, use the GPS when your lost as last time I used one, it only allowed those functions to run on AT&T only. When roaming, the only thing that does work is the phone- if you can get reception on that POS radio that they ripped off from LGs' low end devices.

When you want to take a pic and send it VIA email or MMS it or BT on the N97, open, aim, shoot- send; choose option- done. That's how easy it is to use. How about multi tasking? No can do on the iClown. Not happening. On my N97 I am on the phone, taking down notes, adding an entry to my Cal then setting the alarm for that entry to, switching back to email to mail someone else the time and meeting place. YOu can't do any of that on the iPhone. You can only do one thing at a time. On the N97, you can tab around to all your open apps with ease and speed.

More than half the apps at the app store are complete junk- and they charge for that junk as well. So, to me, there's no benefit over Nokia other than a much better screen, much better scrolling, touch response, GUI clarity and integration with apps in general- especially the GPS client- that works pretty darn good and is fully integrated with S4 too which makes it easy to just simply get directions from within the browser.

Now, in your case, it sounds like all you need to update to the latest FW, do a backup, then reformat all your memory followed by a hard reset (*#7370#) and finally using PC suite to restore your contacts, pics, music etc. Then it should be working fine for you. Prior to the update, I too had no signal. I would have to reboot just to refresh it. Not anymore. It's all about hte software. Everything is controlled by software so, if it's hosed up, the entire device fails to work properly.
Please use plain text.

To cmcken1

Dude are you serious? Talk about over exaggerating. 10 clicks to take a photo? Only takes 2 sunshine. 3 if the phone is locked. And what are you talking about with the MMS? I've never heard of that crazy process. Pictures just rock up in my inbox. My iPhone RARELY locks up. And if it does, it sorts itself out and comes back.

How hard is it to double tap the space bar? It's actually faster than if a period button was on the same screen because rather than hitting the period, then the space button....you just hit the space button...twice. Not exactly "a damn joke". 

I had an N97. It's a peice of s**t. I went back to my iPhone and I haven't looked back.

In my experience, the iPhone (and I'm referring to my 3G) is more responsive than the N97.

I do agree on SOME of your points (eg multitasking,  GPS needs improving), but most of what you just said is completely inaccurate.

Sit down, shut up. If the iPhone really sucked as much as you think, why is it so successful?

Oh yeah...Apps....there are lot of useless App's, but there are LOTS of practical ones too. It's not hard to find the ones you want, and even easier to ignore the ones you don't. 

There are three things I love about the N97. The physical keyboard, the high res screen, and the 5 megapixel camera. It's a pity that the lense gets scratched by it's own cover though. That shortens that list down to 2 things.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
haritia

I agree with ercanmetin above. Screw the 32G storage and especially make it so that one can take out the damn card witout having to remove the battery cover. it worked well for the N95 and the N82 why did they have to change?

Give us 1G of RAM (haha) and 1G of drive C:. Allow for all caching and temporary file locations to be user configurable and that will make me happy. Throw in a 32GB MicroSDHC card and it's the same thing.

To solve the current situation, the next firmware upgrade should at least allow the user to point the temp and cache directories to be in a different location.

Oh well, one can hope.

Does anyone know if any authorized nokia personnel actually reads these threads/forums? 

