Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Suggestions for 808 PureView and Symbian Belle

Advisor
Jainendra

Suggestions for 808 PureView and Symbian Belle

[ Edited ]

Hi friends,

I am a proud owner of astounding (and worst marketed extra-ordinary device) 808 PureView. Biggest compliment to it is that it has replaced my SGS2. Yes, truly.

After using 808 for some time now I am quite happy but disappointed with certain things. Few things are so minor that I am surprised why Nokia removed it or didnt implement.

So here I am presenting a list of things which I would request Nokia to fix or implement. I will also request all of you here to add to the list so that Nokia gets a direct feedback and can improve the device and software. Thanks !

Camera:

1. Slow shutter speeds

2. Full resolution in various Scenes modes

3. Pics with AutoFlash mostly comes dark in edges in Indoors

4. Slightly faster Auto-Focus with soft shutter button

Gallery:

(I know about other thread but this is a consolidated list)

1. Batch functions (send, share)

2. Albums

3. Folders

4. Tabbed interface (All, Images, Videos)

5. Sort by Date, Name, Type, Size, Location, etc.

6. Send via NFC option (everybody does not read Manual :smileywink:)

7. Ability to trim parts of video (and to join parts, if possible)

Contacts:

1. Labels please !!!

2. Thumbnail view (atleast in Groups)(could be first-ever. Android has partial implementation)

3. Contacts with latest Social updates(tweets or Facebook activities) to come second-top after Favourites (convenient and another first)(switch on-off from Settings)

4.  Additional Tab in Contact's view showing all communication with him/her (Calls, E-mails and Messages)

5. Another optional Tab showing his/her last 5 Social updates

Messaging:

1. Tabbed interface (Conversations/Folders/(optionally) E-Mails)

2. Forward icon alongside Reply icon

3. Individual Contact's SMS\Email tone (such a little but practical feature)

Telephony:

1. Detailed Call log (Settings>Extended View)

2. Video Call button

E-Mail:

1. E-Mail Popups (probably with Reply option)

2. Cleaner tabbed interface

3. Pinch-to-Zoom and Wrap function

4. Archive option in GMail mails

5. Go to next email after deleting and not the Inbox (its really annoying)

Videos:

1. Large Thumbnail option

2. Better support for Matroska (mkv)

3. Better subtitle support (black fonts???)

4. Options for Brightness and Contrast

Music Player:

1. Folders Tab

2. Editable equaliser

I again request to provide suggestions and I will add them in OP (with your name). Lets help Nokia make great OS and Product even better. And in my experience, they have always seriously listened to their customers and brought the improvements.

Good Luck !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it's unlikely that you will see any fixes or changes as the operating system is an end of life product with the 808 being the final symbian phone. Symbian has been wound down and is now in maintenance mode which means that if it does receive any future firmware updates they will only be for major bug fixes, not adding features to the OS.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jainendra

@psychomania

In that case Nokia should be ready to lose huge number of loyal customers. Don't expect us to get 'forced' into WP. There are choices.

At this sensitive point Nokia needs to create and maintain its loyal customers for future sales.

I, for one, would never buy another Nokia if they disappoint me with support of current device. Scondly, the improvements that I have listed are quite easy to implement.

I am optimistic. And I understand the potential of Symbian :smileyhappy:

Lets hope Nokia wouldn't disappoint us :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Nokia announced that symbian was coming to an end almost two years ago so it should be of no surprise to anyone that it's future is now extremely limited.

Symbian no longer has any potential as it is essentially been abandoned due to rapidly declining sales and little interest from end users and retailers. There won't be a turnaround on this as Nokia has already ditched it's symbian staff.

If you are unhappy or feel cheated in any way then you should submit your complaint to Nokia through the correct channels. Also Nokia isn't forcing anyone into using WP, you are free to choose any current OS or brand you want, symbian was simply no longer a viable mass market product.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jainendra

1. (a) Despite that announcement 808 PureView was released last year.

(b) Symbian Belle was renamed Nokia Belle and is currently at FP2.

2. (a) Regarding sales potential please have a look HERE and HERE. Don't attribute failure of management and bad policy's failures to Symbian. It kept Nokia on Top for decades and was still going strong.

(b) Regarding Technical potential, I can write a whole article. Anyways even you understand that Symbian is a very powerful and 'mature' platform. Ask Android/iOS/WP8 to support 41mp Camera.

3. I have already placed my feedback to their CCE and he promised that he is forwarding my 'valuable feedback' to the concerned Departments right now. "We appreciate people coming forward and providing us with honest feedback". Sounded quite good. Lets see.

