Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Problems with E75 firmware 201.12.01

Employee
laitos

Oh yeah, I forgot the Germany variant: check the link I posted earlier today regarding SW updates and availability :smileyhappy:

And now I'm off for the weekend. It's "vappu" (may day) here in Finland and I have to head home and start the preparations for the weekend. Have fun with the new SW release and feel free to provide feedback!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

"I also noticed someone waiting for NSU release instead of FOTA release: Actually the content in both deliveries is identical, so you'll get exactly the same update whatever method you use for the update." Does this mean binary identical, Laitos?

Regards

Please use plain text.
Contributor

haey laitos;

thanks for this update, i actually was expecting a lot Substance rather than these background gimmicks. One thing i was expecting was use of flash light as torch, 2ndly the lost features of sensor restored.

the only thing that is quite good about this new firmware is speed, the search utility searches fast now and its better, thing is there is no NEW thing. btw my nokia maps are working great (with no map  support for the country i live ) this has been the utmost waste of my money, many applications that are coming on ovi store ARE NOT FOR E75 but they are available for e71. if E75 is your division mate than get it fixed. get its a known product in all your departments.... regards

Please use plain text.
artv

After 48 hours since installing the v210 update, my observations are:

- Very few changes observable (although there could be quite a few underlying big fixes, they are not obvious)

- Bug has been fixed so that fast typing doesn't result in any dropped keystrokes any more

- Although Laitos' comments suggested that there were big changes to the email software, I have not noticed any discernible differences. HTML emails still cause problems.

New problems:

- 3G reception issues have now arisen - so when signals become weak, the firmare seems to shut down all reception. If I force to GSM 2G only, then no issues arise

- If I type *#0000# and choose to check firmware updates, it now insists on bluetooth being the only way - **bleep**?

- When synced to both a bluetooth headset and bluetooth connection to my laptop, the phone would no longer send or receive sms. They just jammed until bluetooth was deactivated. Never noticed this before in previous firmwares.

And WHY no free maps. V3.03/3.04 can't be that hard - other FP1 and FP2 handsets have them (including E71 which has same screen and processor as E75).

Please use plain text.
Advisor

»Have fun with the new SW release and feel free to provide feedback!«

So here is my feedback then:
The new firmware is a bad joke. Many people posted problems in this thread here and almost none of these are fixed in the new firmware. Even the really simple things like changing a translation or a colorcode weren't done. Is this the way Nokia cares about customers' concerns? We all waited quite a long time for the new release and hoped that the issues that annoyed us and we reported, would get fixed. I'm fairly frustrated now. I have an expensive phone and the manufacturer does not really care about it. It looks like the E75 has a very low priority for Nokia. E.g. older phones like the E66 and the E71 which are only FP1 devices, were provided with free navigation, but the E75 not (yet?!). I stayed calm for a while, but now I'm really disappointed - that's definite the wrong way to deal with costomers, Nokia!

Regards

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swix

abxvn wrote:

The new firmware is a bad joke. Many people posted problems in this thread here and almost none of these are fixed in the new firmware. Even the really simple things like changing a translation or a colorcode weren't done.

I understand better now, this is probably the reason why Nokia does not post changelogs... :->

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Am I right in saying that the new 210.x.x.x firmware has not yet been released in the UK, as I cannot find it on the website, via the Nokia Software Updater app, or via the phone itself?

However, this may not be a bad thing, as first reports of the firmware seem rather undelwhelming, so I'm not in a huge rush to be disappointed... ;-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

abxvn wrote:

The new firmware is a bad joke. Many people posted problems in this thread here and almost none of these are fixed in the new firmware. Even the really simple things like changing a translation or a colorcode weren't done. Is this the way Nokia cares about customers' concerns? We all waited quite a long time for the new release and hoped that the issues that annoyed us and we reported, would get fixed. I'm fairly frustrated now. I have an expensive phone and the manufacturer does not really care about it. It looks like the E75 has a very low priority for Nokia. E.g. older phones like the E66 and the E71 which are only FP1 devices, were provided with free navigation, but the E75 not (yet?!). I stayed calm for a while, but now I'm really disappointed - that's definite the wrong way to deal with costomers, Nokia!

Regards

I sympathise and agree... Why we are are still waiting for the free maps update? Why has it taken so long for a, from initial reports, disappointing firmware update to be released?

I can only assume that Nokia only sold a few E75s, compared to other E phones (see how many topics are in the section for the E75 compared to the others) and so are not focussing any resources on our problems.

