Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: The new NOKIA E6

Advisor

Tevaman, you're absolutely right!

I had an E71, and I'm using an E72 for 18 months now (a record time for me!). Every three months I have to open my phone with a set of torx screw-drivers and gently brush the screen with a hand-wipe. Difficult to figure out how such a "smart" phone collects so much dust on the screen...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

NOW SHIPPING
http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/05/31/nokia-e6-and-nokia-x7-first-symbian-anna-phones-now-shippi...

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

Hurra

To me, the E6 is actually the first viable replacement for the E61i (same physical screen size).

I've had an E61i since 2007, and after a few initial troubles it has never even blinked a wrong blink and I take my phones everywhere, even Tropical Brazil. I still use mine to browse using Opera 6 and to call VOIP using TruPhone, which has always sucked on the E72.

In My Humble Opinion, those of us who have had to battle with our E72s for the last year (I don't recall having a single week when one of my E72s didn't let me down) should get a HEFTY DISCOUNT on an E6. €430 in Germany is a lot of money, sure it isn't €340 like its says in the Nokia blurb??

Smile away!

S

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Blowkick

I have the E6 for less than a week now, am impressed with the build quality but for a few small things, and did notice some areas that may benefit from improvements:

On the physical side:

-The little slider on the side that unlocks the screen feels rather flimsy. I'm having a hard time imagining it will outlive the 2 years of my new subscription. Not to mention the fact that its placement makes it very prone to unwanted unlocking because that is exactly where I'll hold the phone when pulling it out of my pocket. I want it to unlock with an intended move, not just because I happen to slide it by accident when taking the phone in my hands in my pocket. This is also the biggest beef I have with my new phone right now.

I'd have rather seen the same use of the top on/off button as with HTC's or iPhones: one press for screen lock/unlock (unlock could use the additional touch unlock button that it has when pressing the navigation key now). Then Press longer for more functions or to shut down the phone completely. It's just as simple, 

- One thing I did like about the volume buttons on my HTC as well was that, when not in a call or listening or music, they could be used to switch phone alert profile by simply adjusting the volume. One could of course adjust the ringing volume, but when the volume was turned completely down one could give one more press down to switch the phone to ‘meeting’ mode (no sound, no vibrate) and once more to switch to ‘silent’ mode (vibrate only). Perfect added value for those buttons!

This would of course require the volume level to be shown on the screen when using them. Something that is not the case right now.

- Notification light is virtually non-existent and pretty much useless due to its really low luminance.

Symbian:

- Too bad apps can only be placed in a shortcut-dock which I have to fill completely (or else it shows the open spots with their 'add app' icon).

- When I set an alarm, I'd like my clock to remember it and simply give me the opportunity to re-activate it for the next day. Too bad I have to create a new alarm everytime.

I really like the phone though, especially the combination physical keyboard and touchscreen works brilliantly and intuitively! Looks supersleek, and feels really nice in the hand when using it.

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

I'm coming from the E72 and will compare those features that are important for me. Got my E6 ~ a week ago. I'm synching with gmail (mail, contacts, calendar).

-Gmail synch: works great. The last flaws that the E72 had with gmail threads got eliminated. What I like best is that everything can be done throu the mail for exchange client, mail, contatcs and calendar get synched properly. No mor need for synching mail separately with a different client.

-notification light: literally invisible. Unlike the E72 where I could already see from a many meters distance if I missed a call or message, on the E6 you can basically not see the light, even in darker environments. I consider this as a severe design flaw, and already missed a couple of calls and messages.

-screen: great, MUCH better than the E72

-speed/performance: sufficient, although not sensational

-browser: great,a MAJOR step forward compared to the previous versions.

-battery life: is OK, but the one month that Nokia advertises for is just a fairy tale. I have to recharge every other or 3rd day, so a tad better than my (old) E72. I was hoping for a week or so, but no way. I'm making ~5 phone calls over BT headset each day and spend ~30 minutes surfing the web. Exchange is always on except during night hours.

