Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: RARE! n85 without Navi(TM) Wheel!!

Contributor
bnutz
Accepted Solution

RARE! n85 without Navi(TM) Wheel!!

obviously it is supposed to. first let me apologize if there was an any reference to a similar problem in an existing thread, i searched but didn't find anything. I have an n85-3 that i bought just about 2 months ago. I read on the box that it has the navi wheel, and i see the settings for navi wheel as well as "breathing" in the settings menu... but it is non-existent as far as the actual d-pad goes. My previous phone (n78-3... also s60-9.3/fp2 phone) also had the navi wheel and i was very familiar/proficient at using it... heck i even grew to like it! well anyways... i parted ways with that phone because of the **bleep** lure of the accelerometer and AMOLED and now i find myself groaning to scroll through long lists. I'll try and be as thorough as possible here... the ring inside the d-pad lights up pretty much as soon as i open the s60 music player to indicate the availability of the navi wheel... but nothing.... ive tried clockwise finger rotation from "as light as possible" to "almost firm enough to be pushing the button"... yet the cursor does not even move... not even a flinch or hiccup. counter-clock is the same story.... and it's not just the music player i've tried. photos... nothing.... selecting a ringtone, when the list of ALL MY MUSIC pops up.... nada. countless re-boots. i've done a soft-reset. I'VE EVEN DONE *#7370#! nothing. i'm stumped. the only possibility as far as i'm concerned is a hardware problem.... i guess it probably doesnt seem like a very big deal to most people (as they leave it off anyways, from what i read)... but i love(d) the navi wheel! any help/ideas are appreciated.... is this something i can get nokia to fix for me?? i bought the phone from amazon.. new w/ US warranty. i registered it w/ nokia too. somebody just tell me what to do please. coincidentally but i "think" un-related.... the strip of black plastic directly underneath the navi wheel has cracked... almost directly down the center too (as if to divide the menu and "c" buttons).... it doesnt affect any aspect of the phone's operation... it's purely cosmetic. is that something i can get nokia to fix? (hell i'd even pay a few bucks for that.... as it's not completely out of the question that the crack is a result of the phone being in my pocket and i squat down or something and my pants press the phone against my thigh.. resulting is too much pressure for the thin strip of plastic --- honestly i have no idea how or even exactly when it happened, i just h8 it being the only visible defect in an otherwise mint cond. phone). once again.. any help/ideas/advice is greatly appreciated.

thanx for reading,

--brian

S60 4 LIFE!!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I don't think the N85 ever did have a navi-wheel. There were all sorts of conspiracy theories about the navi-wheel and the N82, N96, N78 and N79 but it simply was never there in the production versions of these phones. Any things spotted on places like youtube that depict a handset with a navi-wheel are in fact featuring fakes or pre-production prototypes.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

[ Edited ]

There's no "conspiracy theories", the N78, N81, N79, and N85 all have navi-wheels in the finished, retail versions of the handsets. The N96 and N82 are the only ones that had a navi-wheel in pre-production but which didn't have one in the finished product (either disabled or removed).

If your N85 Navi-Wheel doesn't work, you need to get it replaced or repaired under the warranty.

Message Edited by sockatume on 26-Apr-2009 01:28 PM
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Thanks for the correction. I was unaware that the N78/79/85 actually had that and I'd forgotten about the N81 :smileyhappy:

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

What the hell, of course it is supposed to have a navi-wheel, mine had, you should take it back and request imediate replacement as soon as possible, and free of charge of course...
Please use plain text.