Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

TV-Out feature in Nokia Phones

Contributor
nabs

TV-Out feature in Nokia Phones

Hello,

I was about to buy Nokia N79 or Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, and came to know that the TV out feature has been removed from most of the Nokia phones except higher end ones.

I was in despair because this feature was really a important for me and made me shortlist aforesaid two devices that were  in my budget.

I searched and found out that this is due to shortage of some hardware components....!!!!

So, I wanted to know that whether TV-Out function has permanently been removed or it will again be available when the necessare hardware components are available?????

Any idaes how much time should I need to wait for this feature to come back again???

..thanks n regards-----

nabs

Mobile Guru
sockatume

Re: TV-Out feature in Nokia Phones

[ Edited ]

As far as I known only the 5800 was affected by this. If the box doesn't have the sticker about the TV Out components being removed, the handset hasn't been affected.

Message Edited by sockatume on 16-Nov-2009 10:05 AM
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

[ Edited ]

From what I've understood is that the removal of the tv-out (and the TV-out cable) in some Nokia phones was a temporary issue caused by a lack in the supply of the necessary components.

It affected a few Nokia models that were manufactured during August this year. Nokia 5800 was one of the affected models but to my knowledge the Nokia N79 was not.

The label in the sales package ( and the salesperson! ) should definitely mention if the TV-out is missing from that particular device. I don't know how this affects the price of the device but please ask that from the shop.

Message Edited by vandelay on 16-Nov-2009 11:05 AM

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
vandelay

And here's the list: only a limited number of device models Nokia 6220 classic, Nokia 3600 slide, Nokia 6500 slide,  Nokia 7610 Supernova, Nokia 7310 Supernova and Nokia 5800 were affected by the component shortage for a short time period.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Contributor
nabs

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am sure that TV Out has been removed from N79 too, I am from India, although the box does not specifies whether this function has been removed still all 'Nokia Priority Dealers' and local vendors in my city and neighbouring city says that Nokia N79(and Nokia 5800) now does not comes with TV Out.

And yes their prices have been reduced.

Does this mean the feature has permanently been removed????

I also tried calling Nokia India Helpline (080-30303838), but they said they have no information regarding TV Out.

Message Edited by nabs on 16-Nov-2009 02:06 PM
vandelay

Thanks for that nabs, I will try to find out if there's any updated information about this issue. The list I have received did not mention the N79. At the moment I can only say that to my understanding this is not a permanent removal, and it only affects a limited number of devices that were manufactured in August.

Contributor
nabs

Thanks vandelay, kindly keep me updated me on this issue.

I'll wait n watch, but cant wait too long, I need a new phone soon (am currently using Nokia 6630).

vandelay

Update: Nokia has confirmed that the TV-out component shortage is no longer an issue. The sales packages from where the functionality was missing were labeled with a sticker indicating this. If the sales package does not have the sticker, and the functionality is part of the regular feature set in any given device, then the functionality should exist.

Naturally there may still be devices that were manufactured without the TV-out sold in some stores around the world.

Also, the N79 was never affected by this.

However, at least in Europe, there is no TV-out cable included in the sales package so you'll need to get a separate cable:

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n79/tech-specs#package-sspc

Contributor
nabs

Thank you vandelay for updating, but believe me atleast in India N79 was also affected by TV-out component shortage and is no longer available with this feature, however I'll check with local dealers and Nokia Priority Dealers again.

Also purchasing TV-out cable seperatly or any other accesories is no problem for me. Just want the phone..

Registered Member

Hi there,

I've been thinking about this for a while - I have a Nokia 6220 classic with the Nokia Maps and GPS etc and use it a lot for its GPS voice navigation facilities whilst driving.

Its not bad, but thinking about whether I could get a bigger screen.

So could I use the TV-Out feature (I seem to have the function on the menu's, and would need to buy a TV-Out cable as one didn't come with the unit) connected to an in car Monitor to solve the problem.

