Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Time to change loyalties - Bye Bye Nokia....??...

Advisor
lazyfella1

Time to change loyalties - Bye Bye Nokia....???

I have been a Nokia loyalist since my first phone in 2005. And in spite of the awesome android and the amazing iPhone, I still went ahead and bought a Nokia 701 with all hopes that Nokia was back with a bang with Belle. However, its been six months and I'm facing lots of issues with this phone which seem to outweigh the pros.

1) Still a limited number of apps on Nokia Store. Envy all of my frens who invariably have android.

2) Absence of animated wallpaper.

3) In the previos Symbian S60 V5 (Nokia X6), I could customize the label in a contact which may have multiple numbers (a simple thing but very good for organizing). Lacks in Belle.

4) Cant edit song details and album cover like in X6

5) EDoF concept in cameras takes pathetic photos.

6) Apps like Whatsapp have more features in Android than in Belle.

7) The wifi access point always goes in uncategorised folder (dunno why)

8) Mail is not working after I installed MIcrosoft Apps 2.0

9) Week view missing in calendar

10) Nokia store is too bland and browsing for apps is boring.

11) Nokia Drop doesnt connect

12) Battery back up has reduced after FP1

13) After I use custom wallpaper for one of the screens and leave the others as default, then they go all black instead of the default theme wallpaper.

14) Phone hangs a lot even with limited number of apps.

15) Gallery UI is boring with pictures just in squares. Need the Nseries type of gallery which was awesome.

16) Many a times, Nokia store app in my phone doesnt detect the updates to apps and I miss out on updating my apps.

17) Profiles view missing in power button

18) Theme effects option removed.

19) Dust particles somehow make a way inside my screen. Can be seen prominently in a white background.

20) Nokia social is not user friendly. eg  in facebook, when I select one of the notifications (say, XYZ has uploaded a pic; naturally I wud select it from notifications) it says "No action available".

Apart from these, a few more things I believe Nokia is doing wrong.

1) Announcing a phone in February and launching it in June. Thats hilarious. Samsung was quick to launch Galaxy s3 after announcing.

2) Instead of developing Symbian and making it on par with Android, Nokia is dependant on third party ( Windows) for its survival. Dunno why.

I sincerely hope Nokia takes all my comments in a good faith and implements them. They are just an outrage from a Nokia fan who has loved Nokia since long and fought with his friends too on why he choose Nokia again. Hope Nokia doesnt let the remaining loyalties die away.

Nokia 701 Belle FP1
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lazyfella1

Re: Time to change loyalties - Bye Bye Nokia....???

I would request all to also share their views and problems they have faced to enable Nokia to further improve their services. Thank you.
Nokia 701 Belle FP1
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jiteshdhawan

As expected, there are no responses as you are highlighting some of SYMBIAN Problems. Had it been Windows phone, it will be answered immediately by Nokia staff.

*disappointed*
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I would add poor construction quality to the list: already mentioned dust, then there's a squeaky plastic piece below the front buttons and the unlock cursor looks like it's coming off.

And maybe I'll add bad design: why in hell have I to remove battery to insert-remove a memory card, when it was hot-swappable on my old 5800?

Lack of camera autofocus function makes QR scanning apps (like UpCode) useless unless you're scanning from a big poster.

After I do a full backup with Nokia Suite, my 701 syncs mail on its own (why?) and then hangs (have to remove battery to recover). Nice, huh?

So... maybe I'm changing faith as well... hard to decide towards what. Still don't like Android, nor Apple, not to talk about RIM. Windows would be as bad, since now it's running with Nokia... Suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lazyfella1

hehe...there are good options like HTC one and Galaxy S3...also iphone 5 is coming....u can check them out...
Nokia 701 Belle FP1
Please use plain text.
Advisor
soryuuha

Smartphone to make yourlife arrangement smarter than before, not buying/download apps.

but stupid consumer nowadays buy smartphone to buy/download apps later on.

This information age really makes human dumber
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Click the White Star icon if my post helped :3
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KevDaMan

Get a Nokia 808 instead.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Netizen99

I love the simplicity of Symbian phone, altougth it don't have as much features and apps than other platform. I still like it. But since Belle release, I find the Nokia is just give up. No any new Apps that you find you must download for a try for months. The Apps that once it can work are gone, an Apps from one of the local free newspaper stop working for whole month. They just ignore this error, it seems smartphone only mean Android and IPhone.

