Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Text & Uppercase (Capital Letters) & Undercase & E...

Advisor

Text & Uppercase (Capital Letters) & Undercase & E 90

Hello,

The E 90 is tuned in such a manner that automatically the first letter of a sentence is written in uppercase and all the other letters are automatically written in lowercase.

This is very irritating; especially since it is a different standard than I use on my laptop.

Are there any means to reprogram the E 90 in such a manner that the automatism of "the first letter in uppercase/capital" is switched off ?

May I hear?

Many thanks and kind regards,

Paul
Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: Text & Uppercase (Capital Letters) & Undercase & E 90

[ Edited ]
I also suffer because of this "feature" as it is against the way a PC computer works, and even against the way 9300i works ! I would gladly get rid of it, if possible. Maybe Nokia thinks the users of E90 need help with upper case / lower case... Or it is just a left-over from S60 which Nokia didn't bother to correct. It is true this feature is very good when texting on phone keypad, but on a QWERTY keyboard is eating more time and patience than saving.

Message Edited by vmoisa on 14-Aug-200706:49 PM

2110i, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6670, 9300, 9300i, E90, E72, HTC Touch Pro2, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S II
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi all,
has somebody has find the solution for that?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am afraid that I could not find any method to solve the problem and am just struggling onwards.

Kind regards,

Paul
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I've tried some simple text editing progs, but couldn't get rid of the problem.

As a journalist I write some of my texts on my communicator. - This uppercase feature is absolutely irritating. And not accaptable for a qwerty keyboard.

Does anyone know, how to contact the Nokia developers?

I think, Nokia has to provide a bugfix for that.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

no help on this yet.

i read in one thread that it can be done with simultanious pressing on both shift keys, but its not working for me.

And, ofcourse, as many other things, whats good for outside device is no good for inside. Again on track that its no good to have same UI on both screens.
Please use plain text.
Professor

I agree, this is again a stupid feature developped by a stupid guy who will never use it !

The fact that it forces an uppercase at the begin of a phrase can be acceptable, but the fact that pressing the [SHIFT] key to force the uppercase (standard way of working on ANY keyboeard) giving a lowercase is totally incomprehensible !

Again, this confirm me that Nokia did NOT test correctly, with end users, the E90 !

Domdom
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Funny, that this uppercase-bug (yes, I call it a bug) doesn't appear, when pressing a number or comma in a new line or new sentence. (That makes it even more irritating)

Another funny thing: If you clear an undercase letter at the beginning of a new sentence with [Shift + Delete (deletes from left to right)] and then try to correct it to an uppercase letter, this won't work. Neither by pressing [Shift + letter] nor by pressing [justletter].

It shouldn't be to difficult for Nokia developers to fix this with the next firmware update. - If Nokia sticks to the new OS for the Communicator, somebody has to take care of this problem sooner or later.

Text editing is an essential feature. - Nokia should concentrate on essential stuff before developing fancy stuff like SportsTracker.
Please use plain text.