No, as yet, I don't feel cheated but expect Nokia's high standards of support for my investment and product.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Was only giving you the facts, if you don't beleive it read this article from on of the major tech blogs: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/nokia-officially-pulls-the-plug...  Also check out Nokia's developers forum for further confirmation.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but facts are facts, the device you have now is as it is, the only way you'll improve it is through third party apps and updates to the built in apps. It's irrelevant the potential that you think symbian may have as the decision was made long ago and cannot be reversed.

The only support you'll get from Nokia for it is that they will honour warranties, keep support articles on their site, provide repair and reflash services and possibly update some of the built in apps.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jainendra

[ Edited ]

This time I agree with most of what you've said except THIS

But let me whisper you a secret belief of mine - I believe Symbian will make a powerful comeback a little later (for good of Nokia) :smileywink:

Anyways, everything apart how did you like the suggestions as for the platform ? Will appreciate your learned opinion and may be additional suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Personally your suggestions seem valid and ok to me but i've long since moved on to Windows Phone and much prefer the user experience on those devices over any of the many symbian's i've owned.

Whilst symbian will never come back it is always possible that a completely new Nokia made OS will appear in the future. Tech moves quick and Nokia have finally realised this.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

psychomania wrote:

Unfortunately it's unlikely that you will see any fixes or changes as the operating system is an end of life product with the 808 being the final symbian phone. Symbian has been wound down and is now in maintenance mode which means that if it does receive any future firmware updates they will only be for major bug fixes, not adding features to the OS.

I may not necessarily agree with the title of the article, however it seems that Nokia have made a clarification on the meaning of "maintenance mode".

http://www.dailymobile.net/2012/10/18/wait-symbian-is-not-dead-yet/

Please use plain text.
Advisor
pirast

You have good ideas, and I have another really important one.

As Google is discontinuing Google Sync for S60 (ActiveSync): http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=de&answer=2716936

Our devices have to support CardDAV and CalDAV in order to continue to be able to sync contacts/calendars with Google. That would be an appreciated feature.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jainendra

I am not getting able to edit my first post now. Why ?

Want to add suggestion by pirast to OP.

Please use plain text.
LucaM120

[ Edited ]

I agree with your suggestions. :smileywink:

I can add (sorry for my poor english):

Camera:

5. FULL Shutter priority mode (with auto/manual ISO)

6. Flash EV Compensation

7. (Hardware) Image Stabilization with low light

8. better White Balance..more options..

9. square (1:1) and 3:2 modes

10. higher FPS available with low res videos

Messaging:

4. More smart use of Words Suggestions in T9 Mode

(in Italian...i want to write "ON" and i touch ONLY the 6 button two times, but sometimes it suggests "NO" and/or longer words like "ONLY","NOBODY","NOTHING"...but not "ON"!! (In Italian language, i don't know if it does the same in English!)
5. In conversation or with Whatsapp, in horizontal mode with QUERTY and Words Suggestions enabled, it's impossible to read the last messages during writing.

6. much smaller text option

Telephony:

4. more notifications on notification bar

5. improve social network apps and connections between gallery / notification bar and them

Thank you Nokia, i like my 808  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jainendra

@LucaM

Wow...quite good ones there although I must confess I did not understand many of Camera suggestions. Need to Google :smileywink: When knowledgable people like you come forward changes can happen.

Arrgghh...still can't edit. Mods, plz have a look.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Most higher end Symbian users will not move to WP phones. They will go to Android. That's where all the fashionable development is taking place. Google for Oppo Finder or Oppo Find 5 for example.

It's a real shame that Nokia has thrown away what they had, under Elop.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Jainendra wrote:

Arrgghh...still can't edit. Mods, plz have a look.

Thanks!

Nothing to look at, you can only edit your post within a certain period of time after posting. I think it is 1 hour, if I am not mistaken.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
808PV

My suggestions-

1. Email notification like with missed calls or sms on the lockscreen.

2. Video editor, a proper one like on the N8.

3. Photo editor, again like the N8.

4. Camera noise fix, lots of digital noise on the right side of the screen when taking pics in darker conditions without flash, something is interfering, maybe a hardware issue?????

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

The biggest Belle bug, in fact the only significant Belle bug I know of, is not being able to select a number of pics (in Gallery) and email them all in one go.

In FP1 you could multiple select but the email app usually crashed, leaving orphaned files which ate up free c: space and could be cleaned up only on a hacked phone.

In FP2 they "fixed" this by removing the mark multiple option except for deletion :smileywink: But the email app still crashes, most of the time. The only way to email attachments over about 500kbytes is to create the email first and then attach the pics to it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jainendra

Thanks for all the cool suggestions. Keep them coming. At least by this Nokia would know what customers really want. A direct feedback.
Please use plain text.
LucaM120

[ Edited ]

Nokia thank you for last updates..the 808 is quite perfect now!!