Proview 808 have a very good comment about the camera, but it take months to release and almost everyone have forgot it. I heard the quota for 1st log of Proview is 200! I'm in a city that people have more than 10 million mobile phones in total!

Have Nokia already become part of Microsoft that production of Windows Phone is their only concern?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dwarf2008

Its not only about good looking handsets and millions of apps, Everyone knows Nokia handsets has better build quality than any one in the market. Yes I know there are some issues with Symbian. But I hope Nokia is looking on it. I am not against you or your thinking but - I am against the thinking that some os has millions of apps and symbian doesnt have it. Ask any Android or iOS user how many apps they have in their cell right now / or till date they have used, I am damn sure it wouldnt cross even 50 !!!

Regards.
Vatsal
Please use plain text.
Contributor
KevDaMan

I only know personally that it was almost worth the hassle going through to get my hands on the 808 Pureview than getting the Galaxy S III. Seriously, with the tons of APPs going around, how many people actually use them constantly? But i must admit, some need to use APPs may not be available in Belle, but what the heck, i use mainly the phone , SMS and of course the camera on it. That's the main reason i got it in the first place.
I'll continue to use Nokia until they stop coming out with a suitable phone for my use.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Wiskey

21. Symbian^3 used to play AVI, MKV and FLV files, belle doesn't;

22. N95 had the best music player ever and now Belle's music player doesn't even have a search function;

23. Every update brings more bugs rather than solutions to the bugs in previous versions;

24. Skype and Yahoo messenger have video calling support for every other platform except Symbian and WP;

25. Symbian and WP are the last platforms considered when new apps/games are released and most of the times a version for these isn't even released;

26. There used to be a Nokia Converter app which was very useful and now it's gone.

27. It's been months since the Belle update was released and I still can't use Social and many other apps because of an old bug!

Plus many more which I can't think of right now and I also agree with the first post. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get the Galaxy S3 or continue with Nokia and get the 808 pureview... WP is not an option.

Please use plain text.
Sage
SR_N8

Taking example of Linux and Windows for PCs I foresee that WP8 will beat all the rest mobile platforms in few years.

I myself went to shop last week took Galaxy S3 and Nokia 808... I selected 808 because of camera, it is heavy and solid and most important it does all I actyally need in my daily life.

808 is very simple to use (I used to Nokia) and it has all required for my daily needs already frm the box.

Galaxy interface, widgets, apps are extremely nice looking but I am not ready to compromise on simplicity and reliability just for "nice look". Frankly speaking I do not trust to Android developers and not ready to share my private and busyness emails, credit card details, etc with Android app developers. Nokia in this sence appears to me to be more reliable and trustworthy. I prefer less apps but simle, power efficient and trustworthy. Android is good for yonger generation because it indeed looks very attractive. But price for such attractiveness is too much requirements towards hardware and battery... Which I find a bit useless at this stage. Hope scientists will come up with some breackthough in batteries in short time... then it will be time to switch to Nice looking apps :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
BarryB20

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have owned a LOT of non Nokia phones and I can tell you for me once the thought of the apps, downloading / paying for them and never actually using them, I go back to what I use my phone for which is not apps based

That is the question you need to ask yourself, what you want from the phone, not what your friends have / do. I played draw something with friends, got bored don't play it anymore.

So at the end of the day get what you want, one vendor /os / model is not a magic bullet no matter what the blogs / fan boys say, doesnt matter if a phone or OS doesnt do X or Y if you dont need / use them then why bother.

BTW just sold my One X and I am waiting a 808, I have no allegiance to any one mark, at the end of the day do whats best for you! :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Barry

Please use plain text.
Sage
classic_sis

@lazyfella1

I had ever used Nokia Symbian phone too, it was Nokia 6730 classic. The design is good, compact, small. But, it has problem when steaming via YouTube app and via its native browser. If I stream via YouTube app for more than 3 minutes, it always hang/can't be switch off (should take off the battery to switch it off), it's annoying. If when I am streaming I get an incoming message, it gets hang directly. While if I use native browser, it always say 'unable to connect to the server'.Other disadvantage is lack of apps. In Symbian, for example, you will never find SNES emulator at Nokia Store, while in Android, it is available for free. Other apps that I like are available too in Android. Some high version of Symbian, such as Belle might be better than Symbian S60, but, they seem will be a nostalgia.
Niki
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Phantom3D

