Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Share your Symbian Anna experience here

Advisor
GokouReborn

Not only weired... Awful too. That is not good. they could of keeped the same contact icons as they were, green, not white. Green is better than something dull and lazy like white. Maybe they will fix it with the Belle update.until 2012 we will see.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Yes, the white icons are a part of the default theme in Anna. Install some other theme to get colourful icons. And about the sms notification window trouble, I had that problem because I had installed a latest version of an antivirus and mobile optimization software. It interfered with the notification of sms and calls. Had it uninstalled and the problem stopped.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
supergamer

Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver N8-00 User

On September 11 2011 I upgraded my N8 using this application. The application warned me that I should do a phone back up. It also prompted me that the phone will restart and install. "The phone will start" appears and I can only select the Ok button. When the phone boots up I see a white background with a black rectangle box that says updating and there is a blue bar indicating the progress. After it updated and finished installing, nothing changed other than the firmware number. I was very disappointed and went ahead and downloaded the themes just to see what they are like. They give you 4 choices: Midnight Aqua, Midnight Copper, Midnight Lime and Midnight Silver. They look pretty cool for new looks and you still can tell what the icons represents. Basically the icons have better graphics compared to the default phone icons.

Today September 13 2011, I decided to check the update list using the "meet symbian anna" application's update scan. After the scanning is done Nokia N8-00 software update (important) 24MB was found. After installing this update with the same white screen and blue bar indicator the phone booted up with a slightly different screen. First it asked me for my system language. Then I was forced to register my account that I created on the Ovi Store website. This must be done or else you cannot use your phone. Pressing the home screen button will only prompt you "do you want to use the emergency dial". The first thing I noticed different when typing in my email address was the virtual keypad. The size of the virtual keypad was smaller and the changing of the keypad to keyboard button was different. Instead of having the old three horizontal lines as the switching button they now have a three horizontal line with a 90 degrees corner that points to the top right. This button allows you to switch your virtual keypad to a portrait qwerty keyboard. There is one major draw back though. The portrait qwerty keyboard is opened up in another screen. It is not a pop up keyboard where it shows what you are doing in the background.

After my phone could be used again, I went back to the "Meet Symbian Anna" application and did another update scan. This time it came with two Symbian Anna updates. Symbian Anna Update 1/2 25MB and Symbian Anna update 2/2 24MB. I went for these updates hoping that it would fix that portrait qwerty keyboard jumping to a new screen problem. These updates do not require you to restart your phone. After updating, as usual there was no change.

Knowing that the portrait qwerty keyboard is still not a pop up keyboard, I started to mess around with the settings on my phone. I tried out the new icons by changing the theme of the phone. Changing the theme of the phone is the only way to change your icons. Since I downloaded new themes from the "Meet Symbian Anna" update scan before my phone was officially Symbian Anna, I now have 2 sets of Midnight themes. The ones downloaded before my phone was officially Symbian Anna have a coffee mug icon on the right hand side of the text while the Symbian Anna default themes don't. The default Symbian Anna theme icons are very simple. Every option within the phone has changed to black and white with the default Symbian Anna themes. Some of the icons are over simplified to the point that it is difficult to interpret what they represent. The best example is the calculator. Instead of having a calculator icon, they use the equals sign (=) to represent it. I went back to my downloaded theme icons since they are more intuitive. The default Symbian^3 themes are deleted and I want those back.

After checking out the new icons, I decided to check out the web browser. They improved the interface a lot. the address is always present now on the top of the screen, they made the selection the user has made by using a dotted outline rectangle instead of a light blue rectangle. The main reason why the web browsing is faster because they treat the entire web page as an image. There are draw backs to this, if you are watching a video and you decide to drag down to see the content, the video will pause until you let go of your finger to the screen. Also the video will not even load if you cannot see the video window. The best feature Nokia has made to the web browser is that it will not auto connect to any network, you would have to manually connect yourself. This makes it much easier to handle connections to the internet on your phone.

I also checked out the Social application just to see all the features Nokia has created in Symbian Anna. It turns out that you can log on to Facebook and Twitter only. I only have a Facebook account and the experience on it was splendid.

To summarize, this update finally works in Canada. Nokia did promise the portrait qwerty keyboard, faster web browser experience as well as the Social application. Here are my opinions on the new features based on the implementations Nokia mentioned on the meet Symbian Anna Application:

Fresh Icons
Pros: New looks and feel to the entire phone Operating System. Mild color usage and easy to remember. Menus using black and white icons along with text will not grab too much attention to the icon and allow the user to focus on the text.
Cons: Some icons are over simplified such that they are hard to interpret.

Portrait qwerty keyboard
Pros: Don't need to tilt the phone landscape to use the qwerty keyboard.
Cons: The qwerty keyboard is not a pop up keyboard, it opens up as a new screen which forces the user to memorize which text field they are on and what they are doing.

Web Browser
Pros: Improved user interface, faster browsing on web pages.
Cons: Scrolling web pages will stop all videos and audio that is currently loading on the browser.

Social
Pros: It runs smoothly. Clean interface, smooth browsing just like the web browser.
Cons: Strange error messages on connecting to Facebook. "Unknown error".

Overall I would recommend anyone to upgrade from Symbian^3 to Symbian Anna.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GokouReborn

i didnt install an antivirus or a optimization software. it happens when i updated to anna

Please use plain text.
ronsthompson

Since i updated my C7 to anna, I can't stop 1 of 3 email accounts from continuously updating as there is ni MANUAL otion.  Even with retrieval days set to 0, it keeps checking and downloading!

