Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

SIP video call with E71

Registered Member

SIP video call with E71

Does anyone knows how to use E71 for doing a video call using SIP? It seems that E71 supports h.263 codec for other purposes other that SIP. Is there any way to set h.263 also for SIP?
Professor
bhumbro

Re: SIP video call with E71

try using skype

Here are is a link where people reported using e71 with sipphone successfully (without installing Gizmo5 program:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1405018
Here's one using VoipBuster:
http://www.marcathing.com/2007/07/01/voipbuster-sip-and-nokia-internet-telephony-application-howto-s...
This one talks about Fring (I personally like) and also Truphone:
http://www.e71blog.com/

Articles posted courtesy engadget

keep us updated about the progress.... if u like wat I have to offer then click on khudos.
Advisor
tinhead2

Currently, there is no standard for video over SIP - so this would not be supported until such standards are created. Current solutions out there appear to be proprietary and some even require server hardware to support video.
Registered Member

I'm talking about registering E71 in an Asterisk server, and yes, video calls in sip is a standard thing where you may use video codecs like h.263, h.263+ and h.264 wideband.

All asterisk server support it, and for terminal equipment, you may use several brands like Polycom, Grandstream and for softphone Counterpath's X-Lite and Bria, for example.

The question was, as Nokia E71 supports h.263 and video calls over UMTS using  it, and also video recording using this codec, why not using it also for video calls over SIP?

Registered Member

bhumbro,

thanks for your reply. I'm able to do regular voice over sip calls, so that's not my question. I'm using an edgeBOX multiservice business gateway (www.edgebox.com)  and I have my E71 registered there and it works perfectly. The question is that I can't find a place where to define even the voice codecs on my mobile phone, so the question is, as you can do a video call over GSM/UMTS using h.263 codec is there any way to the same but using SIP call (aka Internet call)?

Thanks again

Registered Member

Does anyone know how to set up skype on the E71 for voip calls using a local wlan?
Counsellor

You can set it up in Nimbuzz.  Go to Nimbuzz.com and download their free app.  Settings for Skype allow internet calls, and you can set it up specfically to use the wifi connection.
Registered Member
elisheva

Re: video call with E71

I downloaded Skype to my E71 and I am using WiFi only with a 3G SIM and I don't get any option for Video Call on the Skype.  Why?  Do I have to download something else?  I don't know what is SIP or anything - I am very basic when it comes to these things, even my manual is in every language except the one I need - pls help...

p.s. any chance to recieve a manual in English?

elisheva

Contributor
rizanx01

Hi  - I have the same problem - downloaded Sype, but no video option. Also tried Fring - no video call option. Can anyone help and explain in simple terms how to use video calls. I was hoping to be able to skype video call direct form mobile to PC. I am using E71, on 02.

Contributor
rizanx01

elisheva wrote:

I downloaded Skype to my E71 and I am using WiFi only with a 3G SIM and I don't get any option for Video Call on the Skype.  Why?  Do I have to download something else?  I don't know what is SIP or anything - I am very basic when it comes to these things, even my manual is in every language except the one I need - pls help...

p.s. any chance to recieve a manual in English?

elisheva

Hi  - I have the same problem - downloaded Sype, but no video option. Also tried Fring - no video call option. Can anyone help and explain in simple terms how to use video calls. I was hoping to be able to skype video call direct form mobile to PC. I am using E71, on 02.