--
h
Please use plain text.
Professor

@haritia

Yes they do. But their thoughts and opinions are that of their own and are not official. It's also unlikely they will reply to your questions about future products or anything like that, nor about firmware releases etc.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I was exaggerating of course about the number of clicks so, no, I am not totally serious but, it is not as easy to get around on and, it's my opinion of that device along with an engineering background of that device. I am shocked that you don't know about the MMS routine. Wow. I find that hard to believe since you state that you have one. Here's the deal. I sent some photos to 4 people with iPhones via MMS and not one of them can see the images in the MMS message. The images are not coming through, only the text comes through. I had asked them if they had seen the pics they all told me no and that they can't see pics via MMS w/o going through this process. Well, my brother explained it to me. He has to enter in a hexadecimal number someplace else just to view that image. Same with the other guys- all state the same exact method has to be used to view images on the iPhone. I later emailed the other guy and he confirmed what my brother told me- He can't view any images sent via MMS. Nor can a software developer and another software engineer that I worked with who also says that he can't stand the way they do the MMS. He told me just to use email as that's the only way he can see the images. So, if you don't know that, I am going to assume that you either don't have an iPhone and were BSing us, or, if you have one, you never have had anyone send you a pic via MMS. It doesn't work without going through this process. The iPhone is a pile and, the number one reason why it's sells like it does has nothing to do with how it works. It's how it appeals to people by how it looks. It is all in the packaging. It was the first one of it's kind and, when you have something that is the first, and keep expanding upon it and refining it, it hangs in there as being the number one device of it's kind. It looks great, has an excellent screen, it feels good and solid just like iPods. Those things also sell because they are the first of it's kind and everyone has to have one including an engineer like me. I like gadgets and electronics but, I also like things to work. Something that my first rev iPhone and second rev iClown never did. I still dislike the new one and think it's a pile but, that's just my opinion. But, you have to remember that Apple has had years and years of refining it whereas, Nokia puts one out and it's only been out 3 months or whatever, and people call it junk. Do you recall that first POS that Crapple put out? That first generation iPhone was even worse. The moronic engineers used a metal back which completely shielded most of the RF signal coming into the radio! Talk about idiots. That was a bad design. At current, we have a class action lawsuit over the Rev 2 model due to extreme dropped calls because some other moron decided to keep the same lame radio design that was in the first one. In fact, they took the iTouch and added a radio to it. The radio portion was an after thought.They ripped off the screen technology from the military equipment that was out long before they came out with their touch screen and, it doesn't even work half as good as the stuff I worked on and saw in use in MIL equipment. Now, they are being sued, again, for ripping off the zoom feature that was patented by someone else along with several other web browsing features that they supposedly ripped off from this chap. THat whole pinch and zoom and other features were stolen from another inventor who came up with that long before they got it. Steve's up there touting his horn how they patented it- sure they did. That's why he's being sued. I love Apple computers like mad, but, they can stuff that iPhone where the sun don't shine. 

idave wrote:

To cmcken1

Dude are you serious? Talk about over exaggerating. 10 clicks to take a photo? Only takes 2 sunshine. 3 if the phone is locked. And what are you talking about with the MMS? I've never heard of that crazy process. Pictures just rock up in my inbox. My iPhone RARELY locks up. And if it does, it sorts itself out and comes back.

How hard is it to double tap the space bar? It's actually faster than if a period button was on the same screen because rather than hitting the period, then the space button....you just hit the space button...twice. Not exactly "a damn joke". 

I had an N97. It's a peice of s**t. I went back to my iPhone and I haven't looked back.

In my experience, the iPhone (and I'm referring to my 3G) is more responsive than the N97.

I do agree on SOME of your points (eg multitasking,  GPS needs improving), but most of what you just said is completely inaccurate.

Sit down, shut up. If the iPhone really sucked as much as you think, why is it so successful?

Oh yeah...Apps....there are lot of useless App's, but there are LOTS of practical ones too. It's not hard to find the ones you want, and even easier to ignore the ones you don't. 

There are three things I love about the N97. The physical keyboard, the high res screen, and the 5 megapixel camera. It's a pity that the lense gets scratched by it's own cover though. That shortens that list down to 2 things.

Please use plain text.

Maybe the MMS thing is a AT&T thing or something. I'm in Australia and I promise you I own one and I've never had to do that to get a MMS. The other possibility is maybe it's the parental controls!??! In which case....that sucks!!!

Regardless of my last post, I do understand how someone can hate the iPhone. I did, for a while, hate the iPhone. I loved the sleek look of it but I was experiencing drop outs, app crashes, and the fact that it lacks bluetooth file sharing, and for a while lacked MMS, copy paste, etc did tick me off. That's why I got the N97, but around the same time, the 3.0 software update came out and I've been pretty happy with it since (except the bluetooth thing. That still annoys me). I don't think I've had a single drop out (apart from having no signal) since the 3.0 update. 