-2 themes come with the phone, unfortunately both are not good for the calendar and email: certain cursor positions are barely visible. I hope for better themes to be released soon.

-Ovi store/apps:although I selected the E6, NONE of the apps that I wanted to try out could get installed (except Bloomberg). Nokia should have tested/fixed that before release.

-calendar: FINALLY they re-launched the phantastic month calendar view that the E72 had, with the appointment details showing next to the month calendar. THis is phantastic news, I consider that as the best calendar structure on the market.

- touch & type: great experience, this is what I was missing when using the E72. It really works great and is a phantastic addition that is fun and makes sense.

-sound: sound/phone speaker quality is phantastic, probably the best I every experienced on any phone, trough BT headset as well as directly on the phone's speaker.

-reception: excellent, also in weak signal areas. No "death grip" discovered yet.

-build: really very good, stainless steel back gives a solid feeling. For me it feels a little more solid even than the E72.

-keyboard: it is softer than the E72 but I personally like it better that way.

All in all a very likeable solid phone, I would really wish the notification light issue gets fixed (although I have no hope as I think this is hardware), and I am a little disappointed about the battery not lasting longer, but overall its a very nice and useful device.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rockluvva

Agree with gnirkatto about features for this phone - not had it long enough to properly test battery life & I'm shocked about the notification light as this will be a big thing for anyone who considers this phone, including me! I have to keep pressing the square button to make sure I haven't missed a world-changing text or call.  Plus why they haven't included email notification like on the E72 is anyone's guess.

Browser is so much quicker.  I have hardly had any issues with the phone freezing or locking up other than trying to access an SMS folder that contains 3800 messages - go figure, that could be why!!!  The larger memory is what initially attracted me to this phone, as the E72 memory was so bad I couldn't load any extra apps onto it.

But my emails (4 Hotmail accounts) are not getting "pushed" through automatically (I have to manually "send/receive", which is very frustrating, as this is also a key element to my usage of this phone, having come from the E72 myself) & don't know why this is happening. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

I think the only fix for the notification light is to use the keypad or the one-touch key pad lights if that is a separate light.  I can't see how else they can do it.

Lack of notification for email is very poor, especially since the device is trying to compete with blackberry.  This is a very bad mistake, especially for a model in its 3rd (4th?) evolution.  Why on earth not have that beautiful white LED charging light on the top and have that as the notification?? And allow users the option of email notifcation also....

Incidentally, the new email icon (next to the battery indicator) shown in the symbian anna promo screenshots does not exist or does not work. So unless you have a widget, you have no way of knowing that you have new email. Again, an amateurish omission and not what you would expect from Nokia.

Battery life is ordinary and nothing like what is claimed.  But it will do a day and a half with medium use and I think it will easily do a day of heavy use.

Beautiful hardware but some serious, amateurish omissions.

It is totally understandable why people are losing patience with Nokia.  I think a lot of loyal customers have probably had their patience (and loyalty) stretched far enough.  And it is showing in the market share stats.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arbakul

Does anyone of you has this annoying problem with keybord backlit, or is just unlucky me? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
charger01

No, everyone has that backlit keyboard problem...

Please use plain text.
Sage
gnirkatto

Since_6110 wrote:

I think the only fix for the notification light is to use the keypad or the one-touch key pad lights if that is a separate light.  I can't see how else they can do it.

Lack of notification for email is very poor, especially since the device is trying to compete with blackberry.  This is a very bad mistake, especially for a model in its 3rd (4th?) evolution.  Why on earth not have that beautiful white LED charging light on the top and have that as the notification?? And allow users the option of email notifcation also....

Incidentally, the new email icon (next to the battery indicator) shown in the symbian anna promo screenshots does not exist or does not work. So unless you have a widget, you have no way of knowing that you have new email. Again, an amateurish omission and not what you would expect from Nokia.

Battery life is ordinary and nothing like what is claimed.  But it will do a day and a half with medium use and I think it will easily do a day of heavy use.