Let's update some last suggestion for Nokia :smileywink:

Camera:

1. Slow shutter speeds / FULL Shutter priority mode (with flash and auto/manual ISO....i'm not able to use flash with high ISO and slow shutter speeds)

2. Full resolution or 12MP / 8MP resolution in various Scenes modes

3. Pics with AutoFlash mostly comes dark in edges in Indoors

4. Slightly faster Auto-Focus with soft shutter button

5. Flash EV Compensation

7. (Hardware) Image Stabilization with low light

8. better White Balance..more options..

9. square (1:1) and 3:2 modes

10. higher FPS available with low res videos

11. Camera noise fix, lots of digital noise on the right side of the screen (purple cast) when taking pics in darker conditions without flash, something is interfering..

12. nedd much better performance for the CAF in video mode, it doesn't work on FP2

13. Lumia photo tools / add-ons: Cinemagraph lens, Smart Shoot lens, Panorama lens, Bing vision..

Gallery:

1. Albums / Folders

2. Tabbed interface (All, Images, Videos)

3. Sort by Date, Name, Type, Size, Location, etc.

4. Send via NFC option (everybody does not read Manual )

5. Ability to trim parts of video (and to join parts, if possible...improve VideoPRO please..audio editing!)

6. Improve PHOTO Editing too, more controls (light/shadows, sharpness, fixed ratio for photo crop like 3:2 and 1:1, blur control..)

Contacts:

1. Labels please !!!

2. Thumbnail view (atleast in Groups)(could be first-ever. Android has partial implementation)

3. Contacts with latest Social updates(tweets or Facebook activities) to come second-top after Favourites (convenient and another first)(switch on-off from Settings)

4.  Additional Tab in Contact's view showing all communication with him/her (Calls, E-mails and Messages)

5. Another optional Tab showing his/her last 5 Social updates

Messaging:

1. Tabbed interface (Conversations/Folders/(optionally) E-Mails)

2. Forward icon alongside Reply icon

3. Individual Contact's SMS\Email tone (such a little but practical feature)

4. More smart use of Words Suggestions in T9 Mode..priority for shorter words!

(in Italian...i want to write "ON" and i touch ONLY the 6 button two times, but sometimes it suggests "NO" and/or longer words like "ONLY","NOBODY","NOTHING"...but not "ON"!! (In Italian language, i don't know if it does the same in English!)
5. In conversation or with Whatsapp, in horizontal mode with QUERTY and Words Suggestions enabled, it's impossible to read the last messages during writing.

6. much smaller text option

7. in conversation view, the letter icon and the notification of a new message doesn't disapppear if you've only read the sms, without giving a reply! I suggest that a tap on the yellow letter icon on the right in conversation mode will change the sms status from unread to read :smileywink:

Telephony:

1. Detailed Call log (Settings>Extended View)

2. Video Call button

4. more notifications on notification bar

5. improve social network apps and connections between gallery / notification bar and them

E-Mail:

1. E-Mail Popups (probably with Reply option)

2. Cleaner tabbed interface

3. Pinch-to-Zoom and Wrap function

4. Archive option in GMail mails

5. Go to next email after deleting and not the Inbox (its really annoying)

6. Email notification like with missed calls or sms on the lockscreen.

Videos:

1. Large Thumbnail option

2. Better support for Matroska (mkv)

3. Better subtitle support (black fonts???)

4. Options for Brightness and Contrast

Music Player:

1. Folders Tab

2. Editable equaliser

LET'S GO!! :thumbup:

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

Especially now that the new email app imposes a 15.3MB maximum attachment size, one cannot email multiple pictures usefully. It would be good to have an option (preconfigured - not something you have to choose every time) to reduce emailed jpegs to say 1024 pixels wide, like M$ Outlook offers.

Nokia still haven't fixed the email app bug where it crashes if trying to email pictures, using the Send / Email function. The crash happens less often but still happens. The result is that the attempted email ends up in Drafts.

Another one is unlimited SMS retries. Presently the phone throws away the message after about 3 retries (leaves it in Drafts I think). Replacing the DLL which is responsible for this useless functionality is one of the most popular reasons for hacking the phone.

Another is improving the focus speed and general focus performance on the 808 camera. The camera delivers great quality but is usable only really with static subjects where you have time to set it up. If you use the 808 as a point and shoot camera (say pics of people) half the pics are drastically out of focus. Also the CAF mode doesn't really work in videos. The present 808 camera is great for long distance stuff (e.g. landscapes) where you have time and where focus is not important. If you look at 808 pics which people post all over the web, virtually all of them are of static subjects. People don't post pics which are out of focus :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.