Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Static background noise with Nokia N8 when headpho...

kikafika321

Static background noise with Nokia N8 when headphones plugged in

Hi,

Ever since I got the N8 I noticed a static background noise that is especially perceptible between songs or quieter songs and during calls. It is quite annoying. And it is surprising to see such an issue in a $400 phone. Fortunately I noticed that if I turned the screen off (i.e locked the phone) the ticking sound would go away. That is until I upgraded from Symbian Anna to Belle. Now even when I turn off the screen the noise is still there. Nokia's proposed solution was to use the poor-quality headphones included with the phone. Why would I want to use those if I have good quality in-the-ear Creative headphones? I can't really afford to go out and buy dozens of headphones to see which ones might work either. And frankly I don't see why I should if it is a hardware problem.

Clearly it is an issue with the phone not the headphones because with Symbian Anna I was able to eliminate the problem and listen to music without the static by switching off the screen. I do not hear the static noise when using Bluetooth headphones, so it has something to do with the heaphone jack (and potentially the screen).

Here are related posts on the issue:

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-background-noise-problem-with-Philips-SHE9850/td-p/772777

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-Rattling-noise-when-listening-with-headphones/m-p/803235#M236...

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so how to remedy this problem? Could it just be that there is an issue with the build of my phone and that other N8s work fine with quality in-the-ear headphones? What quality heaphones have people been using?

Please use plain text.