Beautiful hardware but some serious, amateurish omissions.

It is totally understandable why people are losing patience with Nokia.  I think a lot of loyal customers have probably had their patience (and loyalty) stretched far enough.  And it is showing in the market share stats.

...even if you have a mail widget on the home screen, as long as you have screen saver/lock on, you will have to push a button and unlock the phone to check for new mails.

How pathetic is that, for a new phone that claims to be a "messenger"....!

Please use plain text.
Ashu_m

I have the new E6 now for a week. I owned the Communicator, 9500, E71, E72 and now the E6.

In general there is a lot to like. The device is a good cross between a business messenger and a multimedia phone. Finally it records video in mp4 and both video and images are pretty good :smileywink:

Symbian Anna is by no means finished and some items I have come to love are gone, like multiple select emails from the inbox to move or delete. This is pretty strange as the email client on the E72 has come a long way and some of the improvements are not in the new Symbian Anna email client.

Seamless connection from 3G to WiFi when possible does not seem to work very well. Not sure why.

Browser is pretty good. I do not like the touch buttons that are in the screen all the time. Whish there was a way to get rid of those. Also the shortcut keys that we are used from the E72 browser are gone. Very annoying.

There are some other small issues with the OS. I am sure we will see some regular updates to fix these, but all in all, very happy with the E6.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

[ Edited ]

sure these things will be fixed with "regular updates". every 6 months maybe??

the problem is, as elop correctly identified, that the symbian development team seem to be working in slow motion. symbian anna has not even been publicly released (apart from being shipped with e6 and x7) and it's already got the omissions i mentioned above.  how about some TIMELY updates instead of regular updates????

like gnirkatto correctly points out above: you have to unlock the phone to check if you have an email ?? even if you do have a mail widget.??? this is just garbage from symbian anna and it's not even publicly released yet? and on one of nokia's flagship email/messaging phones???  you are kidding me right ??

so we need to wait for symbian belle (i'm guessing october/november) before these deficiencies MAY get addressed - and judging by their record they will fix approximately half of the serious deficiences/bugs.  most of the rest will be fixed in symbian C (february 2012) and then things will be completely sorted out in symbian D (june 2012)... cool.... one year after i bought the phone....

sorry, do i sound  cynical ???

i know a lot of people (nokia employees and loyal nokia customers) don't like elop but at least he understood how much symbian's slow motion, 'couldn't care less' attitude and progress was affecting nokia and decided to light a fire under some people.

i was having dinner with someone from a leading branding company last night (actually, the leading branding company). their global brands survey for 2011 will be out in the next few months and he mentioned that nokia will certainly drop out of the top 10. it's so sad to see this but, as i have said above, nokia has stretched their customers' patience and loyalty enough. customers are now dropping off at an exponential rate... but more importantly the brand has suffered extraordinarily.

and how about how draft smses are completely lost by default now whenever you switch to another app or another screen, instead of being saved in drafts by default as they always were for the last 5 years... another annoying fault/bug/omission to add to the list.

symbian anna = half baked garbage.  nice new icons, though.

i am just an average person and i am passionate about nokia. i love showing my friends when i have the latest phone.  it is unfortunately getting so much harder to do this, and stay passionate.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NoLonger

I hate the New E6-00

Hello all,

Well like most of you, I have been super excited about this release. As soon as it was released I traded in my beloved E72 and bought one outright. Only $392.00. OH MY GOD, its a Lemon!!!!

I got the white one, and be very careful, becaue it is a "slippery little sucker" Hold onto it tightly, the whole phone is slippery. It does have a nice weight though. 

The hot swappable memory card at the top...hmmmmmmmm MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NAILS, good sturdy nails. I dont, therefore I needed a small paperclip to open the top and have since scratched my new "paperweight" Sorry, E6-00.

