Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

SIM Card Registration Failed - Factory Unlocked No...

Contributor
p2l00

SIM Card Registration Failed - Factory Unlocked Nokia N8 [HELP!]

Hello everyone, I'm new in the forum! I have a really big problem which I don't seem to understand, hope you guys can.

A couple of months ago, I bought a Nokia N8-00 from Amazon US. I came to Peru for work andI decided to use the phone with CLARO (a Peruvian carrier), everything went fine. The phone recognized the signal right away and I have been using it since then with no problem at all -- it's not my first smartphone and it's not my first time in Peru so I do know how things work.

Yesterday morning when I checked my phone for any missing call, I had this message "SIM card registration failed" which I know is common when the phone is being blacklisted from the carrier, you or the real owner originally bought it ('cause it's being reported as stolen/lost or 'cause it was postpaid and the service was canceled before the contract ended). Well, that's not my case right? Since I bought the phone from Amazon, LLC (not 3rd party sellers) and it's factory unlocked.

Anyways, I removed my SIM card and cleaned it up and inserted again, nothing happened. Then, I tried my SIM card in another phone and it worked with no problem. I tried 2 SIM cards (same carrier) in the N8, nothing happened. I got really tired and upset so I asked for a MOVISTAR (another phone carrier here in Peru) SIM card, I inserted in the N8 and it worked. I inserted 2 SIM cards (MOVISTAR carrier) in the N8 and they worked flawlessly.

My head was about to explode since I wasn't getting what was going on!! So I updated the phone, well, actually I reinstalled the FW since there wasn't any new updates for the N8. I removed the MOVISTAR SIM card and inserted the CLARO ONE and it worked! I received some calls, sent some SMS and it was after 3-4 hours that I thought "I will turn the phone off and turn it on again to see if everything is OK". I did it and the problem started again.

So now I don't know what to do and I'm not sure what's going on. It might be Nokia itself blocking my phone? For what reason? Why am I facing this kind of problem? I just don't get it, it's pretty weird, don't you think?

Any, but any kind of help will be really appreciated it. I'm not going back to US in the next 5 months so I can't get the phone repaired.

Thank you,
C.

too much goin' on to throw sand in some idiot's sandbox.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Re: SIM Card Registration Failed - Factory Unlocked Nokia N8 [HELP!]

Is it too difficult or expensive to request a replacement SIM card from Claro ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
p2l00

No but I have tried another 2 CLARO sim cards in the N8 and it didn't work. It's kind of weird 'cause I would get a replacement if the other SIM cards would work. Only MOVISTAR SIM cards seem to work now. I don't get why!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Sounds like Claro have blocked your handset for some reason. Have you spoken with them about this problem ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
p2l00

Nope, I haven't but... can they block a handset that is factory unlocked and has nothing to do with them? I don't see it possible and if so, the phone worked after I reinstalled the firmware, if Claro has blocked my phone it will NEVER work again in Claro no matter what. This is getting really weird but I guess I'd try to talk with them.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

It has been known for networks to block handsets of users with unpaid bills for example, which is only possible if you have registered the phone with them, I have no idea how they operate.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
p2l00

I contacted them and they said they haven't blacklisted the imei that was given by me. I'm still facing the problem, I inserted the SIM card yesterday and it worked, then I restarted the phone and the message showed up again. This is getting worse and it's really annoying and no one besides you seem to know what the deal is.

Please use plain text.