Very disappointing, if true.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

[ Edited ]

abxvn wrote:

Regards

I totally agree.

artv wrote:

- Although Laitos' comments suggested that there were big changes to the email software, I have not noticed any discernible differences. HTML emails still cause problems.

- If I type *#0000# and choose to check firmware updates, it now insists on bluetooth being the only way - **bleep**?

The same here. Oh, I'm so surprised they created new bugs... Wait..., no I expected this.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

No, that isn't a bug. Read my post relating to this issue here please: /t5/Eseries-Devices-and/Problems-with-E75-firmware-210-12-15/m-p/678294#M66933

Regards

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have been monitoring my E75 since the update of firmware on 30/04/2010. The battery life is still very very small. I have to recharge my battery twice, daily.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

cheerful wrote:

I have been monitoring my E75 since the update of firmware on 30/04/2010. The battery life is still very very small. I have to recharge my battery twice, daily.

That's abnormal. Do you use programs that access the internet all the time or something similar that stresses the battery? If not, try a new battery. An original one is not that expensive. I need to recharge my phone only every third day on average which is a normal value for today's smartphones.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

abxvn wrote:

cheerful wrote:

That's abnormal. Do you use programs that access the internet all the time or something similar that stresses the battery? If not, try a new battery. An original one is not that expensive. I need to recharge my phone only every third day on average which is a normal value for today's smartphones.

Regards

Cheerful: Battery life is highly dependent on e.g. data connections / GPS usage and incoming / outcoming calls will also reduce the uptime. And if you're e.g. in rural area where the network signal is weaker, it will also affect on how long the battery lasts. 

If no calls / data connections are kept open and the battery life is still under 12 hours, then it would be wise to have your local service center check the device and then check also the battery.

abxvn: yes, I mean that they''re binary identical and it's not dependent on which method is used for the update. Update method when using NSU and FOTA are different, but the outcome is the same. I won't go into any details of the actual methods though.

I'll check the other issues mentioned here with our SW team (FOTA profile after update, 3G-2G handover, BT etc) later today. And I'll once again try to get some kind of comments regarding the Maps / free navigation.

And one comment to mudaser: It's entirely up to 3rd party developers if they want to create applications only for S60 3rd edition FP1 devices and not for e.g. FP2 devices (or for some FP2 models). If you feel like that some application should be made to E75, I suggest that you contact the application developers.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nagosy

Hi Laitos,

this firmware update solves the GPS problems. Now the GPS fix is done quite quickly, altough, as reported by other users, now my Ovi Maps 3 months trial licence has expired and there is no way to restore it (I'm waiting in vain for an answer about this issue by Nokia technical support since january...).

However, there is another issue that has not yet been fixed (it is present since the 1.x firmware version):

NGage application installed by default with E75 firmware doesn't work. There is no way to use it. Once started, it crashes without showing any error.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bas80

[ Edited ]

The last FW introduced a new problem for me. I couldnt use email because it caused to fill up the internal memory with the previous FW. With the new FW it doesnt happen fortunately, but a new problem appeared, it keeps updating and retrieving new copies of the same emails over and over. So my inbox is overflowing with numerous copies of the same emails. While there's only one copy from each of them in my (Gmail) inbox. This drains my battery badly, makes my phone slow, stops messages in my outbox to be send, and my inbox unworkable, so again, I cant use the number 1 feature from this device, email.

Is there any solution? I already tried to delete and reconfigure the mailbox, but tht didnt work. And deleting the mailbox is really hard since it refuses that because its updating all the time.. But once i managed to reconfigure my mailbox the problem reoccured unfornately.

Ty in advance

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

Hi,

Are you using Nokia Messaging, IMAP connection or Google's Gmail application?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jurriaanvm

[ Edited ]

@  nagosy:

In my phone there isn't any NGAGE application preinstalled. Are you sure you install it yourself in the past?

Laitos, thanks for your quick answers! Although I don't like the way Nokia treats its customers, I like how you try to make the best of it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nagosy

Hi jurriaanvm ,

you can find NGage application under "Menu->Applications->Multimedia->Games(n-GAGE)".

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bas80

thx for your fast reply Laitos,

I use nokia messaging, the push service has been working well before, but caused to fill up internal memory.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Budovi

to laitos: So, Ovi Maps 3,03 is 3rd party application? Ok, and who is developer? (maybe you can post here some contacts :smileyhappy: )
E75 (RM-412) fw: 211.12.01
Please use plain text.