Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Several severe Issues with the Nokia 808 (camera, ...

Advisor
DReffects
Accepted Solution

Several severe Issues with the Nokia 808 (camera, battery usage)

Hey Guys,

I was a avid user of the Nokia N8 with its amazin camera features. So i made the switch to the 808. While the initial Impression was awesome, when traveling over the last few days my experience wasn't that great. There are several in part very severe issues i am having:

1st and foremost: the cameras automatic shutter speed is too low for nearly every shot. No, my hands are not too shaky, I've doing professional photgraphs since 10 years now and am able to shoot with 1/10th and lower. Yet, when enjoying a boat tour in Copenhagen and taking pictures of the passing scenerey, nearly all images have noticeable motion blur due to the slooooow movement of the boat. And this in bright daylight. The only way to bypass this was by using the sports mode - but then again you are limited to 5 megapixels. You can also notice the very long shutter time when simply taking a picture of your local metro station. MOst of the people walking by have motion blur.

This brings me to issue number 2: I really don't get why i am unable to influence the focus method. You get the Landscape and Sports mode (which use a fixed focus) but that's not available in the creative mode. So even when doing simple panoramic shots in the creative mode in 5, 8 or 34 megapixels the camera has to focus. Problem here: when shooting panoramic stills the focus sometimes decides to focus on a nearby person instead of the 'big picture'.

Issue number 3: When manually selecting a very low ISO value (for decent night shots) the Camera makes that artificial shutter sound WAY before the shutter actually closes. Therefore you THINK that taking the picture is already done and move the camera around. This results in awful images:squint:

Issue number 4: Battery usage is way to high on the 808. I was able to take my N8 around town all day, shoot over 300 (Yes, 300) images, do a bit of navigation, email, browse and tak without the battery being drained below 15%. I ran out of battery with the 808 after only 136 images, 15 mins of Navigation, Wireless Lan and 3G turned OFF. So the entire point of having a device that combines phone and camera and lasts all day is simply gone :smileysad: I had usage times of 3-4 days with the N8 (when not on vacation:squint:) - the 808 is drained after the first night under the very same conditions.

To sum it up - i'd like to see the following things fixed/added:

- Behaviour of the automatic shutter

- Option to manually select shutter

- Option to select different focus methods (on / off :squint:) in creative mode

- BATTERY USAGE NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED!

- black on white color theme for email

- ability to select multiple images in album view like before

- ability to get additional information on the image like with the n8 when you press and hold and select 'details'

- Ablity to turn of autofocus in video mode

- when deleting an email while reading the email, display the previous mail instead of the inbox

Would be great to get some feedback from you guys on that!

thanks

-daniel

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Several severe Issues with the Nokia 808 (camera, battery usage)

I am really upset to hear about the gallery not having all the functionality that the N8 Belle gallery had. I hope they put that back in.

ps. I noticed that a lot of shots that people take candidly online it seems like the shutter speed is obviously too low for hand held. If they want those settings it should be only set for tripod mode.

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

[ Edited ]

Hi..

regarding the comment "Ablity to turn of autofocus in video mode"

.. isn't that what the "CAF" icon does in the lower left corner when taking a video?

Issues 1-4 I will pipe to product development :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
branu

have used mine for a week now and have 2 question.
Seems that shutter speed is to low on many occasion.picture unsharp.you cant have a tripod all the time.
2.in scene mode.why cant you chose the picture size.5mpix.8mpix or full resolution.would be great to take full resolution picture in scene mode instead of always have to use own setting for that.cant see to change that in scene mode.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DReffects

Hey Craig, thanks for the Feedback. I totally missed the CAF button at the bottom :smileyhappy:

As for the other: i am happy to see my input being noticed and passed on to development.

As many people seem to have problems especially with the shutter - is there a timeframe for a first update that would address those issues? :smileyhappy:

Thanks
-Daniel
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

[ Edited ]

Hey Daniel,

Regarding your issue number 3, this I haven't been able to reproduce. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, so just jot some steps down for me so that I reproduce this, either directly to me or in the thread..

thanks, Craig

Please use plain text.
Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Issue 1 slow shutter speeds: Please supply some example images so we can study further. We actually made some changes in comparison with the N8 here so surprised to hear of this. The aim is to keep 1/30 shutter speed as much as possible. Once we reach equivalent of roughly ISO 800 the shutter speed drops too.

Issue 2. Focus settings: Long touch on the viewfinder will bring up a list of focus mode options.

Issue 3 and 4 we need to look into more.

Damian - Nokia

Please use plain text.
amurocks

In Landscape when I click photos in 16:9 mode, the center of the photo is 1:1 as seen in real life however towards both ends of the photo the image is spread out. Say the image is not 1:1 as in real life, it is stretched toward left side.

In portrait mode, the images appear taller than real life (which is similar to stretch on landscape as mentioned above).

In the picture attached, both the guys at extreme left and right are not as fat as they have come out in the photo.

Is it a faulty camera module or is it typical of the 808? Kindly help as service center people do not know.

However in 4:3 mode there is no percieved difference and images are 1:1 as in real life.

Amey Nerkar
Please use plain text.
amurocks

Also in the above image, look at top left of the image. The person is totally skewed in the photo.....same with people on the top table....
Amey Nerkar
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

From looking at the photo it appears to have been taken at a rather short distance. The 808 has a large aperture lens which can cause a 'fish-eye' effect when taking shots close up. Not as strong, but it will have some of it's properties.

You might want to try and use one of the available scenes (Select Scene mode on the Camera view and choose 'Close-up' in the scene options on the left side of the screen.) Because of the 41Mpix sensor you can also move further away, bringing your target more into the centre of the shot and then use the zoom to fill the shot with your target.

Let us know how you get on

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
navi123

Please look into this issue too.

