Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Start a Petition to recall all Nokia N80 Phone...

Advisor

Re: Start a Petition to recall all Nokia N80 Phones

hosmos nsays:
As I see it if Nokia puts certain things in a phone like web browsing, fm radio, chat, music player..etc..it should put a battery that can cope with all of this not say oh you use the phone to listen to the radio that's why it runs out too fast...I am supposed to listen to the radio and browse....Why did I buy the expensive thing in the first place????
----------------------------------------------------------

Yes you are right there. Companies should be proactive especially when bringing out a new product. Therefore, your free to choose another phone company right?... So why not do so? Or maybe provide feedback to that company, so that next time they will get it right. I dont think phone companies can read minds...
Nokia N80 Pearl Black | v4.0623.0.41 | RM-92 | 68.01
Sydney, Australia
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
taffytafftaf

07-Sep-2006
05:07 PM
ydjalal wrote:
hosmos nsays:
As I see it if Nokia puts certain things in a phone like web browsing, fm radio, chat, music player..etc..it should put a battery that can cope with all of this not say oh you use the phone to listen to the radio that's why it runs out too fast...I am supposed to listen to the radio and browse....Why did I buy the expensive thing in the first place????
----------------------------------------------------------

Yes you are right there. Companies should be proactive especially when bringing out a new product. Therefore, your free to choose another phone company right?... So why not do so? Or maybe provide feedback to that company, so that next time they will get it right. I dont think phone companies can read minds...

People choose Nokia as it is a well known manufacturer,usually, known for delivering a brilliant product.
Also quite a fair bit of feedback is left here for Nokia so they almost certainly know about the issues around so they don't need to be mind readers. It is silly people saying that if you use it to listen to music or browse the web then that's why you only get 6hrs battery life. The phone is meant to do these things. Fair enough you can't expect it to last 8 days when you do but 6-12 hours for a low user of the battery hungry items is silly.
Is that an N95 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?!?

Life's too important to take seriously.
Nokias I've owned 3210, 3310, 6100, 7650, 6600, 6680, 6630, N80, N95
I'm a 26 year old boy BTW
Please use plain text.
Professor
bigguy

Sorry, cannot agree with product recall, I believe it is Nokia's obligation to correct the problems on people's handsets but, imho, recalls don't work, I remember my car being recalled once and it came back worse than before! This was because of the volume of work being carried out by the dealers, see where I'm coming from? It would be impossible to get all the handsets back in and then replaced, updates would be far better.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
taffytafftaf

07-Sep-2006
07:08 PM
bigguy wrote:
Sorry, cannot agree with product recall, I believe it is Nokia's obligation to correct the problems on people's handsets but, imho, recalls don't work, I remember my car being recalled once and it came back worse than before! This was because of the volume of work being carried out by the dealers, see where I'm coming from? It would be impossible to get all the handsets back in and then replaced, updates would be far better.

Yeah and wouldn't leave you without a phone. Just wish they were a bit faster coming out.
Is that an N95 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?!?

Life's too important to take seriously.
Nokias I've owned 3210, 3310, 6100, 7650, 6600, 6680, 6630, N80, N95
I'm a 26 year old boy BTW
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

im sure it will all be there eventually.

i would imagine there is a lot going on in nokia towers right now - what with all the new updates etc.
Please use plain text.
Sage

I wonder what sort of functionality testing Nokia did on the N80. I don't mean reliability testing, I mean; did they give the phone to representative members of the market segment that they were aiming at for the N80, or, did they just give it to phone testers?

Getting a representative test is always hard work, as the saying goes, only a true end user tests as they come up with inventive ways of using things that the developers didn't think of.

In this case I guess they didn't anticipate such a heavy use of the smartphone features and heavy use of the mmc card, all of which drains the battery fast.

But this is only a guess.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

It is just disappointing to me that owners of the n80 will(????) or so it seems wont be able to upgade their n80 to n80i
this is a bit unreasonable of nokia
its not to say a year has gone by the n80 was working correctly and then they(nokia) decided that hey lets do the n80i
its more of the n80 is giving so much probs lets not fix the n80 but release a new replica of it with improvements altogether
which to me is wrong cause the n80i is the n80 that we all should have gotten from the beginning!!!!!!
and it seems we wont be able to upgrade from n80 to n80i....
can someone shed some light on this for me?????
Please use plain text.
Advisor

in response to roberth.

As far as I have been advised, there is NO N80i.
It is just a rumour going around.

Apple WILL release some kind of "iPhone" early in 2007, together with a new range of iPods, and it will be Apple branded.

Nokia has no plans of converging iTunes with their phone.
I'll give you a tip, Nokia is working on their own "Nokia Music" handset, featuring its own website you can download tracks from...
Keep an eye out.
Nokia N80 Pearl Black | v4.0623.0.41 | RM-92 | 68.01
Sydney, Australia
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

yes, if you keep an eye out you will actually be able to read the press release on the n80 internet edition...

no, we dont deserve a free upgrade to this phone - it has already been covered in the n80 internet edition phone thread.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

so seraphim what you are saying is that n80 owners dont deserve to be updated to the n80i(internet edition)? hmmmmmm maybe not the internet edition but at least a comprehensive working nokia n80 i think its just a matter that people want what they paid for ie what the phone was initially stated to be able to have done alot of people here fell "hard up" by paying so much money for a "brick"
my solution to this n80 fiasco is all n80 users agree to one person who will contact nokia about the troubles and owners concerns...it makes no sense 20 of us everyday complaining about the same problem to nokia...there is strength...not in numbers but in unified numbers
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

the only part of that i understood was this:

