Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Questions before i buy the E6

Counsellor

Questions before i buy the E6

Hi there!

I am looking for a QWERTY phone to replace my old Nokia E5-00. i suppose the natural successor to the phone is the E6 but i have some reservations on the phone and issues i would like to ask/discuss here:

1. Notification Light

I have heard that when it lights it is almost impossible and very difficult to see as it is apparently a design flaw. is Nokia aware of this or has it done something about it?

2. Email & SNS Notifications

Again based on what i read there is no "central"  or unified source of email & SNS notifications and updates. to check your eamil you have to go to a separate app. to check your facebook or Twitter feeds you have to do the same thing. is this true?

3.  Camera

Why only fixed focus? and why no buolt-in image stabilisation or auto-sharpness? is there an update available to actually make the camera as auto-focus? or to make pictures actually clearer or sharper?

4. Battery Life

I had the E5 for more than a year and it has so far the most amazing battery life of ANY phone i had.  i heard the E6's battery life sucks and isn't as good as expected. is Nokia aware of this? i thought you guys make phones that have an excellent battery life?

I think so far this are the worse culprits even apparently after the Symbian Belle update.

This has started to put me off.

can someone convince me that 1. Nokia is aware of these problems and 2. that an update is avaialble or is being developed to counteract these problems and 3. that i should buy this phone (rather than a Blackberry phone)

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
owca83

Hi Gino.

I have 2 Nokias: E72 and E6. And for 3 Weeks a BlackBerry Bold 9780

For now, the E72 is much better- Email notofications- on screen plus popup!GOOD! Sync in real time!-sometimes faster than on my PC.

E6- one Beep(or whatever is in your profile)- no notifications!!!, no popup!!NOTHING!!! Thats BAD! E6 is a businessphone- the qwerty is for EMails..but theres no realy a good EMail app!

Just after menage a Exchange server the EMails arrived in real time!!But sill no popup!!if you need a popup you have to download Mobile Documents from Nokia Labs.

But to answer your questions:

ad1) 1. Notification Light

i saw the light at first time yesterday evening. i thought there is no light...!

In my E72 there is round the DPad a real good light!Oh, the DPad doesnt work like in E72, there is no touch function.thats not good, too.

ad2) 2. Email & SNS Notifications

when an EMail arrived here is only a BEEP and thats all! You must hear it, because there are no popups, icons etc.(a good place for the icon would be near the clock), but no, nothing!

SMS is allright- there is a POPUP, the same in missed calls

ad3) 3.  Camera

No AF. Pics are ok, but i like the E72 better

ad4)4. Battery Life

if you switch off 3g etc maybe 2-3days.

E72-better!

BB- 1-2days

Before i bought the E6 i buy a BB 9780 BOLD.

The battery worser then in E6. Quality of the plastic is very very BAD. Scratches everywhere.

Buy a E72 or wait till nokia solve the problems with the E6

Please use plain text.
Sage

If you were to buy an E6 today, it would likely be supplied running Symbian Anna, however an update to Belle may be immediately available upon switch on. That would be another choice you would have.

1. The latest E6 manufactured by Nokia have a revised keypad to correct the notification light problem (it was a hardware or design fault) You will not know if your E6 has the new keypad until you get it out of the box. You can have a new keypad fitted for free under warranty at a Nokia service centre.

2. The e-mail and software notifications are a software thing and since my E6 is still on Anna I can't give the most up to date answer because an E6 running Belle may do things differently.

3. I quite like the camera. It is not fixed focus in the old way of thinking about it. The camera on the E6 is what is called an extended depth of field (EDoF) camera. It can capture images of objects at varying distances sharply in the same shot. Something an auto focus camera can't always do. The major drawback for me is that it is not good for taking pictures of anything closer than about 1.5 metres away. They are not captured sharply, obviously being outside of the extended field depth. You can select one of three sharpness levels in the settings menu. For me, the E6 takes perfectly acceptable, sometimes surprisingly good, photos.

4. I've got used to the fact that in practical daily use the battery life of the E6 is not quite what one would expect based on Nokia's claims. I still easily get two days full use out of it, three if I run the battery right down but I like to keep the battery fairly well topped up. But hey that's still massively better than the iPhone junkies who can't go 20 minutes without a direct connection to a nuclear power station. There's claim and counter claim as to how various software updates have effected power consumption.

From what I read on this forum, one of the biggest concerns for the E6 at the moment is how the Symbian Belle update seems to be less than perfectly suited for the E6 to the point some consider the interface to be a backwards step and handicap on the device.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JWHK

The best Nokia business phone is a E72 with double CPU speed and RAM.

I know it's impossible!

Touch screen is good to have but  not essential

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

So, how  would i exactly know about this "revised" D-pad? what would be the difference between an older one and the newer one?

And this is the second time that i heard that the Symbian Belle update for the E6 seems to make the phone worse than the previous OS; it would seem that the update maybe rushed or is simply not compatible with the device.

When i rung Nokia they also didn't gave me the confidence of buying this E6. everytime the person say something for me 1. Nokia is not aware of the problems i've put to them or 2. Nokia doesn't bother about listening/reading on reviews and criticisms about the device or 3. Nokia has a Symbian Belle update but does not realise that it is not really compatible and is a step-backwards from Anna.