HELP PLEASE

Please use plain text.
ronsthompson

I meant 'no manual option'
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

@ Gokoureborn
have you installed any third party app that accesses or controls your sms or call feature?
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Advisor
GokouReborn

Nope nothing ... that is the weired thing about it. I may try to reinstall the anna update  threw the ovi suite and see and let you know blitzkid. I dont remember if something failed or not. during installation i was running on low battery and it was canceled one time before installing.

or i dont know if it is the anna updates 1/2 or 2/2.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

alright... The problem may lie in the updating of firmware. Check it out first. :-)
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Advisor
GokouReborn

Ok blitzkid i found the problem.It was a software i had from before and after the update it act weired with Anna. So the problem was the fring program. before installing anna it was ok but then something happened yesterday it was keep opening so i uninstalled it and  the message notification was fix too.

So i guess Fring is not quite supported with Anna or i have to reinstall it again .

thanks for the help anyway. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

@Gokoureborn
Good to hear that your problem is solved. I guessed that it was a third party app that caused the problem just as in my case. That's why I had asked about it earlier. Anyway, its over now. Enjoy symbian Anna... :-)
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Sage
RiderX

I had problems with Fring before Anna too.

Fring is trash and should be deleted!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
GokouReborn

found it on fring website too that anna and belle is not supported.

http://support.fring.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=96&nav=0,1

Please use plain text.
dizl

My social app has never worked on my C7. Keep on giving me the" uninstall/re-install error". Have upgraded to Anna, but still nothing. Please help!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

before anna, my n8 like to restart every few hours.
after anna, it still like to restart but mayber longer duration.
and the phone seem to be doing heavy stuff background. when the phone ring, although the call screen show, i press answer, the phone just don't want to answer it. only after many press, then it answer the phone.
and sometime the email just don't want to sync, until i restart the phone manually.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

@ chunxi... Try app stop or ram blow pro to clean up background apps...
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
DixieFlatline

[ Edited ]

I've been away for a while and therefore didn't install Anna 1/2 on my N8 until today (still pondering on whether to install Anna 2/2).

So far, the positive experience is that the phone seems slightly more stable and faster.

On the negative side is:

* I got about half of my themes deleted (I don't understand why, especially since the ones that got installed along with Anna makes the menus look abhorrent)

* I got all my custom made folders deleted and all links to programs that I had organized in them are now placed directly under "program"

* Ovi Maps got bugged (it starts, and then either works or shut itself down directly after starting - seems to be random which occurs)

* The Anna 2/2 requires me to agree to the most bizarre EULA I've ever encountered from nokia before. Why do I have to agree to the use of Microsoft communicator in order to upgrade my phone? I have no interest in that program and I have no intention of ever using it. I do realize that it (most likely) is part of the quick office (which I don't use) - but why force me to an agreement I don't want and that isn't needed for a symbian upgrade (or is Anna partially owned by Microsoft? o_O)? Any such weird EULA should be prompted when I run the program for the first time, not when I try to install what is logged as "important update".

Anyone have any input on what happen if I never install Anna 2/2? Will I still be able to get all other important upgrades or do they require 2/2? Will I run into other errors later on if I only have 1/2? Since I do not agree to the EULA, I would rather not have to install the upgrade; but if my phone won't work properly without it, I have no choice but to agree.

Edit:

After posting this here, I read this article:

/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-Troubleshooting/td-p/1127953

in which I found FA135962 & FA136026, which imho pretty much declares that I'm forced to upgrade with 2/2 if I wish to have a properly working phone. Since I feel forced to agree, I dont see any other option than doing so and at the same crossing my fingers that none of the 3vil corporates behind the EULA will do something nasty to me (from my point of view, I'm pretty positive that such agreement cannot be legally binding since I have no choice but to accept it (or buy a new phone) - but still, should microsoft/nokia/whomever is behind feel that I misuse my phone, I can apparently get in trouble without having done anything other than buying a phone and using it as it was intended to be used (all I ever do is surf the web, listen to music (which I pay for), make phonecalls, use the gps and send sms; to continue to do that I must agree to the EULA of microsoft comunicator.....))

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

As far as I'm concerned the 2/2 update is important but contains useless applications. What I and many others have done is to install the update then simply un-install M$ Communicator. I've also removed Quickoffice, Adobe Reader LE and Shazam thus freeing up some 30 MB of space from my C: drive. The caveat to this is Ovi suite telling me that 1/2 and 2/2 is available as an update every time I connect my phone to Ovi suite on the PC. 

My personal pet hate with communicator is that it doesn't belong, by default on an N series phone. It's a business application so therefore belongs on an E series phone.

Cheers.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Matteo_1972

I am worried about the C space....it was not a lot before Anna, but now it is too low...I don't understand why with 16GB a lot of SW need to be installed necessarily on C drive! :smileysad:

andycoydwilson wrote:

Disappointed with space on C drive, down to 80Mb post update was 120mb prior. I deleted quickoffice, adobe reader and Microsoft communities as I rarely if ever use them and now have 100Mb. I am using maps 3.08 which is on C drive and I guess deleting this and using new default 3.06 would create more space but 3.08 is really cool (hope it graduates soon and integrated into Belle).

Other than this very grateful for Anna and enjoying the refreshed enhancements/improvements

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lybrinth

Please use plain text.