ANNA - Well admittedly its prettier than Symbian of past, but wait till you get to the native music player...No default for ALBUMS? Enjoy the never ending scrolling..JUST HATE IT.....I shall post more when I discover more about this DUD of a phone. Oh Nokia, I am a friend no more...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

Since_6110 wrote:

sure these things will be fixed with "regular updates". every 6 months maybe??

the problem is, as elop correctly identified, that the symbian development team seem to be working in slow motion. symbian anna has not even been publicly released (apart from being shipped with e6 and x7) and it's already got the omissions i mentioned above.  how about some TIMELY updates instead of regular updates????

I have yet to use a Nokia phone newer than S60 3rd Ed. FPx, but know what you mean.  Apple releases one phone a year, if that, but they make sure the phone really works, and from day 1.  If I was running Nokia, I would be reducing the hardware output to just a few phones a year, but make sure they are done right.  Releasing buggy or incomplete firmware jeopardizes the goodwill of even the most ardent Nokia supporters.  Let's hope they can turn it around.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

SCREEN is to small and looks claustrophobic nice phone but the X7 is my choice.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

I have one and the screen is fine.  It is one of the strong points of the phone. It has very high ppi.  Anyway, I think 'small screen' is probably more opinion as opposed to a bug or something requiring support....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rockluvva

[ Edited ]

Screen is a nice size (used to it from the E72) & is very responsive to the touch, but other than my emails aren't pushing through automatically (I have to manually send/receive- I have Hotmail accounts, which I'm trying to sort with Nokia), has anyone else found that when your phone is locked & you get a txt, your screen doesn't light up?  And if so, if there is a solution, what is it, please?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Since_6110

the screen does not light up when an sms comes in (by design or otherwise).  there is no setting to change this.

Please use plain text.
Aikonfinn

[ Edited ]

The Nokia E6 is nice, i like the metal design and curves. Impresive phone in this way of point.

BUT what NOKIA disappoint me and i believe not only me is the software or firmware. The Symbian has a lot of buggs ever since he was created, but i`m not going to review the olod verions of this firmware. I refer here on phones who came on market this year and the end of the last year, like C7, E7, N8, X7,E6 and so on.

Everybody expected that this phones witch are great designed to have a safer firmware, not jamming so fast, sunlight legibility to some models is very low, special the symbian anna phones. Since this new software symbian 3 and anna you must buy to some phones license to can edit office documents. Music player is an involution despite the older firmware, it doesn`t have a custom equalizer to media player-setings-equalizer, but only the native presets it contains, witch is very sad because if you put another headset you must customize your frequents one by one, perhaps you nees some bass and some 1.3-3 khz more. With the 6 or 7 native equalizers you will change the entire setting of the sound and not only the low fq`s or 1.3-3khz fq`s. I have a E72 phone and is very cool to can customize the equalizer. I have a lot`s of  head phones and allmost to everyone you must change the frequents to have a nice and profi sound. Some up phones also have problems with notification light. like E6, E7. The light appears but you can see only in the dark places, and is not viewable from every angle.

So my Nokia best phone since now would be Nokia E6 with all hardware that he has, BUT with Nokia E72 firmware.

Nokia should let go to the symbian and pass to android, is not a shame to do that, is not a shame to have the same soft in your phones like the others. Despite that fact, Nokia with their solid construction phones and great metal design BUT with android software will be in top of the class again.

I think associate with Microsoft with to develop MeeGo OS is a huge disaster for you Nokia as company. You will suffer very much, unfortunately.

I already know that a lot of employers from every world are fired already.

I have a E72, i was very enthusiastic to buy the new E6, but after the failure with the symbian anna i am not buyying anymore. Trowing money in the fire and than to be sorry, and nervous about it i don`t think so.

As we`ve uset to, Nokia corporation will not answer to their customers, although their customers have the right to know about the product witch they spent a lot`s of money on Nokia products. Afterall we, your clients keeps you alive.

Thank you for your patience!

Kind regards,

Aikon

Moderator's note:

We have edited your post as it contains your e-mail address. For your security, we do not allow posting personal or contact information in the discussion board. Thank you for understanding.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

thanks for your letter i would advise you to delete your mail address as its not allowed

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.