Anyway, considering this is a discussion about N97 bugs, let's move on...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ I do not have time to read all the 30 pages of bug reports (and have no other place to post my questions/feedback except forums), so posting couple of pages of mine after one week usage of that N97 “flagship”. So probably, some issues were already posted. ]

So, my first hands-on bugs discovered in N97 (RM-505) 

= Hardware =

- Photo cam objective curtain scratches the objective instead of preserving it!, when even a tiniest particle of, i.e. sand (hard dust), gets under it; My phone’s objective place got scratched on just 2nd day of the phone usage!!; {really super-stupid engineering solution for such an expansive phone model!}
- Removing (pulling out) external flash memory card is kind of a heroic act (unbelievably non-smartly engineered the card slot environment);
- 2 internal speakers are really terrible: those have such a frequency response that both together sound worse than one on tiniest E51. Additionally, it seems there is a strong resonance frequency (at about 3 kHz) that makes music listening via the speakers just kind of a torture.

HW/SW(low-level firmware):
- Charging hangs at some point on 2 battery indicator strips and, when switching the phone on, the "low battery" message appears and charging starts all over again (but stops quite soon, since battery is already charged, actually).
- Every time the USB cable is plugged in (just for data transmission purpose) the charging starts unconditionally. This seems to lead to undesired "memory effects" in battery and fast capacity lose. (Might be logical to ask user by the corresponding menu when USB cable is plugged in? :smileywink:
(- By the way, can’t leave unnoticed the introduction of Nokia’s micro-USB standard. Taking into account the absence of any place saving compared to massively adopted mini-USB, just lots of inconveniencies instead (due to the same stupid engineering) and unbelievable price, the only reason for introducing it was, probably, making money on one more unique accessory?)
- The phone switches off on power lock very unexpectedly - just couple of beep warnings while one battery strip is available still! and it's dead;

= Software [SW 11.0.021(original) / 12.0.024(C01.01) 4-08-2009] =

- Changing of access point for Home Screen apps is possible only after switching the phone off and on again (than it shows access-point selection menu – but not in any other case: just “WLAN .. access point is inaccessible..”);
- IMAP4 protocol fails for incoming message receiving (just e-mails are retrieved) as well as sending fails completely for SSL/TSL protocol (it worked just fine in 3rd Ed-n!);
- Setting of custom tone for a particular contact is impossible: MP library opening fails with "Not enough memory. Close some app.." (Changing of default tone to a custom one is possible only via File Manager!).
- Moreover, every 1st incoming call after some quite long inactivity time is always alarmed by Nokia tune disregarding to any settings in the active profile (only every next call, that comes after, without any long time delays, is alarmed by the tone according to settings in the profile);
- When closing the phone (keyboard), the orientation is unconditionally changed to vertical, even if it is still horizontally oriented, and only after changing to vertical it changes back to the right horizontal orientation once again;
- Phone updates are not refreshed when update is done via PC as recommended by the SW Updater itself;
- "Switching The Phone" (copying of settings from older (actually 3rd Ed-n FP1) phone) fails: BT connection just breaks after some time (looked like, it starts copying the external flash memory card as in PC/OVI Suite case);
- In many cases, internal Nokia apps initiate packet data access to SIM operator despite clearly opposite 'default'-connection settings, and even if some active WLAN connection is available (i.e., in e-mail box setting up case);
- Phone number in "Contacts" just cannot be copied!!!;
- Copying of simple English language text (several lines) between, i.e. notes and calendar, results in such a number of surprising effects and undisplayable symbols that you need to be a magician to predict what you are actually editing and what it'll result in :smileyhappy:;
- The selected number cannot be dialed - you need getting back, selecting the contact once again for dialing and only after that you'll be prompted to choose the contact actual number to dial;
- No fast copy/paste key combinations (Ctrl-C/V)? [This feature was available for sure on 9300.]
- Fast battery drain (of 1500 mA/h): several applications are shown as active constantly: home screen, menu, and apps which widgets are active on home screen. Do the ‘homescreen’ and corresponding apps ever go to idle/sleep mode (when phone is not in use or at least home screen is not active)?

= MMedia =

- Downsampling interpolation errors in Image Viewer (not optimal resolution is set: looks like upsampling from the small icon :smileywink:;
- Hangs (randomly) for some time when playing back video clips recorded by the phone;
- Not using full (actual real) camera resolution when zooming-in in video capturing mode;
- Lots of other artefacts: 
 > abrupt (non smooth) contrast/brightness/white-balance parameters changing, distorted frames when camera moves: 
 > frames are combined from parts of actual frames of former and more recent objective position;
 > effect of "waving" of frames; 
 > no frame stabilization;
 > no aspect ratio saving/detection on playback in "Nokia Video Manager";
- Music Player hasn't changed since first N95 version, thus such disabilities as: 
  > no folder play option accompanied with no old ID3 tags support (i.e., Cyrillic (KOI8)) make impossible playing of everything that does not comply with ID3 tag version supported: all fields filled in Unicode. That means almost nothing can be played in the result; Is it really handy managing in such a way 40 Gb (easily available on N97) of music? Just headache - not the MPlayer;
 > only mp3 audio format is supported among many other various popular and higher quality audio formats available nowadays (OGG, FLAC, APE, etc);

