Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Problem Sending SMS - E71

Contributor

Problem Sending SMS - E71

Just bought a new E71 phone. It all works fine except that I can not send text messages, i can receive them though.
I made sure that I have the correct message center number.
I also restored the phone to factory setting several times in addition to making a full reset.
I also found some posts talking about the "Conversations" application, I installed and removed it.
No luck whatsoever. I still can't send text messages. It's kind of frustrating, cause I have a feast here and I cannot greet my friends using text messages.
Can any body help?

Re: Problem Sending SMS - E71

mine works perfectly fine . you could try switching to other gsm provider , see if that works.
Contributor

Do you think this is a solution? This line has been with me since 2000 and it has been working fine so far.
Counsellor

Why don't you go to your GSM provider and ask them for help? They usually can do this without any problem. E.g.: test phone with another sim card, test that sim card in a different phone ...

Also, it would be an option to test with a simcard from a different provider.

This is about testing, not switching the lines definitelly. On the end you should be able to draw a conclusion: either phone is not working (then go for service) or the simcard it's damaged (which is not something new).
Contributor

I've changed my SIM card and it works fine. Turned out that cause I have a really old sim card (7 years), you have to replace it with a new one.

actully em facing the same problem but cant find the solution,,,,whenver i change the sim mes can't send ,,,a caption appears unable to send n the number,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Contributor

hi... now i have developed a similar problem...

this was something i had experienced about 4 times that i had the E90 for a year with O2.. i am still with O2 but moved onto an E71 now...

this morning i sent a text message and the recipient received it 4 times.. following this none of my outgoing messages are being delivered.. after sometime i get a message that says "message couldnt be delivered as the memory is full. please free some memory and try again"... this wasnt an alien message but i was surprised that this problem is still dogging me... so i made sure all applications were closed (although none other were active), switched the phone off, took the sim and battery out.. waited for an hour and reslotted again.. still the same issue...

then i used a different handset and there were no problems all in sending out the messages.. put it back into the E71 and the same old problem resurfaced.. tried another sim in the handset and the problem persisted.. contacted O2 to get the updated SMS centre numbers and all were in order.. i hadnt had any problems at all..

it tells me that the problem is with the handset rather than the SIM.. when i had the E90, the only thing that would help was a fresh install of the software... and then the tedious process of updating my contacts and sorting out my profiles n themes etc etc... 4 times in a year was too much for me, esp since the updating of contacts from previously made backups or other handsets wasnt 100% effective.. it would often miss out on a few numbers.. at times after the syncing, the problem re-emerged...

now i am at my wits end as to why this happens and what other alternatives are there to sort it out.. i am really fed up of this... if it continues again, i might have to say good bye to Nokia for ever since it appears to be a software related issue.
Registered Member

this is definately a software problem, and I am experiencing it right now after using e71 for 9 months. I get exactly the same message as Sagirparkar. Please offer some help. Thank you.
Registered Member

My E71 can't send SMS but it can RECEIVE text messages. I have already tried the following: 1. Changed message center number 2. Changed SIM cards 3. Inquired with my network provider. 4. Restored factory settings 5. Restarted my phone a million times already. 6. Closed all open applications 7. Took the battery out for 15 minutes for full reset. Nothing worked. What do I do?

Help needed.

I sent a couple of large messages to all my friends when i noticed that my messages are now not being sent. A general message that "Memory Full, Please close the applications and try later". I firstly switched off my phone then restarted it but problem presisted. i contacted the service provider and they told me to delete data from sim memory and fom inbox, did that, but same result.

I restarted thousand of times but nothing new happened. I chose factory settings even i never wanted to do that but same results. I even got my message centre Number updated a thousand times but problem remained i switched my phone off  2 times and sent message to my own number as told by the customer relation officer. but that was just a mere wastage of time i hope i have tried every existing method except of reinstalling the softwre that would surely help send the messages but in contrast would destroy all my existing settings and data. All what i did then is to consult to nokia but didnt got a good response even from there. it seems even they are ignorant of this software flaw that has not been noted by them i suppose. I have faced this same problem 4 times in E51, E71, E72, E65. This problem seems related for me to only E series as i havent experienced it in N95, N76, N96, N97 or N81 or N91 at all in my mobile usage career.