So, what should i do? buy an E6? buy an E5 or E72 instead? (and get stuck with an older Symbian OS) buy a Blackberry? 

*sigh*

Please use plain text.
Advisor
EinarPaul

I bought an E72 at the beginning of 2010, and since this date I have had the opportunity to use many other devices: E5, E7, E6, BB.

Neither other ESeries, nor BB are able to compete with E72 (for my business use): battery life, notifications, mail app, maps and navigation, Office suite, camera.

Cheers

Einar

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

Current Belle version is not user-friendly for E6 - check neighbor topics for issues description.

Overall, there is a lot of bugs - screen will freeze sometimes, or keyboard won't respond.

If you buy E6 with Anna installed - it should be quite ok.

I really hope that Nokia will be able to fix major bugs and issues in Belle especially for E6 in near future. On a good side - Microsoft Apps are promised to become available "soon".

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
owca83

A BlackBerry is not a good choice.

The BB OS from 9780 BOLD is for us Symbianusers not userfriendly ,too.

The quality of this phone is like - china plastic! After 3 weeks it looks like an old scratchy phone!

The keyboard is too small. Maybe the 9900BOLD is better but very expensive.

Buy the E6, but let us hope that Nokia will solve the problems.

Otherwise- the E72 looks like the best choice(price and OS).

Only the RAM and memory is not good.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Is Symbian Anna as good as the older Symbian versions?

If i decide to download Symbian Belle can i revert back to Anna if i want to?

In terms of battery life which one is the best...the E5, E6 or the E72?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
owca83

No, you cant downgrade.

There is a Micrsoftupdate for other Belle phones, maybe in few days for the E6. Hope they ficks some problems.

The Battery(E72 and E6) is the same: BP-4L.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Are you certain that Nokia is aware of these Belle problems on the E6 (and all other devices) and are they actually 

doing something about it? ('coz when i rung Nokia 3x today it doesn't sounded that way)

And will Nokia update their devices beyond Belle?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
typothecary

I really preferred Symbian Anna  for the E6. The reason I bought an E6 is because I hate touch screens. After upgrading to Belle, a lot more functionality requires touching the screen. Eg, before on Anna, you could, without touching the screen:

1. press the up button and go into the home pages
  2. access the menu by pressing the big button
  3. re-assign the hardware buttons to do different things. On Anna, I was able to re-assign the "mail" button to launch text messaging. Apparently it's now impossible to reprogram the hardware buttons (I read the whole user guide and it's not mentioned anywhere)

It really is like getting a whole new phone. It's very very different from Anna, and not better (IMO).

Also, they have especially annoyed me by changing the placement of the Exit and Back buttons in the music app. Every time I go to use it, i end up exiting the **bleep** thing.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I really would never have "upgraded" to Belle if I had known how different and un-friendly it is in relation to the keyboard. If you like touch screens, it's probably fine.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

typothecary

There is no problem re-assigning hardware buttons. I have actually sms insted of email just as you want.

I my opinion Belle is by far superior to Anna regarding speed and stability, especially the email client and multitasking is almost perfect now.

Furthermore, connecticity over 3G and WLAN is excellent and audio sound also.

Handling voice calls is handled with brilliance..In short, indeed Nokia E6 is a very compentent business phone cause it is relieable and fast enough. Never restarts and no more full memory ever...Symbian has matured finally with Belle at least for E6. Nokia 701 is even better but for less buck...

Mentioniing the widget (adjusting screen icons and so on) problems I have found my solution in the meanwhile when Nokia w0rking this out. I just leave some screen shots (perhaps some other people can get their own ideas how to manage their screens).

My E6 feels well structured and I am happy with it. I just wish another E6 would be released with 2,9 inch screen and and almost the same size overall. Would be nice for better web-browsing experience...

Btw, I use font magnifier on 135% font size and use Opera Mobile for better experience in webbrowsing and clarity and less impact on my eyes due to the problem of high resolution.

E6 is excellent for the right people but I prefer overall the Nokia 701 Belle actually but then there is no qwerty (but other stuff though)

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

[ Edited ]

My meny contain 5 folders were I have put my applications as sorted for my needs...as can be seen on other screen shots,

I use these folders on my screens in some cases, such as the daily applications for example.

I now can see the trees in the forest...

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
typothecary

@Ztuka I'm happy for you that your phone has been improved by Belle.I wish I could say the same.

I would be grateful if you would tell me HOW to reassign the hardware button from mail to SMS because I read the whole manual and couldn't find out how.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
typothecary

[ Edited ]

Never mind - I found it.

To change the mapping of three hardware buttons (Calendar, Contacts, Messaging) use:

1. Settings
  2. Phone 
  3. One-touch keys

It helps if you know what to look for - "One-touch Keys" is not obvious at all, especially because they have two modes - a short press does one thing and "press-and-hold" does something else. That's not "one-touch" in my book, but what do I know?

And I was going to write down where I found it in the user guide, but I can't find it again.

On a completely new point, I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of notification lights when they receive an email. Apparently it's just switched off by default and you can put it on again. Again, it's 

1. Settings
  2. Phone
  3. Notification lights

I must say the User Guide is much better than the N97's, but it's really, really hard to find anything useful in it. I mean, shouldn't "configuring the one touch keys" be under Personalisation? Or Phone? Or Device Management?  I seriously can't find it again in any of the obvious places.

Please use plain text.