Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Turning off portrait mode in Nokia 701

Contributor
Sergii2009
Accepted Solution

Turning off portrait mode in Nokia 701

I can turn off lanscape mode only... Can you  advise any software for turning off  portrait mode?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

For what~?
YOU CANT turn of portrait.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sergii2009

[ Edited ]

For example for SWYPE printing. Screen in the portrait mode is not convenient for Swype.  

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

so turn the phone over 90 degrees when you use Swype.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tahvo

Yes you can set it off. But then it wont change at all. Settings->phone settings sensors turn screen automaticly. I have the N8 it should be the same whit that phone
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sergii2009

First of all  I would like to inform you that I found good solution - small prog. My Screen Orientation from OVI. You CAN NOT  turn off portrait mode in Nokia 701 in the phone setting. Instead you can turn off lanscape mode only.  My Screen Orientation can set lanscape/portrait mode for any appl. Its so strange that Symbian Belle has not this ability... Nokia support team you are fired :smileyhappy:  

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

This is exactly the same for Symbian S^3 and Anna. Turning of orientation sensor locks phone in portrait-mode (disables landscape as you write).

There's also from:

Lantarnsoft --> PhoneRotate
Alexander Fokin --> quickRotate

also both available in OVI-store.

You can't expect Nokia to pamper every user. There's room to improve the OS, yes indeed. But Nokia provides the necessary information to developpers so they can should/could fill-in the gaps of missing OS-features. It's called 'opportunity'. Why complain?

At least in Symbian you get the complete, honest info and the tools to make an app yourself. Apple, Google and Microsoft keep vital information to themselves to deliberatly get a tight grip on their OS (features). This is so they can gradually add the missing features into new devices and forcing people to buy new phones regularly.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sergii2009

Than you very much for explanation that  Nokia cant pamper every user... Unfortunately I did not understand why Nokia can not fix orientation mistake in  Symbian Belle / Anna. For me is also unclear why  third-party software should pamper Nokia for solution of this problem. 

Maybe not only nokia support team should be fired :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

[ Edited ]

It's not a mistake, so there is nothing to fix.

It's a feature you want, that isn't there .. .there is a huge difference.

The option to be able to turn of portrait mode is probably very low on the request list I suspect.

I have never before your post heard of anyone wanting to use their phone in only landscape mode ever....   I'm not saying it's wrong to want that , but I suspect it is not a feature requested very often.

So my point is,.....it's not a mistake by Nokia to not include a feature you personally want.

There is always personal preferences, and it is impossible to make everyone happy, so you aim to make a majority happy, and add the most requested features first. Adding the option you ask for would not make a huge impact for the user, you don't need to use it if you don't want, so hopefully this is something Nokia will add in the future.  

(One could argue that it is a mistake to not check if the phone has the features you want before buying it, but I wont do that :smileyhappy:   ..or did I just do that anyway ) 

By the way  third-party software is not pampering Nokia... they are making money by filling a void for some users. if the service they provide, that Nokia is not, is in huge demand they can even make huge amounts of money.   ...just look at joikuspot as an example. Joikuspot's technology is even included now on the N9 because their solution is that good, and so highly requested. 

Apple by the way have made a huge profit on their iPhone that is practically useless on it's own, because you need to download applications to do anything most Nokia phones can do from the start.

As developer for Nokia you have freedom to develop what you want. You can choose to sell your application through the Nokia store and reach a bigger audience, and for this Nokia will take a small part of your profits, or you can if you want, sell your application on your own site and earn everything for yourself ...

With Apple you have no such freedom unless you only cater to jailbroken phones. And if you choose the Apple App store your application can be banned for no reason at any time .... or worse Apple will ban it and steal your idea and months later add it like their own solution ...this has happend more then once and you earn nothing. And if you are approved in their store, Apple wants a much bigger take of your profits then Nokia

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sergii2009

I see that you did not use 701 as a personal phone. I have only one reason to ask for this program - abnormal and unpredictable  switching of orientation by Nokia 701’s sensor… It’s not only my problem – you can find a lot of similar posts on this site if you use magic word “orientation” for search. 

Some words about Nokia software. You blame Apple for “because you need to download applications to do anything most Nokia phones can do from the start”. Unfortunately it is a half of truth.  All users of Symbian Belle have no “from the start” and can’t download for any money such important applications as Skype and Google Maps. All users 701 also download Opera and Swype and don’t use Nokia browser and standard input. Sorry ..

You could explain me that Nokia is not responsible for Skype, Google Maps or  Fring (also incompatible with Belle).  There is old proverb: A fish rots from the head down.  Management of Nokia should understand that the only Nokia  is responsible for compatibility of new Symbian and leading  communication software. I had Nokia E71 (good!) , Nokia E72 (bad! memory is not enough for new Symbian revision) and have Nokia 701 now.  It’s sad to say but 701 has  50%-60% of capability of  E71 now.  But there is a good news for Nokia  – competitors don’t realize how important for customers is an operation time or  “ last reason to buy Nokia phone” : )   

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nobbyk

Hello Sergii2009,

you do not need to pay money for getting Google Maps for Nokia701.

Just go to http://m.google.com and download all Google applications for Symbian you like including Google Maps.

Google Maps v.4.1.1 is running fine and without any problem on my Nokia 701.  (Firmware version 111.010.1009). Of course Google Maps for Symbian does not include voice navigation but this is also the case for your beloved E71 or E72.

nobbyk

Please use plain text.
Professor
JudaZ

[ Edited ]

I'm not blaming anyone.   ... you are

I think you need to understand that the creator of an application is responsible for their application.  Not the developer of the system someone else decided to make their application for ... 

Nokia is not responsible for example the fact that Skype has not made video calling possible.   It is Skype's fault .. not Nokia. and other applications can do videocalling to Skype , but Skype has not. 

If you create an application for an operating system, and this operating system change for some reason. It is in your best interest as developer to create a new version. ...otherwise you are letting your customers down...

If i understand it correctly you wanted the phone to always stay in landscape mode, at all times. and you felt it was a mistake that this optinon is not possible.

..only thread i find about this is this one.

Abnormal behaviour of the screen orientaiton is a totally diffrent thing... if the sensor is not working correctly ...there is a possible hardware issue. 

But the fact that the screen orientation behaviour is not working correctly is not what you talked about before. You complained about the option to only lock in portrait and not landscape, and that turning of sensors would set the phone for normal use, protrait mode only, and not landscape mode only

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Sergii2009

Firmware version 111.020.0307 . Google Maps is not running on my 701...
Please use plain text.