Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Save space on C with Maps on N97

Mobile Sensei
carman58

Save space on C with Maps on N97

Well known tip for regaining space on C after installing the latest Maps3.04. Go to installed apps and remove all the 'share location' stuff, you'll get about 3 to 4 meg back, and if you really want to share location install Nokia social messaging/facebook and Twitter app, from Nokia Beta Labs or Ovi Store. This will install on E and both FB and Twitter will add location on posts :smileywink:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage

This doesn't make Maps unstable? 

If this works, you desire double kudos!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

The Share Location apps are there just for a direct connection between maps and social networking sites, it does not have any bearing on the functioning of maps, except that the associated icon (share location) will not work anymore.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

@

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

N97, the great workaround-phone. Nice carman!

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

If you find enough workarounds it's great, if they ever 'fix' it I'll have to find a new hobby !:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

very good carmen58

everything in maps still appears to be working properly and i have an extra 3MB on "C"

green star clicked

:smileyvery-happy:

me 3310 6300 N97
son N95 HTC magic
son 6300 N95 E63
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nimmi

Very nice tip.. thank you...

Please use plain text.
terryboy

A great thanks guys.

I have recently addressed the same issue on the Nokia Support website:

Happy Reading!

Hi there guys

I have a couple of concerns and questions. For starters:

Every time I load a program onto my phone like a theme or software it decreases my phone’s memory even if I do select the mass memory option as a target. What can I do to change it because my phone functionality slows down when I load software? Is it at all possible to update/install programs like Map and maps, Mail for exchange and N-gage onto my Mass Memory without having a duplicate on my C drive or even using the memory at all? How can I prevent my phone memory(C-drive) from being used? / How can I keep my phone memory optimised, and stop it from slowing down and freezing on me? The mass memory which is 30gig is hardly used or not at all when I load an application. I basically only use it to load music and videos onto my phone. Can I use it to install applications onto? I am extremely frustrated. What can I do to resolve this issue?

Number two. What can I do to fix my browser? Every time I click on my Web icon on my phone’s home screen, I only get as far as the Bookmark option then I get cut off. It disconnects every time I try to connect to the internet. This includes trying to access the Ovi store and Nokia. I just cannot access the internet. I have checked my internet setting and it is definitely not that. What is procedure to reinstall the web browser?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
terryboy

Hi there guys, me again

Just to add that the Nokia N97 is my first Nokia phone ever and I honestly regret the day I bought one. Nevertheless, it is a phone in it's own class but not properly calculated by the nokia group. The ram could have been more but I guess just another experiment.

I had three Samsung phones so far. The only reason why I bought the Nokia was because I was on holiday at home and had to return to the country where I work. The previous Samsung SHG F700 which I had wasn't bad at all. The only snag was I couldn't bulk it up with Applications. I was honestly looking for a better phone than the Samsung, and honestly the Nokia is better. It's an upgrade and it doesn't have to shy away with some of the features and specifications it has. Well, I don't have to go into detail. I am just so shocked by the huge injustice Nokia has made which actually cripples the Nokia N97, namely the low amount of RAM/memory. So far there has been no signs of any possible alleviation. I am really going to try and sell my phone which is currently only two months old.

I am utterly distraught. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
el_dred

nice one carman...gave me 5mb...valuable..got my kudos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
martin1

wow its very nice tip i got nokia n97 as my birthday gift on 12 march.but unfortunately i have reset my phone and all data erased :-( i want to save some space on C with maps on N97 which i got here.

thanks 

Martin hardy
Please use plain text.
Sage
coopere

i don't have anything against nokia maps but i don't use it. the caribbean is one of the places nokia hasn't fully mapped out as yet. i use google maps which installs on mass memory and my country is laid out to the fullest, from street names to buildings to everything.

nokia maps is great, but just not for me.

everything happens for a reason
check out my blog @ http://mycellife.blogspot.com/
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

If Google maps gave free navigation in the UK I'd use it, it doesn't, so I don't. I do however use it for street view :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

how would i find out if i have free navigation on google maps?

me 3310 6300 N97
son N95 HTC magic
son 6300 N95 E63
Please use plain text.
Contributor

terryboy wrote:

What can I do to fix my browser? Every time I click on my Web icon on my phone’s home screen, I only get as far as the Bookmark option then I get cut off. It disconnects every time I try to connect to the internet.

I solved issues with OEM browser by switching to Opera mobile beta. It's free, and during two or three months, no problems at all, nice interface, easy to use.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

@ tatiana059 you don't unless you have a google phone and live in the USA

@adienis Opera Mobile and Opera Mini  are both out of beta, and you can set Opera Mobile as default browser on N97  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
terryboy

Thanks alot!!!

Please use plain text.

the N97 is my third Nokia and I fear my last. After one of the upgrades it became unstable and froze up unpredictably.  After latest upgrade (21.0.045) it seems steadier and retains its home page icons.  However it is just too much trouble clearing its phone memory and being forced by apps like Maps to use that memory.  I should NOT need to be a geek (which I am not - tho I do use DrJukka) to use a smartphone.  Still thanks everyone for the many helpful hints.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nokiabear

Google Maps navigation in the UK

An entry in an Android forum states that Google Navigation 4.1.1 IS now working in the UK - and that is supposed to be official, not some work-around.  NB not sure if that is true for all smartphones running Google Maps but certainly on the HTC android-based touch phones 

Please use plain text.