I therefore request that if some body has any other unique working method to dissolve this problem please reply to my message and inform me about that. as far as nokia is concerned i dont hope to get even their mere attention to this problem. Couldn't imagine how they remain silent on this matter even they still see it happenning under their nose. Hope to get anonmyous response soon from any body. I guess it's going to be the start of E series diminishing from my part of life.

Registered Member
coastie54

ve dRe: Problem Sending SMS - E71

hi, i had the same problem, today i went to nokia downloads and updated my phone, now it works , but i forgot to back up my contacts and lost them all opps, hope this helps anyone else with the problem

Counsellor
lucianmobile9

Re: ve dRe: Problem Sending SMS - E71

go to: - messaging - outbox. if you have any messages there delete them and restart your phone.

go to: -messaging - sent. if you have more than 200 messages then delete some.

go to: - messaging - options - settings - text message - message centre in use - and make sure you select SIM message centre

hope it works.

cheers
Registered Member
spurs

Re: ve dRe: Problem Sending SMS - E71

Unfortunately nothing seems to be working.

I have tried abolutely everything, i even managed to get through to a call centre who werent much help.

I even updated and not only c;losed applications but removed them and still the same.

This is one of the best phones ive had and apart from this problem i am really happy with it, but now i am ready to chuck it against the wall.

Registered Member
angelsfury

Try what I did. Call your provider, get hungup on 4 times and the phone reset at least 6. Then Jump around and throw things. Just for fun, backup your whole phone system, maybe reset factory settings a few times, and if you are feeling really crazy, get the message service number and delete then program that into your phone a few hundred times. Then call Nokia who will refer you directly back to your service provider and force you to participate in a satisfaction survey.

When you are about to go completely insane, take out the sim card from your Nokia and put it in any other non Nokia phone. Send yourself a message using the other phone. When that works, take the sim out of the other phone and put it back in your Nokia.

Should work a treat.

Nokia will say "oh how strange, but it isn't the phone." Provider will say "oh how strange but it isn't the server." You will go back to texting until some random day in the future when it will happen again and you will wonder why you bothered getting out of bed at all.

Hi Guys

em using nokia e71 from last 1 and half year..

I face the same problem and the only solution is hard reset....

Save your all date in your computer or laptop and just hard reset your cell.your problem will be solved..

It usually happen when u forward a txt containing 3 messages to more than 15 person or maybe due to software problem..

And if u want to know about hard reset just Google it ..

regards

naqi saqib

Contributor
jennyw

Problem Sending SMS - E71- SOLVED--

THANK YOU Solution works -well done. my example was from LG to Nokia using a '3' network sim

This issue appears to develop when you buy a nokia and transfer your sim from your old phone to your new phone.  Nokia hate every other phone company and purposefully make compatibility a nightmare.  My guess is that the nokia software refers to the sim during the message process and somehow the old phone has already pre-formated some data. The final solution would require a Nokia software upgrade.  KEEP DREAMING I have seen so many listings on the same problem its obvious the just DONT CARE. 

Contributor
jennyw

Re: Problem Sending SMS - E71- SOLVED--

use the solution about sending your self a text from your old phone .. THIS WORKS ! When you are about to go completely insane, take out the sim card from your Nokia and put it in any other non Nokia phone. Send yourself a message using the other phone. When that works, take the sim out of the other phone and put it back in your Nokia.
Should work a treat.
Registered Member
2k9basketball

about the hard reset, thanks it worked for now, but will this problem re-occur?:smileysad: i just came back from a month vacation and my phone was working fine, and now i come back to my phone not being able to send messages and learning that this might be a defect in the phone :smileysad:

but with the hard-reset method, will this problem occur again?

Registered Member
moresky

I've been stuck with the same problems for a longtime
I've tried hardreset but it not works

Few day later I found the solution of my nokia e71

This is how to solve that problem
1. Change your sim card to old nokia phones(3xxx,2xxx)
2. give your e71 with a new simcard and turn it on
3. Turn on the old phone and then send a messages to nokia e71
4. Wait until messages delivered or sim messages sending failed
5. Send messages using e71, after delivered. It shows a warning "allow sim to send messages" click cancel (because this is the problem, it makes data collision in the network)
6. Replace your simcard from old phone to nokia e71
7. Problem finished

Hope it gonna helps
Registered Member
tom11701

Must use area code in your own area.  Will work then.