Thanks James

Mobile Guru
sockatume

No reason why that wouldn't work, provided that the monitor had the right video jacks on the back.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

HI That small sticker is the only hint to the problem, Nokia careline did not even know about the problem,  we have been ripped off plain and simple. I will never support Nokia in my life again and know of quite a few people who will not either, It is disgusting to get an answer like the one below from such a big company.

Imagine the next car you buy and in an accident the airbags dont deploy because they were not fitted due to a power failure. or your spare wheel is missing or the radio does not work. And then oh sorry we put some stupid little sticker under the dashboard where you cant see it. Go to hell Nokia, I will support cheep chinese knockoffs and copies of your product rather than spend my money on your ^%$ again. I am sick and tired of being ripped off by big business.

What are people going to do if there phones need replacing due to damage/failure/theft etc. absolutely disgusting Nokia

Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for emailing Nokia Careline.

Due to a severe power-outage in our sub-supplier’s factory, we are
experiencing a shortage with a TV-out component in August, 2009. As a
result, this component shortage will affect a limited number of devices
during this manufacturing period.

We are currently looking into ways with which we can minimize the effect on
devices and ensure seamless deliveries. However, there is a possibility that
certain products in the Live and Connect categories will experience changes
in terms of functionality (TV-out not available) and sales package contents
(TV-out cable not included in variants that regularly would contain one)
during this manufacturing period. For the most part, the key features in
these devices are not related to the TV-out functionality.

We will inform consumers about the missing feature with a sticker on the
sales package and a leaflet inside the sales package. Individuals who wish
to ensure that their model supports TV-out feature should check the sales
package. Those without the sticker or leaflet will continue to offer the
feature. We expect that relevant sales packages delivered to the channel in
September will all have the feature.

Customer satisfaction and product quality are very important to Nokia and we
take all quality and customer satisfaction-related issues seriously.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact
the Nokia Careline on 08611-66-542, between 9am and 6pm (local time),
Monday - Saturday. For online assistance, please visit
http://www.nokia.com/mea/contactus.

“Keep your phone software up-to-date by using the Nokia Software Updater.
For more details visit Nokia Support and software at
http://mea.nokia.com/support#. You can also go online to find user guides,
troubleshooting support and other services to help you use your Nokia
product”

Kind regards,

Tony O’Ryan
Nokia Careline
Nokia Middle East & Africa

Message Edited by lkluyts on 25-Nov-2009 01:33 PM
Mobile Guru
sockatume

[ Edited ]

I don't think you can compare a missing TV-out function to a non-deploying airbag, nor blame Nokia for your retailer's failure to point out that he was selling you the TV-less variant (which should've been marked by a clear sticker on the front of the box, and details inside).

If you needed the TV out, take it back to the retailer and get them to swap you for a full-feature one.

Message Edited by sockatume on 25-Nov-2009 01:43 PM
Contributor

[ Edited ]

sockatume

you are absolutely right, i cant compare the two, but i can blame Nokia for the problem as the Nokia care centre in South Africa did not know about the missing feature( recorded phone call to a man named Tariq at nokia care) if you would like times and dates i can provide. I was contacted by a senior Nokia representative on Monday 16 November (also a recorded conversation) who also did not know about the problem, so now you explain how the retailer or consumer should know about the missing feature? In my country you may not open a box before purchase so why put a leaflet inside a sealed package?

I dont know where you live but there is no leaflet inside or a sticker on front of the box, there is however a very small sticker almost unreadable on the back of the box.(smaller than the fine print) The phone was sent to me via postage so I had no oppertunity to inspect the package but based my purchase on many sites advertisng the specs of the phone.( no mention of a possible feature left out)

Yes I am fighting the retailer as they are the middle man but they are not prepared to swap the phone and neither is Nokia.

my solution is to fight and warn people whether I get a new phone or not, but one thing is for certain, if Nokia or the retailer does not remedy this product i will never support them again and will tell whoever I can about this problem. I work in the manufacturing industry and If a model from any brand or any product changes even slightly so does the model name or number with clear reasons why.

