Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: So quite before the Next Generation Nokia Phon...

Counsellor

So quite before the Next Generation Nokia Phone !!

So quite before the Next Generation Nokia Phone !!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: So quite before the Next Generation Nokia Phone !!

thats because there is nothing nice to say about windows phones.i fear this is my last nokia and have already been priming myself towards a Possible switch to HTC and Android.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

have you seen videos on YouTube about the Windows Phone 7?
i find it beautiful.

you do realize that some HTC phones have Windows installed, right?

what's the point of going to Android if it only gets 2-3 updates only.

taken from a site.

As we count down the weeks till Gingerbread is released the majority of our audience has a phone with Android 2.1 or older and some of those devices will never see a software update again.

will you be satisfied if your device will get only 2 updates?

Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

pavilion_alex wrote:

have you seen videos on YouTube about the Windows Phone 7?
i find it beautiful.

you do realize that some HTC phones have Windows installed, right?

what's the point of going to Android if it only gets 2-3 updates only.

taken from a site.

As we count down the weeks till Gingerbread is released the majority of our audience has a phone with Android 2.1 or older and some of those devices will never see a software update again.

will you be satisfied if your device will get only 2 updates?

That's not correct.

Some android devices have seen many updates, many far more than windows phones have seen in the year they've been on the market.

My particular device (Xperia Arc) has seen several updates since March. It started on Gingerbread 2.3.2, it now has gingerbread 2.3.4 and is due to get 2.3.5 soon. But the most important part is those are just the updates to the core system, manufacturers can add/fix other things in updates that are unique to specific devices or brands.

My device has seen updates to it's apps, new widgets/apps, new themes, new social integration, even a new lock screen. It's actually had that many significant changes it's made it exciting to get a new update.  All that whilst remaining on the same android version, gingerbread 2.3.x. 

I'm extremely satisfied with my device that's seen three or four updates (two being major) in the last six to seven months.  Far more satisfied than when I was waiting as long for one major update for the N8!

Just like some Nokia devices some android devices do get stuck on older versions and don't see core (or feature) updates but it's the manufacturer and hardware that dictate this. You can't judge an entire OS based on that because it doesn't happen to every device.  I suggest you do a little bit of personal research before trying to use it to prove a point.

As for Nokia's windows phones i'm open to trying one since the mango update appeared. We'll find out just how good (or bad) those are next week when they are shown at Nokia World.  I look forward to personally trying one out on the 26th.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

After a couple of weeks playing with a mango'd LG optimus 7

I found the update alot beter than the original windows 7, the active tiles behave more like widgits and provide some useable information,

The Psudo multitasking is definatly an improvement over what was there before, tho it's still not up to anything like android, let alone symbian,

The people tile is an interesting way of combining phonebook and social apps, tho it's missing some basic functionality, and it can become congested (to better filtering options in mango)

Calendar is still very basic and missing to do's

Music player appears to have been downgraded from windows 7 (at least in the quality of the meta data it fetches from the web)

IE isn't a bad web browser, just supprised it doesn't support silverlight,

It's the lack of customisation options and the inabilty to get into the guts of the handset I couldn't live with tho,

it's a good os for mrs synth or anyone who likes technology to be simple and intuitive, but I'm one of those people who likes to tinker so looks like I'm waiting for HTC or Samsung to provide me with an Andriod that matches or betters the hardware features of my N8

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

"I'm waiting for HTC or Samsung to provide me with an Andriod that matches or betters the hardware features of my N8" Loughing out loud! Really funny... You mean what? RAM size, processor unit or display? Haven't you missed something?? Kinda SGSII or...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Mojitto wrote:
"I'm waiting for HTC or Samsung to provide me with an Andriod that matches or betters the hardware features of my N8" Loughing out loud! Really funny... You mean what? RAM size, processor unit or display? Haven't you missed something?? Kinda SGSII or...

Hardware features, not processor spec

Er 12mpx camera

HDMI output

FM transmitter,

USB on the go

Little things like that that I use every day,

The full aluminium case would be a bonus, along with the gorilla glass screen,

Whilst there at it, and being as it's supposed to be an improvement I'll take  NFC with full mobile wallet capability

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Mojitto

12 mpx is no point at all. Nobody uses it anymore.

SGS2 has HDMI output via adapter. In addition it offers perfect OTA connection with TV.

Me, I absolutely agree with the absence of FM transmitter. It's absolutely useless. The quality of transmission is disgusting as a rule. Better to include really cool and useful features or reduce the price.

SGS2 has USB on the go (cannot imagine what this can be for) and gorilla glass.

In addition it is much smarter, faster and - the most important - much more reliable. It is fully customisable and better supported.

Aluminum body, do you use it for breaking forest nuts or smthing? It seems to me stupid to sacrifice the weight of a device in favor of a pointless deco.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
carman58

I'm not denying that the SGSII is a fantastic phone, but the ludicrous statement that no one uses the 12mpxl camera any more is plainly not true ? Many people like the FM transmitter, and USB OTG is also a very useful feature, and raving about one phone against another is simply fan boyish !! I use both a Symbian^3 phone and an Android phone and I think it's nice that people have choice, it is in no way constructive to '**bleep** off' other peoples handsets or opinions, I find benefits and drawbacks with both as no system is perfect. 

However, getting back to the actual point of the thread, well not 'quite' but the intimation that things are quiet about the next generation of Nokia phones, if people actually read the tech press or do a little search on Twitter, there is quite a lot of discussion and rumour about Nokia releasing there first Windows OS phone, this will no doubt grow to a torrent approaching and during Nokia World, where I too hope to try one and really hopr to be impressed. Once a Nokia WP is released, no doubt a section will be started here on the forum for it, but as it doesn't actually, officially exist at the moment, that's 'quite' a good reason for the forum to be 'QUIET' anout it for the moment ?

Let's all wait and see, and hopefully, we'll all have something to be enthusiastic about in a week or so :smileyhappy:

If I have helped at all, a click on the White Star is always appreciated :

you can also help others by marking 'accept as solution:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

synth_fg wrote:

Mojitto wrote:

Hardware features, not processor spec

Er 12mpx camera

HDMI output

FM transmitter,

USB on the go

Little things like that that I use every day,

The full aluminium case would be a bonus, along with the gorilla glass screen,

Whilst there at it, and being as it's supposed to be an improvement I'll take  NFC with full mobile wallet capability

@ Synth_fg 

You may like to consider the new Motorola RAZR

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr-4273.php

It pretty much fits the bill in most areas except, no FM transmitter and only an 8 Mega pixel camera. But those are worthwhile trade offs  for all the other excellent features the phone offers.

It's also lacking an Aluminium body but has a Kevlar body instead. 

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arbaerinn

I have to admit that before the Anna update, I was really tired of mine N8.

- But now I´m using it a lot every day of the week,

-  The camera

-  The GPS

- The awesome T9 dictionary (typing) no other phone has this option.

- The outlook, gmail, hotmail

- The calendar.

There are many good phones out there, but Im so happy with my N8 and believe me, the coverage and battery is far better than other phones.  I have done some testing on this issue.

And the casing, no I´m not cracking nuts with it, but I´m operating in a very hostile environment, and the phone just takes it all !

Please use plain text.