08-Sep-2006
07:24 AM
roberth wrote:
so seraphim what you are saying is that n80 owners dont deserve to be updated to the n80i(internet edition)?

no, we dont deserver a free upgrade. we bought the n80 when it came out because we wanted the phone - not because we knew a different version was being released a few months later. we had no idea that this model was due to be released, and when we got the n80 first time round, no one said "hey, there will be a new one out at the end of the year - of course you will get a free upgrade for it".

nonsense.

but of course, the thing that will please most people is new firmware. in the latest, it has ota updates built in. so once you get that all you need to do is check for a new update every now and then, all sorted. and i am sure it will be compatible with the updater soon.

i really fail to see what the fuss is right now - so many people here say they have v4 and it works ok now. just go get it updated this once - after that you can do it yourself!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

also, just one small point - why doesnt every n80 customer complain about battery life i wonder?

i mean, i have no problems, and others here mention they have no problems...
Please use plain text.
Sage

08-Sep-2006
07:39 AM
seraphim wrote:
also, just one small point - why doesn't every n80 customer complain about battery life i wonder?

i mean, i have no problems, and others here mention they have no problems...

I think that would come down to usage patterns. When I first got the N80 I made a lot of use of the music player and browsing facilities. I had the WLAN feature switched on as well. Result, BIG PROBLEMS with battery life.

I now hardly use these features, which is a shame as it was one of the main reasons for getting the N80. Result; battery life is OK (not great I hasten to add, just acceptable).

I may go back to the highly dissatisfied ranks at some stage; another reason I got the phone was for some web based apps, but they don't work on the 617 level code I currently use (and I cant afford the time out to trek to a service centre at the moment). So if v4 fixes the web apps problems, and that hits battery life in a big way, then I will become dissatisfied again.

To be honest, I don't see the fuss about the N80i except that some folks will always want to have the latest and greatest versions of things. If you look at the features that are included with the "i", they are all ones that will drain the battery even quicker, causing even more dissatisfaction. So, unless the N80i comes with a larger capacity battery, I for one will stay well clear of it. If it DOES have a larger capacity battery, then it should be able to work in the "normal" N80. No doubt the "extra" software features will be available as downloads anyhow.

One last thought, years ago IBM said that on AVERAGE there was one bug (feature you hope is not in the next release) for every 1000 lines of code. Granted that was some time ago and for their software at the time, but if you look at the software/firmware that is available today this premise is probably still more or less right. Therefore, the more complex the features, the more code, the more bugs. Second, the more features, the more interaction between features, the more chance of the testers nightmare; timing related bugs.

The only time Nokia will recall a product is if the hardware is demonstrated to be faulty in a way as to cause a danger to the public (raised blood pressure caused by bugs and poor battery life don't count).

If anyone has a problem with the advertising, then go to Trading Standards, but before they do, my observation is that the figures for battery life that Nokia published are accurate. It's the numbers that were not published that causes the problems(and I don't know if they even compiled them), that is "battery life using music player or WLAN or other smartphone features".
Please use plain text.
Sage

08-Sep-2006
07:39 AM
seraphim wrote:
also, just one small point - why doesnt every n80 customer complain about battery life i wonder? i mean, i have no problems, and others here mention they have no problems...

I reckon it must be because most other users are so evil and plain dumb, and most probably make it up just because they don't like Nokia -don't you think? Anyway, if it works for you, it must obviously work for everyone else -that's the kind of logic that we use here.

On the other hand, it could be a combination of choice of default settings, user set settings (ill adviced due to non-existent advice, perhaps) and network coverage issues. Usage patterns probably could make a difference too.

Please use plain text.
Sage

08-Sep-2006
07:30 AM
seraphim wrote:
the only part of that i understood was this:

08-Sep-2006
07:24 AM
roberth wrote:
so seraphim what you are saying is that n80 owners dont deserve to be updated to the n80i(internet edition)?

no, we dont deserver a free upgrade. we bought the n80 when it came out because we wanted the phone - not because we knew a different version was being released a few months later.

I think you are trying to say that we can't expect an update? That is not the same as not "deserving" one. I feel that users who have to put up with non-functioning expensive stuff certainly deserve compensation from Nokia -whatever that might be.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

[ Edited ]
Ok,

I am closing this post. Once again, an open ended issue like this has turned into a thread where anyone with a problem has decided to chip in here. This has gone way off topic and is not very constructive - not all posts though, there are some good things discussed here. But this will become confusing to people searching through looking for help with their N80.

If you wish to discuss the N80 Internet Edition, please post on the thread running on this topic. If you wish to discuss batteries, please post on the thread that is already running on batteries.

If you would like to discuss any new topics, feel free to create a new thread.

If you have a problem with your Nokia product and would like to discuss it with our support teams, please visit www.nokia.com/support for details on your nearest Nokia contact centre. The support teams there will be able to assist you and record any feedback you may have on our products.

If you think you have a faulty phone that needs repairing, please visit www.nokia.com/repair for the nearest Nokia Engineer to you.

Cheers
-
Karim

Message Edited by karim on 08-Sep-2006
10:02 AM

Please use plain text.