Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Proper Way To Reset N8?

Sage
Accepted Solution

Proper Way To Reset N8?

I would like to clean reset my N8 in hopes to correct various problems I am having. I would like to preserve my contacts and text messages.

What is the best way to do all of this and is there any problems associated with doing this? I vaguely remember people saying you would lose the ovi store or other things when they did it. Though I am running Anna so perhaps the process is better now?

Any help or instruction would be greatly apreciated as I don't want to mess this up. :smileyhappy:

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Sage

ps. I guess im looking to have a clean install just like on a windoze machine :smileytongue:

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

You will need to backup all your data prior to this reset as all your data and contacts will be wiped otherwise.

The proper hard reset for the N8 is as follows.

Press and hold Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key and power up phone using the power button until your phone vibrates. Hold the buttons until you see the Nokia handshake. 

I believe the Ovi Store issue has been fix but have not had the opportunity to test it myself.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I is it necessary to hard reset? Can I just tell the phone to format itself to be a fresh install?
White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

It depends on how clean a reset you want. The *#7370# reset will reformat your phone but UDP will preserve some of the old data and settings so if you want to make sure you get a good clean reset then 3 finger version is the one to go for. 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Are there any ramifications of doing a the button hard reset I should be aware of?
White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Sage

I was reading the forum sticky post which highly recommends not doing the hard reset... Instead it mentions a factory settings reset. I am confused on the differences. And what to do.
White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Just resetting the settings won't wipe your phone as it only does what it does.

Do the hard reset by buttons or do the *#7370# as Cjlim already has pointed out.

If the device is working okey otherwise, this shouldn't really be a problem at all.

Then the phone will be much like a fresh install. - out of box state.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

What problems do you have with the device btw? Sometimes there are easier methods to fix it. - Might be worth a shot before having to reinstall everything again...?
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Sage

I am having problems with my music player, so I deleted some files that screwed some installed apps and the nokia sleep screen.

What is the *#7370# reset? is that different from factory reset from system settings? 

so there is

1. Factory settings reset

2. *#7370# reset

3. Three button hard reset

Trying to understand each...hmmm

I would like to have all my apps uninstalled and fresh Anna but I don't want to ruin the phone because we don't have Nokia care points here in toronto canada to help out.

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Is there a difference between the #7370# reset and the hree button hard reset?

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Vinmar

I'd start with the factory settings reset and move up from there.

I've done the *#7370# when the Symbian Anna software updates wouldn't install after upgrading through the Ovi Suite.

I later filled up my C: drive with an endless e-mail sync and installing a bunch of themes to it from a buggy Nokia Store version and just doing a factory settings reset cleared up C: to 130MB. Nothing else would and it took minimal effort to get my phone back to where it was before resetting.

I've never done the power on reset.
Please use plain text.
Sage

When I go to click factory reset it shows "Restore" and "Delete and Restore"

Not sure which to choose.... also it asks for a lock code when I click restore. Not sure what that is refering to. :smileysad:

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Sage

I also just tried to do the *#7370# reset and it asked for the lock code as well. How does one find out what the lock code is?

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

12345 ...if you haven´t changed it
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Sage

Thnx! Out of curiousity what is the difference between the two restore options?

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Sage

So I did the factory delete and restore... seems to have cleared up things alot! No random reboots or crashes so far. I'll keep my toes crossed. :smileyhappy:

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

Make back up(s) right now and after every or almost every important settings you do and applications. Can be useful in some time.

Especially when it is time for Belle update...At least I think it is a good idea.

Hope that your phone lives on in 2012 without hazzle :smileyhappy:

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
GraphitIndia

I think best way to re-set the phone is :-

1) Backup all your data;

2) Take the phone to nearest Nokia Service Centre for frest installation

3) restore your data

4) Enjoy seemless performance :smileyhappy:

Good Luck :smileyhappy:

I wish Nokia Start CDMA Handset in India again.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Yeh backing up is a good idea and I am very happy that my N8 is running smoothly as I love the phone. Looking forward to meeting Belle :smileyhappy:

ps. Just put in a 32 gig class 10 mircoSD card and it really makes things comfortable for storage and more fluid with large libraries of music. :smileyhappy:

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.