Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Pureview 808 Intermittent wireless connection ...

Advisor
japez85

Re: Pureview 808 Intermittent wireless connection and Joikuspot issues

[ Edited ]

I bought my N8 from Amazon US a couple of years ago and Joikuspot worked just fine. My 808 was purchased from Singapore and as you already know, Joikuspot doesn't work. So I don't think it has to do with my current location, but rather the country of origin for the phone.  Is that correct?

Are these differences hardware or software related? More importantly, is there a place where I can find a list of countries where Ad-Hoc networks are not allowed?

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

[ Edited ]

Hi japez85,

To my understanding it doesn't matter where you buy the phone from.

If for example I come to the USA, then my mobile should recognise I am in the USA and would one way or another restrict me from creating an Ad-Hoc network whilst in the USA. It does not matter in this case where I bought the phone.

As for your N8 'a couple of years ago', well I am not an expert on FCC regulations, but I understand that the FCC has changed it's rules within the last couple of years. I am saying this because as you most likely know, the FCC is very strict on granting permissions to sell equipment, and if the N8 went against any restrictions then you wouldn't have been able to buy the N8 in the USA. That's my take on the subject, I might be wrong. In any case, I would say if you want to take this up further, then the FCC could be your next port of call.. :smileyhappy:

As for the list of countries where Ad-Hoc networks are not allowed. I don't have such a list at hand. Sure, someone in the community might. For you japez85, I have checked the situation in the USA and it always comes back to the FCC. Anyways if anyone finds such a list then feel free to share.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
japez85

Well, if that really is the case, then that really sucks. Can anyone else residing in the US confirm this (with the 808 or any other symbian phone that has Joikuspot) since I no longer have my N8 to test this on?
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

[ Edited ]

Sure, I understand that. I would think so too. I believe if you have a foreign sim card and are visiting USA, then you will have the same restrictions but I haven't obviously tested that. :smileyhappy:

In contrast, you will find that the FCC allows WiFi direct, aka WiFi tethering. Devices such as Lumia 900 support this. As far as I am aware this technology is allowed in the US..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
japez85

However, WiFi tethering that the Lumia 900 employs is different from what the 808 Pureview does due to the fact that the 808 creates an Ad-Hoc network. Is that correct?

If that's so, then unfortunately there might not be a way to get Joikuspot to work on the 808.  I'm hoping someone else living in the US can prove this wrong.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

[ Edited ]

Lumia 900 does not create Ad-Hoc networks, it creates a normal AP style network (aka WiFi direct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct).

I don't know why FCC does'nt allow Ad-Hoc networks, but WiFi Direct they do.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Fresh_Breeze

[ Edited ]

Just a quick announcement that my 808 has similar problems with WLAN. Haven't tested Joikuspot though.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Kallisticker

Same to me.

And all apps I've installed are affected from time to time.

In addition wifi ap is moved to uncategorized.

N8, E7, Lumia 800 and PCs are working fine with the same ap.

PC 059M956, FW 112.020.0309

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mos041184

delete ur access point first than make ur wifi modem as default aceess than load map easily and disable mobile data if u have belle or anna
https://www.facebook.com/mos041184
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

[ Edited ]

Fresh_Breeze (and others),

There's another thread related to wifi issues here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Connectivity/Nokia-808-Belle-FP1-bug-WLAN-works-but-not-all-apps-can...

And the joikuspot not working in USA is discussed here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Phone-Applications/Joikuspot-not-working-on-brand-new-Nokia-808/m-p/...

Please use plain text.
Sage
Dan555

[ Edited ]

If Nokia Store says that JoikuSpot Light is unavailable in your country, you could try and download it directly from JoikuSpot's website instead of Nokia Store.

If the problem happens once installed, you could also try putting the phone in offline mode, running JoikuSpot, putting the phone online, then starting the access point.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I thought the 808 was suppose to come with joikuspot pre installed?
White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

Using JoikuSpot on Nokia 808 PureView in the US (USA)

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

This post is about using the third party application JoikuSpot in USA (and other FCC governed countries) and is copied to the following threads:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Phone-Applications/Joikuspot-not-working-on-brand-new-Nokia-808/m-p/...
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Pureview-808-Intermittent-wireless-c...
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Help-Does-non-US-variant-808-purevie...

1) It doesn't matter where you get your Nokia 808 PureView from, ie it doesn't matter if it's a US, Singapore or Finnish variant.. If you are using that device on a network/carrier in the US, the device recognises this and is not going to allow you to make Ad-Hoc wlan connections, as per the regulations set out by the FCC.

2) I understand (this I am not certain on) that the FCC regulations came into force in 2011. Therefore for any device manufacturer since then, the device is not allowed to create Ad-Hoc networks otherwise the device manufacturer wouldn't get FCC approval.

3) The FCC restrictons are in this case technically talking about Ad-Hoc networks, not 'wifi direct' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct) networks that are used for example in Lumia 610/710/800/900.

4) I understand the US Variants of Nokia 808 PureView do not have JoikuSpot preinstalled.

5) I understand that US customers are not able to purchase JoikuSpot from Nokia Store.

6) JoikuSoft should be aware of this as they are making the software to create the Ad-Hoc networks. I will find someone to talk to JoikuSoft, failing that I will do it myself. I noticed a post from 'greentoy' claiming "According to Joikusoft Support, It should work fine in US, but they didn't know for sure.". Greentoy, if you're reading this please post me the JoikuSoft contact you had so I can sort this out with them.

It goes without saying, if you have Nokia 808 PureView in the US, and are using JoikuSpot successfully, then I am happy for you and don't want to cause problems for you, but I suspect the FCC would be happy to tell you about their feelings.. :smileywink:

Are there any other questions I should be aware of using JoikuSpot in the US before I try to get in touch with JoikuSoft?

Please use plain text.
richt79

Re: Using JoikuSpot on Nokia 808 PureView in the US (USA)

Craig,
Please contact someone and find out if wifi direct for the 808 is a realistic possibility. I even had fring installed and the next day it just would not load anymore, is this related to another restriction? This is one of the things ive always loved about symbian in that it was unrestricted... ie you could use various bluetooth profiles when other phones provided only one or two. Wifi had multiple uses long before these other OSes offered wifi hotspot options. Its sad that consumers dont appreciate the flexibility of this system and the included options already under the hood. Nokia got the hardware right with the 808 and gave up on the whole line.

I really need a hotspot option, please let us know if nokia plans to implement wifi direct on the 808? Is it technically possible given the 808's hardware?
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

Re: Using JoikuSpot on Nokia 808 PureView in the US (USA)

Hi richt79,

I don't believe it's possible to use wifi direct on Nokia 808 PureView.

There was actually an FAQ related to the usage of JoikuSpot here: http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/support/troubleshooting/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136563_en_US

Please use plain text.