You enjoy your NOkia and come back to me when it needs replacing for some or other reason, then we will see if TV out doesnt bother you anymore

Message Edited by lkluyts on 25-Nov-2009 10:23 PM
Counsellor

[ Edited ]
this is another example of Nokia poor business decision...and it quality control.  Phone with this missing part or feature should never...never be release to the consumer or manufacture in the first place.
Message Edited by hbund188 on 10-Dec-2009 05:50 PM
Professor
froschy

this is another example of Nokia poor business decision...and it quality control.  Phone with this missing part or feature should never...never be release to the consumer or manufacture in the first place. 

Agreed!

I was dumbfounded when I read this post. How could Nokia make such a poor business decision (well as an N97 owner I know the answer to that).

If it was such a small number of handsets, why not just halt production of them until the component was available and have a press release explaining the reason. Now instead Nokia have another public relations time bomb where a lot of the affected owners won't even know that the feature is missing until they need it. A quick google of the problem and I imagine that a lot of the owners of the affected handsets will be pretty annoyed.

My recommendation for Nokia in two words: Product Recall 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Actually Nokia isnt the problem but the care center. Nokia care centers are franchised to local companies who run the, Here in the Philippines alone there are three different companies running the various Nokia centers. There is one Nokia center here where the people are absolute **bleep** heads while there is one with great service. I suggest when inquiring, instead of calling NC, use the contact us button on the local Nokia website as AFAIK it connects you to the Nokia head office in your country.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Sage
adi_vastava

Nokia care were always PITA, at least in India. Phone support have just one answer for any technical query "refer to local care center".

But this problem is at the decision making level, I think atleast they should have released the model with some change in version number like they did with N73. where generic version comes with all features and some specific version lacks that feature, plus they could have tried compensating that by providing some additional goodies to the customers. A small sticker at the back of box is really poor and should be avoided.

The guy bought it online has a valid point & no one will actually come to know abt this information unleass they recieve the box. Second the retailer do not buy handset directly from Nokia in most of the cases but throuh some distributor, so they can not be blamed if the information is not conveyed properly. Especially not every user searh forums before buying a phone.

Another thing is that in general websites have phone information stored at some database in server. Now for some phone for instance 5800 it is not possible to store two different information unless they have different version for it.

I am not an anti-nokia guy, but this time blame goes to them.

Aditya

Registered Member

Hi!

I am also affected by this: I bought my phone at the MTN outlet at Centurion Mall and didn't notice the tiny sticker at all. The salespeople there told me the AV cable was no longer included with the 5800's because it was very expensive. Which seemed odd at the time.

But anyway, I now discover this whole story after battling like mad to get a cable, finally buying one for R100 - only to find I was wasting my time and money. The TV out is something I really really want. The alternative is to buy a standalone WDTV or Iomega media player type device for at least R800. I really am very unimpressed by this.

So now that the components are available can Nokia not arrange for them to be put into the phones? Surely faulty components are replaced on phones by technicians all the time, so how hard would it be to add a missing component?

I am an avid supporter of Nokia, I have recommended them many many times over the years, and taken every opportunity to point out the superior user interface and functionality. I hope they will do something to remedy this situation.

Contributor
samevo888

The 5800 I bought from Dell Small Business also does not have video out and nowhere on my box or contents in the box was there information stating that this phone does not have TV out.  The only reference I see on the back of the box is a positive reference of "A/V out".  To me, that means it has "V" (Video) output.

What would make sense to me is that if a company says that it has Video output and the it doesn't, it's a defect (regardless of the cause.)  Thus, the responsible thing is to replace the phone with one that has that functionality.  

I talked to Nokia customer service for an hour yesterday and after having to dodge the typical simplistic steps (eg: "I want you to soft reset.  Then I want you to hard reset.  Have you plugged the cable in correctly?  Does your T.V. have video input?"), they told me to send the phone in for "evaluation."  

However, after reading this thread, I feel that sending my phone in for evaluation may not result in me getting a replacement phone at all.

Has anyone successfully returned their phone and gotten a replacement?

Has anyone confirmed that the no video/TV output is either 1) a temporary issue that happened for a short period of time (I read August 2009) or 2) how the 5800's will be made from now on?