Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian vs. Windows Phone poll

Contributor
SethL82

Symbian vs. Windows Phone poll

I was excited at first about the new Lumia line, and anxious to try out Windows Mango.  After having used it, I much prefer my N8 with Belle!  I have been using Symbian since I got my first Nokia which was a 9300 Communicator.  Please Nokia, don't abandon our beloved OS!!  Weaknesses aside, I love it!  How does everyone else feel about this?  Please reply with your preference...Symbian or Windows?

Secondary to that, I have used my fm transmitter religiously for years and was happy to see that you included that feature on my next phone, the 808.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

[ Edited ]

Seth

We all love Symbian and have grown fond with it. Nokia has to move forward. Windows phone are here to stay. Symbian will be discarded to die natural ,like S40 was discarded when S60 came around.

Over time we will accept the change and move on

Cheers

If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.
Sage
shamsi_boy

i love symbian and now Accenture has proved it that symbian can be built very well but nokia doesnt want to.windows doesnt has homescreens or widgets or wide app and game variety.symbian has that all.i love symbian.from my very first phone till now,i have been using symbian.symbian can be developed very well .these are just lame excuses that the 1st generation belle phones have low spec. hardware.i dont believe it.the iphone 3gs has relatively low hardware spec. than these phone but it is continuously getting good updates e-g. ios 5.1 .nokia doesn't want to loose the market and thats the reason why nokia isnt preparing good updates for these [hones.nokia wants to sale new handsets like 701 etc.even the 808 handset is not a big deal!its just for the time pass.nobody will like such a physically thick nd heavy phone.nokia please!!do good with symbian and then release new handsets.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'm with Babdi on this one. As much as I like Symbian, it has come to the end if it's useful life and will be finished by 2016. Windows Phone OS is the future and will eventually evolve into an OS that will appeal to a wider audience.

There are some high ranking members on this forum (Psychomania, Carman58 and Jimmyireland) that have adopted the new Lumia phones and they are very happy with them.

For me, my N8 will be my last Symbian phone and I may very well get a Lumia in the near future.

It's also worth noting that sales of Symbian phones have been pretty poor recently so there won't be any chance that Nokia change their minds and keep Symbian going past 2016.

All the best. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
graceboy9

If x and y likes a phone then is it necessary all the other a and b must also have to like it.Will there be a company called nokia on this planet after 2016. Neither their camera nor window will rescue them.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jlscott777

Being a hardware designer the most important thing to me is the quality of the hardware which is why I decided on the N8, to me the OS is irrelevant as long as it provides me with what I want which Symbian does.  I am sure I will upgrade me N8 to the 808 when it becomes available on Amazon and will stick to symbian for at least the next 4 years, unless of course in that time Nokia comes up with something really fantastic with WP8.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

Hey, of course sales of Symbian phones are dropping like a rock. , most people would be smart enough to spend their money elsewhere.

As to Symbian vs. Windows, until Nokia comes out with a Windows phone that at least does what the N8 can do (let alone what the new Samsung phones can do), it's not a fair comparison. Symbian might be old, but if it's not messed up with Belle, it works very nicely. It's not just the phone - it's what you can do with the phone.

Who knows - maybe Accenture will start selling new and improved versions of the operating systems for an N8.

Moderators notes: Factually inaccurate information removed.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

People resisted Windows when it was introduced and were unwilling to move from DOS. Today 90% of the computers run on Windows.The same happened with Windows Vista.People moved to Windows 7.

Change is permanent :smileyhappy:

If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dioni87

i think,nokia discarding/abandon symbian is a wrong way/decision...as we now nokia grow big is because of symbian...let see,nokia use windows for moving forward by discarding symbian in the midle of OS batle with android and ios. Did nokia do survey why people turn to android???why maemo and meego dont take enough market???learn it..thats make your symbian user disapointed,and maybe turn to other OS(thats mean outside nokia)...im disapointed too,hear from my friend that symbian is dead.But im not abandon/discarding the mobile os that see me grow up that help me connecting people...
now people mind is set up to android(like all my friend) because what?because its upgradable,full of app,and interactive ads...thats people thinking now
nokia 1208 connecting people
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Maybe possibilities with windows/phone is much better than symbian?
Windows should prove this.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Well I have used lumia 710 and I must say that it is 100 years into the future compared to Belle and Android etc. But it wins in all application ui but not in it's operating system ui, mainly menu and application list.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Advisor
MJI1962

Our company phones are mainly N8s, we have decided next time we change to go to Android

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Subodh01

Got the so called new LUMIA 800... Its so restricted and so difficult to use !

dint want the android or the ios, so invested in windows trusting nokia !

no way man, symbian is wayyy better than this phone. I think its jus t a Nokia replica of the iphone. Same restrictions with the ios, but on ios, there are many more free apps than nokia. Well microsoft is completly money related company so should had expected this.

I think why symbian went down is because the pieces were so overpriced ! E7 is arround 21k still, and my lumia is 23k, with a much faster config !

I am actually thinking of changing my phone to E7 in one month of using this Lumia 800.... Thought, would rather use the E7 till it lasts, cause no way in the future i am going for nokia... got a bad feeling for windows now !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

23,000 INR (£266) seems a decent price for the Lumia, especially when you consider the price of the iPhone 4s is 42,000 INR (£487).

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Subo

Go for Nokia 701 Belle instead. Iy is really overall some kind of a big step up for being a symbian. I do recomend it.
Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dioni87

nokia 701 not available in Indonesia :smileysad:....now just use the best of nokia with very old os,nokia 1208 connecting people
nokia 1208 connecting people
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bryanmilanez

Hello everyone,I own a Nokia N97 mini and i love it,but i feel very left behind,of all these new handsets,And I WANT SYMBIAN.Wish that Nokia Will Read this,Im still hoping for A New update...All of them are ok with those WP,Android or whatever..but how about A MIDDLE-CLASS Person like me...They Can't afford such phones like that....Please Nokia Don't Drop Symbian...Symbian makes your company UP and don't just put it away....We All Symbian Users Have A BIG HOPE...PLEASE DON'T LET US DOWN...HOPE THAT NOKIA READ THIS.THANKS
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dradel

I vote for Symbian. I have no desire for a Windows phone, iPhone or an Android. None whatsoever.

I love my Nokia 700 (Symbian Belle). I really hope that Nokia keep producing phones like this. The hardware is stunning, the phone is a perfect size (i.e. small), and the Symbian Belle OS is great.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akash_satpathi

I also vote for Symbian.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

babdi wrote:like S40 was discarded when S60 came around.

S40 discarded ?! What planet are you on ? What is the new Asha series running on then ? And before you embarass yourself any further - S40 is NOT Symbian.

Please use plain text.