Went from a one X to a Razr maxx, and now the 808. No regrets so far. I got all the apps I really need!
Please use plain text.
Sage
Briant566

Hi
Have Just bought this Phone to try it out to replace my Galaxy Ace still not convinced
Plus points
Better battery Better GPS Brighter Screen in Daylight

Bad points
Unable to place notes and folders on desk top
Calendar is small and text is small and has fewer options for notes
than Ace
Also can not see any thing like device manger to manage apps or clear cache

I am glad I kept my Ace till I have tried it out
On the apps side you are right all they seem to be is themes verey few useful utilities

I will give it bit longer
Nokia 701 Helping with Lumia 800
Please use plain text.
saiarchith

It is really high time, NOKIA TEAM, please work out on technical bugs, restart, freezing, hanging,... this is very general issues and common issues on NOKIA PHONES NOW A DAYS....

I am also one of the Loyalists of NOKIA... and thinkng seriously to say BYE BYE TO NOKIA......but unfortunately, due to user friendly menus, and  as I am accounstomed to use the NOKIA PHONES, I am slightly reluctant.... but Now seriously, doing market research to find alternate, Brand to start use.....

NOKIA TEAM ARE YOU SERIOUD IN RETAINING YOUR LOYALISTS... PLEASE WORK TOWARDS THAT......

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
marcek6

Hi, I know how you feel. I agree about the problems you mentioned. Maybe add some of mine:

-Microsoft mobile office is completely useless. I have done a hard reset and reinstalled everything and the damn pdf.s still don't work

-Adobe reader LE is just lagg,lagg, freeze, lagg.

-When searching for Adobe reader LE in Nokia store, it's nowhere to be found. Well, google finds it...

-No music equalizer

-There's no way to sync photos and videos separately even if I put them in a hidden folder (_PAlbTN)

-Really don't get it what's the purpose of the music viewer? in Ovi suite.

-The system never lasts longer than a year. It needs to be reinstalled. S40 still works excelent after 6+ years.

-The phone might be powerful enough for it's default apps, but it's nowhere near powerful enough for let's say Opera Mobile... 

So I am also waving goodbye 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lazyfella1

The problems are just keeping on increasing. My music player has now corrupted. Is not playing any music.....its been just around seven months and I'm tight on a budget. Thats why cant shift. Otherwise would have shifted to some other brand.

Nokia 701 Belle FP1
Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

[ Edited ]

I have tried a Nokia E6-00 with Belle recently, and I have noticed some changes in the Symbian OS that for me make the phone less handy.

One thing that I miss in recent phones (I include the E6-00 as well as the iPhone and Android phones that I have tried in their out-of-the-box state, i.e. without having to install other apps) is:

I can place a few commonly used shortcuts to commonly used apps on the standby screen, along with a calendar that will display up to 6 one-line entries of upcoming events. All this on a 240x360 screen on a small phone with a keypad (n79).

As far as applications are concerned, it really depends on what you need and what your expectations are. I use something called "FlyingVoice" which allows me to record a voice memo to automatically have sent to my email address. "Vlingo" seems to work well on my phone for dictated notes, email, to-do reminders and Google searches. The internet radio app works well and the podcast application is very convenient in the way that subscriptions are handled with a minimum of fuss. Skype works (audio only). Nokia Maps/Navigation work well (as well as any other maps app I've tried - they all seem to have their quirks), and they allow offline use. JoikuSpot allows me to share my cell data connection with any device capable of accepting "ad-hoc" type internet access.

What would I like? Updated web browser. Faster hardware for certain tasks.

I wish I could find a relatively small keypad or QWERTY phone, perhaps with a touch screen (sound familiar?) that retains the advantages I listed above. There are situations where a touch screen alone does not suffice. For instance, I do like a dedicated camera shutter key. I also find certain text editing and screen navigation/selection tasks to be easier with physical hardware.

I guess I'll hold on to the n79 until something important for which I use the phone becomes impossible, most likely due to changing standards (web browser), or if the interaction between current internet-using applications and their remote servers (Google, Vlingo, Skype) fails. At that time, I'll see what Nokia, Apple, and Samsung, etc. are offering.

The above is merely my opinion regarding what I need in a phone, not a discussion of comparative merits of operating systems or manufacturers.

Please use plain text.