=> OVI/PC Suites <=

- OVI destroyed (removed) my e-mail boxes several times when the phone is connected to a PC in PC Suite mode. I had to recreate those several times all over again with different names, so those can survive after OVI :smileyhappy:) ;
- Performing phone content back up results in unconditional copying of full content of external flash-memory card!!; In OVI it copies the full content of internal mass memory card as well, when 'device memory' is selected!!;
- OVI installation is accompanied by several crashes. The same often happens during functioning (i.e., sync, etc.). Really unclear why it was needed creating one more poorly functional and unstable Suite instead of advancing the more or less stable PC Suite (one more example of perfect Nokia management :smileyhappy:

=< features present in 3rd Ed-n and not in 5th. Why? >=
- It was removed in 5th a lot (about 2/3) of options available in web-app, some of them really essential (i.e., saving/opening web pages, phone number description field (cleaned to stupid Suite i-face :smileywink: ), messaging, etc., etc. Why? Is this the same case as with S80 and S60? 

It’s really shameful software for more than 600 euro “smart”-phone. Such savings on SW development for such an expensive HW-full flagman of Nokia (as well as all 5th Ed series) is truly illogical policy of Nokia’s higher management stuff. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

idave wrote:

Maybe the MMS thing is a AT&T thing or something. I'm in Australia and I promise you I own one and I've never had to do that to get a MMS. The other possibility is maybe it's the parental controls!??! In which case....that sucks!!!

Regardless of my last post, I do understand how someone can hate the iPhone. I did, for a while, hate the iPhone. I loved the sleek look of it but I was experiencing drop outs, app crashes, and the fact that it lacks bluetooth file sharing, and for a while lacked MMS, copy paste, etc did tick me off. That's why I got the N97, but around the same time, the 3.0 software update came out and I've been pretty happy with it since (except the bluetooth thing. That still annoys me). I don't think I've had a single drop out (apart from having no signal) since the 3.0 update. 

Anyway, considering this is a discussion about N97 bugs, let's move on...

Ok, sounds good to me my friend. 

Please use plain text.

Re: Post your N97 bugs here

My home wifi keeps disconnecting on the N97 after a few minutes. I have a sony ericsson c905 which manages to remain connected fine.

I have set the wifi as priority 1.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Firmware 12.0.024.C01.01: the backlight bug is back. I am having issues again with the backlight not being switched on when I open the keyboard, starting with an idle (and autolocked) phone. As I did in version 10, I have to close the keyboard, flip the unlock slider a couple of times to unlock the phone and switch backlight on, then I can open the keyboard and use the phone.

Boingo and all the crapware is still there, and it will NEVER go away.

The SIP client is still missing, and it will NEVER come back.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

new97_user wrote:

(- By the way, can’t leave unnoticed the introduction of Nokia’s micro-USB standard. Taking into account the absence of any place saving compared to massively adopted mini-USB, just lots of inconveniencies instead (due to the same stupid engineering) and unbelievable price, the only reason for introducing it was, probably, making money on one more unique accessory?)

The Micro USB Connector is set to become the standard With most Mobile Phone Manufacturers.

Thus enabling the same USB Leads/Chargers to work on different manufacturers handsets