I have a Pureview 808 and I see that there is no option of selecting multiple photos from my gallery..

It's becoming menacingly difficult when we have to share multiple photos or videos between devices or uplod them on to social networking sites.

Thanks in advance.. Wish to see a fix ASAP..

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

Navi123, you might have noticed the gallery comment is discussed here: discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/808-gallery-issues/m-p/1481692

Please use plain text.
Advisor
navi123

@craig.. yes i do know that craig.. it's just that the phone has been launched around 3 months back.. But still no fix for the existing issues.. So wherever possible.. i am adding my comments.. i also note that no one is commenting on the amount to time required to give the patch??

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bheemajnv

my nokia 808 pureview is giving trouble from the day one. it behaves erratically some time. like sometime when i am browsing or when i am surfing my nokia maps it hangs and it feels that cell got switched off except when u use the unlock button there is a vibration otherwise phone is completely dead even for display as well... and unless i remove the battery and switch it on there is no other way to get my cell working again.my os version is 112.020.0310 with custom version 112.020.0310.222.01 and product code 059P7Z2..

Please use plain text.
rahul9911

Please use plain text.
elegantbymind

Re: Several severe Issues with the Nokia 808...

Hello…I own an 808 PureView device. At the outset, I must congratulate you for creating such a marvelous device. It’s in all dimensions a brilliant Smartphone and has no major lags except a few which I would like to mention as suggestions to improve the general smoothness and usefulness of its User Interface (henceforth-UI).

1. The in-built gallery lacks ‘mark multiple items’ option which, if integrated, can be fruitfully used to delete or send multiple items though Bluetooth. Also, the in-built gallery lacks ‘renaming’ function which would otherwise be helpful in organizing the gallery items, and in giving custom names which are easy to remember and deal with.
  2. The generic MUSIC PLAYER lacks the track/music search function from within the music player, and so, to search a song out of the vast collection, the user has to use the generic SEARCH application by exiting or minimizing the music player, which in itself is a cumbersome exercise. The search function, if integrated into the music player, will help a great deal in making the music experience really customized and precise as also time saving.
  3. The in-built VIDEO editing options available in the video viewing dashboard are relatively much naïve and rudimentary as compared to PureView’s lesser predecessor, the N8. Now, since 808 is a full-fledged camera Smartphone, it is bit logical on part of the user to expect the video editing dashboard to be as efficient and complete as the photo editing dashboard of the same is.  Advance options like adding music clip can be added to the video editing console to mitigate the need of using any third party application to do so, and thus, it will further enhance the utility drawn from the cell-phone UI in terms of video editing and viewing.
  4. The generic MESSAGING application has the default view as CONVERSATIONS view and manual selection every time is required to switch the view to FOLDERS mode. If there had been an option to make a choice in setting the folders view or the conversations view as default as per users convenience, it would have been again a smooth messaging experience.
  5. To end up, the generic CONTACT application lacks the facility to edit the contact labels unlike the one which was available in S60 V3 devices (I owned N79 prior to owing 808 PureView and so I am well aware of this utility). Facility to edit the contact labels makes it easy to differentiate between multiple contact numbers of the same contact so as to have an ease of remembrance and clarity of use.

I earnestly hope that Nokia will incorporate some or all of these suggestions in the next-to-come firmware upgrade for Belle FP1 devices. These modifications/additions, if done and made, will make the Belle OS fully competent with its various other contemporaries as it just lacks these things but otherwise is a fluid and extremely useful OS. I request you to kindly pay due heed and consideration to my observations and work towards making the Belle OS an all-encompassing mobile platform. Thanking You.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
smeggypants

DReffects wrote:

Hey Guys,

I was a avid user of the Nokia N8 with its amazin camera features. So i made the switch to the 808. While the initial Impression was awesome, when traveling over the last few days my experience wasn't that great. There are several in part very severe issues i am having:

1st and foremost: the cameras automatic shutter speed is too low for nearly every shot. No, my hands are not too shaky, I've doing professional photgraphs since 10 years now and am able to shoot with 1/10th and lower. Yet, when enjoying a boat tour in Copenhagen and taking pictures of the passing scenerey, nearly all images have noticeable motion blur due to the slooooow movement of the boat. And this in bright daylight. The only way to bypass this was by using the sports mode - but then again you are limited to 5 megapixels. You can also notice the very long shutter time when simply taking a picture of your local metro station. MOst of the people walking by have motion blur.

I agree with this. What's really strange is that I've tried to force higher shutter speeds in indoor lighting conditions by selecting ISO400 or ISO800 in creative mode and strangely the shutter speeds don't increase as you'd expect. In the same ighting conditions with auto ISO, the camera selects ISO100 and you get similar shutter speeds ( 1/30 to 1/50 ) as you get with ISO400/800. most weird.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
smeggypants

DReffects wrote:

Hey Guys,

Issue number 3: When manually selecting a very low ISO value (for decent night shots) the Camera makes that artificial shutter sound WAY before the shutter actually closes. Therefore you THINK that taking the picture is already done and move the camera around. This results in awful images:squint:

thanks

-daniel

On your issue #3 -  What should happen ( For logner exposures ) is the camera makes another sound on shutter close, like a traditional camera shutter. But to be fair you should use some common sense and realise that when taking night shots you need to hold the camera steady for least 3 or 4 seconds to be sure. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
leonard2

@DReffects @rahul9911 @branu @wrender @smeggypants
For your information

Re: 808 Auto Focus and Shutter Speed.
http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/808-Auto-Focus-and-Shutter-Speed/m-p...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marcek6

There is also a problem when focusing with the focusing light on a paper with text. Because the led light is too bright the camera can't focus. It works if I lower the exposure, but that's not exactly practical.

Please use plain text.