Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

SYMBIAN SYSTEM VIRUS SCAN?

Counsellor
jerseyfortay

SYMBIAN SYSTEM VIRUS SCAN?

Does nokia or symbian operating systems, have a virus scan for phones? If so where could i possibly download one....Also is that affecting my warranty if i were to put a virus scan for my phone...
NOKIA N96 rocks
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: SYMBIAN SYSTEM VIRUS SCAN?

there are a few virus programs for symbian fsecure kapersky and such, but in all reality you don't need it, use common sense do not accept files from unknown sources, do not use cracked apps and you will be fine. you can't get a virus on an symbian run phone unless you actually allow it, so it needs human intervention to be installed.
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Counsellor
jerseyfortay

Hey thanks for the info....but what if i sent like a mp3 file from my computer to my phone via bluetooth, would the phone detect that it has a virus?
NOKIA N96 rocks
Mobile Sensei
radical24

well i should hope that you have a virus or fire wall protection on your computer. as long as this is intact there is no worries to transfer files from your computer to your phone. i would hope that you would know if you have a virus on your computer. as long as you know where these files came from, meaning, a friend, a webiste that is legit etc you should be good to go. i have had several nokia phones over the years and i have never had a virus on my phone. 
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Mobile Sensei
radical24

/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=127

here is another things about phone security, have a read it might give you a better understanding :smileyhappy:  

Professor
post007

If you want to use AntiVirus software in your mobile then use NetQin AntiVirus software. Download it from this link.. http://www.netqin.com/english/product_download.jsp?businessID=101&type=en&cooper=947 .. But radical24 is right. There is no need to use AntiVirus scanner in our mobile if we use safely.
If you like my post then give me "Kudos" star...
Professor
loveuhateu

I dont even use AV in my Pc nor in my mobile. LOL Its just we who are careless and bring virus on our PCs and mobiles. Actually AV company itself produces virus and infect our digital library. Thats it!
Mark my posts as helpful if anyone finds it! After all you will make us improve.
Thanks for kudos if you give!
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Not using AV on a windows based PC is plain foolish as even the most careful of people can easily pick something up.  Macs and linux based machines are generally ok.

AV on phones is pointless for those that just generally browse the internet.  People who mess around with dodgy apps, or programs from less than legal origins are the most likely to ever encounter a symbian based virus/worm.

There have been a few pieces of malware out there but it's still very rare.

Message Edited by psychomania on 13-Aug-2009 09:33 AM
Professor
loveuhateu

Hello, pshychomania. Who told that i use a windows PC? I meant PC here that i use linux on my PC.
Mark my posts as helpful if anyone finds it! After all you will make us improve.
Thanks for kudos if you give!
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

If you read my post you would see that I also mentioned linux.

It was a general warning comment to people as you did not specify what PC you had.  When you say PC to the majority of people they instantly assume that it's winblows.

Registered Member
Lotha

Whenever I install an App. compatible with my Nokia E63 the installing process always comes out with a 'File Corrupted' display. I have installed Netqin Anti Virus .. Does this AV have to do anything with the problem stated above?.
Professor
j444lh

As per Psycomania's advise above, if your installing app's from legitimate sources such as the store or the developers website there should be no need for AV software on a Symbian device.

The E63 has been out for a while now and could have built up a bit of "crud" in it's files so I'd recomend getting rid of any AV software and re-installing/updating the firmware using Nokia Suite.

Make sure you've backed up first.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Counsellor
esbo1

I really do not consider they advice you don't need an AV is you get stuff from stores valid.

There should be AV stuff there is no reason why you should be restricted to stores, and who is to say the store is legit anyway?

I have something tryingto dial out on my phone and I do not know what it is, that is an operating system fault IMO.

Untill a virus is discovered, how to the 'legit' sites know it is virus free?

And anyway someone could install a virus without you knowing and without AV you would *never* know