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hard to dispute about standards (despite that micro-USB hasn’t passed the final adoption phase for the Common Charger yet, as I know), but the micro (at least in Nokia’s version) has less pros than cons, IMHO. Just half a millimeter of space saving (which is not crucial even for tiniest MP3 players) against worse reliability (IMHO, despite assurances), worse convenience and higher complexity and, hence, price. Moreover, let’s take into account the huge number of already available USB chargers (cables) on the market for mini-USB (for various MP3 players, cameras, external drives, etc.). Why, in the end, all that stuff cannot be standardized then as well?
Anyhow, I really do not see any suitable reason for moving from mini to micro-USB. (Sorry for possible off-topic :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

new97_user wrote:
Hard to dispute about standards (despite that micro-USB hasn’t passed the final adoption phase for the Common Charger yet, as I know), but the micro (at least in Nokia’s version) has less pros than cons, IMHO. Just half a millimeter of space saving (which is not crucial even for tiniest MP3 players) against worse reliability (IMHO, despite assurances), worse convenience and higher complexity and, hence, price. Moreover, let’s take into account the huge number of already available USB chargers (cables) on the market for mini-USB (for various MP3 players, cameras, external drives, etc.). Why, in the end, all that stuff cannot be standardized then as well?
Anyhow, I really do not see any suitable reason for moving from mini to micro-USB. (Sorry for possible off-topic :smileywink:

From Wikipedia Mini_and_Micro

Basically, mini-usb has been deprecated.. and I personally think that is a pretty good thing. Micro-USB has one huge advantage over mini-usb.. type a-b sockets..

There are always two types of sockets for USB.. Type A is traditionally used by a USB host (a computer for example) and type B is used by a device (printer or usb hard disk)

Type A/B sockets however are a fantastic hybrid. They accept both type A and type B plugs and depending on what type of plug is pushed into the socket, the behavior of the device changes..

For example, plugging your phone with a type A/B socket into your computer, your phone would act like a USB device.. BUT plugging phone into a USB card reader, your phone would act like a HOST and be able to drive the device at the other end! This is fantastic and opens up the path for plugin devices into other devices.. Your phone could, in theory, pull images off you digital camera.

I know it is change, but I really think this was a change for the better. I have 3 micro-usb cables at home compared to my 11 billion mini-usb cables so that is a bit of a pain but fingers crossed, and now that mini-usb is *NO LONGER A CURRENT STANDARD* (not shouting, just to summarise) it won't be long before such cables are given away with breakfast cereals.. 

micro-usb FTW!

(I am not saying that the N97 has a type A/B socket by the way.. just why microusb is useful. I REALLY hope the RX51 / N900 has a type-A/B socket.. with linux on board, that would be most awesome!)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I’m, personally, not so excited about micro A-B. Just because I do not see any really cheap IC solution for safe resolving host-to-host accidental connections. On my old iRiver I had two separate A and B mini-USB female slots with reasonably reliable hardware (male) key protection preventing plugging B into A (despite that, frankly saying, I was trying to do that very many times, accidentally of course :smileyhappy:)). And I still don’t have much against such a solution (just one more slot and tiny cable adapter). 
Moreover, among officially announced mobile phones with USB host support (really rare case!), I was touching only the OpenMoko. But with no luck (might be, SW problem, but HW wasn’t really clear for me as well – kind of N800 cable hack probably was meant, but I didn't have much time to play). I haven’t touched N810, but N800 has mini-B slot and both tablets need tampering with the cables (link), etc. to force the USB controller into host mode (Linux platform only, once again). So, it’s still not official and, hence, not safe for USB controllers.
So, as you've noticed yourself, Nokia hasn’t announced officially any mobile phones with USB host support still (and N97 doesn’t have micro a-b as well). 

But I absolutely agree, such a feature is really important in a mobile among the missing ones (and can be implemented quite easily as well).  

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

new97_user wrote:

I’m, personally, not so excited about micro A-B. Just because I do not see any really cheap IC solution for safe resolving host-to-host accidental connections.

That's the point though.. Assuming you use A to B cables only.. and really all cables should be a to b then you can't get an accidental plugging it in the wrong way! It's not really Nokia's fault.. the USB peeps have deprecated mini-usb and they're just following the current standard

Please use plain text.

Hi to everyone.I've found a severe problem with my n97.Today suddenly it ran out of charge and turned off.now when I connect it to its charger only the charger light turns on but I can't even turn the device on.nothing happens on its screen.i've tried different ways for charging that(computer included too)but  wasn't succesful.can anybody tell me how can I at least turn this device on?Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

if your phones battery was completely dead then you must let it charge for a moment before you try to start it up 

/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&thread.id=158991

try this and see if it will work for you 

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.

Sorry my friend, but I've waited 24 hours instead of some minutes.I thnk theres something wrong with the battery and I'm gonna change it.Anyway thanks for your advice.
Please use plain text.