Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Restore Factory Settings

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8
Accepted Solution

Restore Factory Settings

What is the difference between doing a 'reset' on a N8, or going to the settings option for "Restore Factory Settings"?

I assume that the Restore tool will bring the phone back to the way it was, when the last firmware update was completed.  All user added information will be wiped.  Is this correct?

I've read about people losing the ability to do certain things after doing a 'reset'.  Is this applicable when doing the Restore Factory Settings as well?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Restore Factory Settings

What type of RESETS you are refering to ?

Factory Restore (..or Factore Reset) will not remove any user data..It reverts all the SETTINGS back to Out-of-Box state..Refer Pg.No. 117 of the User_Guide .

The Soft / Hard Resets will remove data from the Phone Memory.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

There are three reset methods available. The first method in Factory settings is a simple restore and won't wipe any data from the phone. The second method in Factory settings will wipe data from the phone. The third method is known as the "three fingered suicide" and not only will it remove all data from the phone, it will also remove Ovi store, Social and maps. This method should only be used to try and revive a dead phone.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Thanks - I've been reading in various forums about people losing data they couldn't recover (OVI store, etc.) from a "hard reset". I wanted to make sure what Restore Factory Settings does. Apparently the two that 'rayhipkiss' noted are completely safe - it's only the last-ditch suicide method that might create major problems.

I'm curious - how does "Anna" and "Belle" effect the "Restore Factory Settings"? Will it remove them and bring the phone back to just the way it came out of the box?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Factory Restore will restore the SETTINGS as of Out-of-Box... It can not change the Firmware (if updated later on..) to the Out-of-Box state..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

if you d oa hard resert,keep checking back for updates as i had to do the 2nd part of the anna update 3 times for it to install and work properly
Please use plain text.
Anonymous4492

Was just wondering if a restore factory setting done through the phone n NOT by the commands will delete messages and files in the gallery?
Help will be appreciated!
Please use plain text.
Anonymous4492

This is with the n82 btw
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Though it will not.. its always advisable to Back-up Data. I would also do a SYNC as additional safety because there are many reports that the 'Restore' did not work correctly and so on.. With the Sync, you are sure that the data is saved on PC as you can see it in the OVI Suite. To open the Back-up (.nbu) file and confirm is a much lengthier process that requres other application to perform that job... 

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Jampe

This post has been moved to Mobile Products > Nseries and Symbian Smartphones.

Please use plain text.