Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: RAM Limitation problem of your Phone...(sticky...

Sage
power_user

RAM Limitation problem of your Phone...

[ Edited ]
Limited amount of RAM some times make many problems and may prevent to run programs......and so on...

WHAT is the Best way to Compress or KEEP the RAM(available) optimum for us??

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ???

Cheers,
KATH.

EDIT: made a slight change to the title

Message Edited by ajak on 15-Jan-2007
03:56 PM

POWER_USER
"tEcHnOlOgY is LIFE"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Re: RAM Limitation problem of your Phone...(sticky)

Me too want to know!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kemang

keep running program to minimum...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

What else...
Please use plain text.
Sage
power_user

Yes, that's not the answer....

Keeping program to minimum is not the BEST choice........"It's like not to eat because the FOOD will be wasted???" (LOL)

what else would u do???

Cheers,
KATH
POWER_USER
"tEcHnOlOgY is LIFE"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Absolutely right.
One ting can be done-memory compression???
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
viper

how to check your phones ram?
Blackberry Bold
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
taffytafftaf

15-Jan-2007
05:58 AM
power_user wrote:
Yes, that's not the answer....

Keeping program to minimum is not the BEST choice........"It's like not to eat because the FOOD will be wasted???" (LOL)

what else would u do???

Cheers,
KATH

Well keeping the running programs to the minimum IS the best way. Having smaller memory cards. Less contacts, regular hard resets. All these make the phone run faster but are not always practical. The antivirus always makes phones run slower, so does having large Themes etc. If you do everything I mention then your phone will be fast but will be pretty boring.
Is that an N95 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?!?

Life's too important to take seriously.
Nokias I've owned 3210, 3310, 6100, 7650, 6600, 6680, 6630, N80, N95
I'm a 26 year old boy BTW
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kemang

i agree with taffytafftaf...

so it depends on how you're going to use your phone... anyway how many of us here, use the whole functionality of a phone (at the same time)? ever tried to browse the internet while calling? play game and use camera? so just close other program that you dont use while browsing, it might help a bit, or better yet, nokia give us a bigger RAM =)

just my 2cent =)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

Reducing what's kept in phone memory might also help, so:

- avoid installing apps in phone memory where possible (this sometimes causes problems)

- switch to using card memory rather than phone wherever possible (camera, messaging - NB: move any pictures / videos to the card or the PC after you switch)

- store non-system files (music / office documents etc) on the card not the phone

The downside of this is that accessing things stored on the card are slower to access, so the particular apps that use things on the card may slow down.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

I am absolutely agree with fatc.
The best way to keep RAM free as posible is to utilize the card at its best though it has that downside as fatc said.
But all ya need is to just increase the number of RAM available.
I mean 64 MB is almost a legal basic need like food,health etc!
I.e. N91 8 giga with 14 mb RAM is a joke. People will only be able to put loads of music and a little amount of applications and games-
which almost not the proper utilization of 8 gig HDD.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

15-Jan-2007
09:42 AM
viper wrote:
how to check your phones ram?

Only with a 3rd party app, AFAIK. Best Taskman, for example.
N73-1 V 2.0628.0.0.1
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

korngear.

Maybe the N91 is a music phone and the 8GB are mainly intended to hold music, don't you think?

You can also hold movies or other data. Why is it a joke?.

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Yeah! el_nino,
Its a joke[though you put no to my post, I put yes to your post-thats called humanity!]
You must admit two things.
N91 8 GB is totally designed for HANDLING music.
And the other thing is,
how do you think with 14 mb Of RAM and 16 mb along 1 available C memory you can run different programmes with such ease like an Intel Xscale 412 Mhz processor with 64 mb ram can do.
Can ya deny if you have loads of wallpapers with 200 mb will take more than many minutes!
Can ya deny an N95 with 2 gig miniSD will open images and videos with less time coz its gallery is more developed than N91?
and I told that with 8 gig N91 will only be perfect with handling music and nothing else
[o yeah the damn boring so called super made mp4 or 3gp videos can be opened too!]
MIND IT.
Please use plain text.
Sage
power_user

15-Jan-2007
10:03 PM
el_loco wrote:
korngear.

Maybe the N91 is a music phone and the 8GB are mainly intended to hold music, don't you think?

You can also hold movies or other data. Why is it a joke?.

Dear EL_LOCO,

I didn't want to ask this, BUT I am forced to ask this to you.

Are you FAMILIAR with the following terms about a HDD ????

1. Seeking time
2. RPM
3. Cylindric resolution
4. Tracks
5. Numbers of heads
6. Bandwidth
7. File System
8. Allocation Units
9. Tracking time
10.Cyclic Density
11.Speed of Data Processing
12.Number of Bus in Microcontroler
and so on.......

If you are NOT, then PLEASE learn about these and then come here to understand WHY IT is a joke to have A 200 MHz processor and 14-15MB RAM(free) to control 4/8 HDD.

Cheers,
KATH.
POWER_USER
"tEcHnOlOgY is LIFE"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Yes I'm familiar with all those terms and I still don't understand what you're getting at.

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Sage
power_user

I don't think so......

Because, whether you(el_loco) are not well educated about those terms OR you are unable to understand that WHY the N91 with 14-15 MB (free RAM) and with 200 MHz processor will not be able to control larger HDD( say 12/ 20/ 32 GB) and IF able, that will be Shocking Experience for any body.

Hope I was able to Inject something to your memory.Thanks,

KATH
POWER_USER
"tEcHnOlOgY is LIFE"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Anyway!Get back to the business.
so, kath what is your recommendation about RAM controllin'?
Please use plain text.
Sage
power_user

yes.... Let's get into action....

The BEST way is to ENSURE that, what memory you are loosing by running a(or many) programs , GET it Back when the application closes. Most of the time you can't get it in the normal way......

Usually all Applications leave tiny and fragments of processes in the RAM after they have been closed(such as the Contacts). This eats your memory and then running many and many programs causes the RAM gradually to be fulfilled .....

do you people say YES with me?????
IF yes, think and discuss , by which way we can get back our LOST RAM again after closing applications. I am always here for anything.....

Cheers,
KATH
POWER_USER
"tEcHnOlOgY is LIFE"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

[ Edited ]
Power_user. I have here in my hand an N91 8GB and an N91 and I still don't understand what you are talking about.

Access time and performance is not different. The Media gallery in the 8GB has been replace by one that looks like the one in the N93 and is faster than the one in the N91. Transfer speeds in USB mode are comparable in PcSuite, Mass storage mode or Music Transfer (WMP).

Applications that access the Hard Drive behave in similar ways than the 4 GB version. I don't have too many tools to do actual measurements but from an end user experience there is no difference. If anything there are some improvements in the N91 8GB and some new features.

Yes more RAM allows you to have more programs running at the same time. But the difference in size of the drive don't mean that the programs you are running are bigger. Only that you can have more programs installed. But installed programs don't consume RAM, they only load into RAM if you run them. So again, the HDD size has no impact on the performance of the product (in terms of speed) other than the possible increase in access time and spin-up time that will depend if the HDD has 1 head or 2 heads and how many actual disks it has and the RPM and the spin up time and all the other things.

In the end I can confirm (because I have one) that the N91 8GB performance in Data Tranfer, Music Playback and other functions is similar (if not better) than the N91.

Message Edited by el_loco on 19-Jan-2007
08:17 PM

El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.